PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to the Langka kit!

Paul Workman
04-18-2008, 08:45 AM
I had a few minor minor rock chips and I got a chance to use the Langka kit. WOW! I was hoping for a repair that would not be noticed by someone that didn't know where to look. But, I never expected the kit to completely repair the chips to where I couldn't see 'em, even knowing exactly where they were - as tho they were never there!!

With the touch-up paint applied properly, the chips are absolutely impossible to see when finished. And, it and only took a minute total (not including a couple hours for the paint to dry) to clean the chip, apply the paint (blob) and "sand" it off and seal it. After I got done, I noticed a few more little "ticks" and one or two that I didn't get enough paint into to fill the pit entirely. But, I'll tell ya what...I'm very impressed with the (perfect!) results!!:dancing

Did I mention I filled a key scratch by the door lock perfectly too? Yep! Next, I'm going to see how it works to cover some places where some sh*t-fist used a buffer w/o safety taping the joints - burned thru to the undercoat in severl places:thumbsdo:.

I'll look it over again today, as I wait for my prep supplies to arrive (going to clay bar it and then fire up the "7424" to remove the light spider webbing/swirl marks before beginning the show car polish process).:)

Anywayz...I thought I might pass this on to others re the Langka kit.

P.

GrayZ
04-18-2008, 09:06 AM
ahh....Paul.....the missing link?

DaveK
04-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Glad it seemed to work for you though Paul.

I tried the same stuff - www.langka.com - and was entirely unimpressed. The stuff that supposedly takes the paint blobs down seemed about as effective as water - I was rubbing for what felt like hours. Not only that but by the time I'd finished the scratches were still not filled in and it was like I hadn't done anything. I wouldn't use it again. I guess it's a question of 'your mileage may vary'.

Jagdpanzer
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Paul,
What color is your Z and where did you get the touch up paint?

Jagdpanzer
04-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Paul, you still with us?

Paul Workman
04-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Paul, you still with us?

Still here...Sorry, musta missed your post:o!

Mine is "bright red". I got the touch up paint from a dealer, but then discovered the exact same paint in the automotive section at a local WalMart.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x220/6PPC_bucket/Vettes/ZR-1010Small.jpg

I don't have any "before and after" pix of the chips, but this is the color.

P.

Paul Workman
04-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Glad it seemed to work for you though Paul.

I tried the same stuff - www.langka.com (http://www.langka.com) - and was entirely unimpressed. The stuff that supposedly takes the paint blobs down seemed about as effective as water - I was rubbing for what felt like hours. Not only that but by the time I'd finished the scratches were still not filled in and it was like I hadn't done anything. I wouldn't use it again. I guess it's a question of 'your mileage may vary'.

I was told that drying time was critical to get it "just right"; too short and the paint washed out with the "sanding". Too long (I'm told) is no better.

At about 65ºF (approx 19ºC) and 1 hour my first experiment turned out the time was too short - the blob wiped right out. I got lucky, I guess, cuz my next experiment was after 3 hours and that was "golden" (beginner's luck I recon). I used a piece of a cotton Tshirt stretched tightly over the plastic card that came in the kit, and "sanded" across the scratch, not lenghtwise.

Sorry 'bout your luck. Apparently, there is some art to it, no?

P.

DaveK
04-24-2008, 05:05 PM
I was told that drying time was critical to get it "just right"; too short and the paint washed out with the "sanding". Too long (I'm told) is no better.

At about 65ºF (approx 19ºC) and 1 hour my first experiment turned out the time was too short - the blob wiped right out. I got lucky, I guess, cuz my next experiment was after 3 hours and that was "golden" (beginner's luck I recon). I used a piece of a cotton Tshirt stretched tightly over the plastic card that came in the kit, and "sanded" across the scratch, not lenghtwise.

Sorry 'bout your luck. Apparently, there is some art to it, no?

P.

That's interesting information Paul, thanks. On that basis I was nowhere near the 'sweet spot'. I might try it again and see if it works better with the 3 hour period. I don't recall the directions with it mentioning that timescale though.

ZR1FUN
06-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Paul - Did you try the do something with the burn thru spots yet? I have that problem in a couple of places as well as chips and scratches.
Doug

Paul Workman
08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Paul - Did you try the do something with the burn thru spots yet? I have that problem in a couple of places as well as chips and scratches.
Doug

Sorry for not getting back sooner - outta sight, outta mind (obscure forum page, I recon;) )

RE the burns, I was able to hide a few by painting over them and feathering the paint out along the unburned edge. Then, using the kit, I "sanded" very lightly until the paint was leveled out and the height blended in. I'm sure a professional would have some really good pointers. But, I was able to repair a few of the more noticeable ones (like along the edge of the hood where I could see it thru the windshield :mad:

Mine is not a show car, and no doubt a pro could teach us all a few tricks. However, I'm very happy with the few locations I tried so far. I'll take some pics and post them for ya.

P.