PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein Shocks

JDNewYork
04-19-2005, 11:45 PM
I posted this on another forum with no success. So, I'll try here. I want to replace the existing Bilstein shocks on a non-ZR-1 1995 coupe because it appears they have never been replaced. The car handles okay but appears sloppy. I do not think it is the actuators because I do not have a warning light. Bilstein lists two versions of the shocks: one with the Z51 suspension and one without the Z51 package. I could not find a Z51 code for 1995. My car has the FX3 handling package. There is no Z51 code on the original window sticker. What is the Z51 suspension and how does it relate to the FX3? How do I determine if I have the package. Thanks.

Maciek
06-17-2005, 07:57 PM
You have FX3 susspension (it's active susspension) it's differend from Z51 and non Z51(base). Z51 and Base haven't actuators. You can buy Bilstein FX3 shocks for example in Mid America or Eckler's but it's 200 $ each ( in GM 400 $ each).

JDNewYork
06-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the input. It is funny that I need to get the info from Poland for a Corvette! Again, thank you.

Maciek
06-24-2005, 06:18 PM
You welcome :-D

Jeffvette
07-22-2005, 07:37 PM
You can send you shocks into Bilstein and have them rebuilt. Costs range from 50-100 per rebuild.

Jim Jones
07-27-2005, 11:08 AM
You can send you shocks into Bilstein and have them rebuilt. Costs range from 50-100 per rebuild.

Have you ever done it and what is the turnaround time? Just curious.

Jeffvette
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
3 weeks to a month. Depending upon where you live it's 1 week shipping each way, then 1-2 weeks for the rebuild.

Yes, I've done it and I went with a revalve.

Hib Halverson
07-31-2005, 11:00 AM
I posted this on another forum with no success. So, I'll try here. I want to replace the existing Bilstein shocks on a non-ZR-1 1995 coupe because it appears they have never been replaced. The car handles okay but appears sloppy. I do not think it is the actuators because I do not have a warning light. Bilstein lists two versions of the shocks: one with the Z51 suspension and one without the Z51 package. I could not find a Z51 code for 1995. My car has the FX3 handling package. There is no Z51 code on the original window sticker. What is the Z51 suspension and how does it relate to the FX3? How do I determine if I have the package. Thanks.

First, forget all this stuff about base and Z51. You don't have either of those. Also, Z51 was not available in 95, anyway. You have Selective Ride Control "SRC" which some refer to as FX3. They are shocks with adjustable damping via a "bypass valve" in side the shock that changes its position according vehicle speed.

SRC is not, as is said elsewhere in this thread, "active suspension". The suspension on your car is p***ive but does have "ride-adaptive dampers" (the generic technical term for SRC).

How many miles are on this 95 and what makes you think the shocks are worn out?

Also, when you key-up, does the "service ride control" light flash once on then go off? If so, the system's electronics are working properly. If the "service ride" light does not flash at all on key-up, the bulb may be burned-out or removed.

95ZR1
08-02-2005, 10:47 PM
censor test....
passive
p a s s i v e
assistance
bass
..... nevermind.....

GOLDCYLON
08-01-2007, 11:29 AM

Or you can buy them new from eshock.com

cuisinartvette
08-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Bilstein will nail you for an extra $45 per shock for a new rod every time. Cost me about $600 for four to be revalved. No warranty

cuisinartvette
08-12-2007, 10:14 AM
They are on...Rides pretty good-not quite as firm as I thought they would be but acceptable. I probably like a firmer ride than most though, borderlining on stiff.

Edit: After driving it for two days these things have really showe thier stiffness. Have it set on tour....Yep, Im happy. Shes firm all right .