PDA

View Full Version : Inside wheel well cleaning

rogerzr1
01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
What do you guys use to clean the shocks, brakes, suspension, and calipers. Next time I raise the car I am goint to take of the wheels and try and clean inside the wheel well. I just don't want to use something that might damage any parts.

4DSZR1
01-28-2008, 09:18 AM
What do you guys use to clean the shocks, brakes, suspension, and calipers. Next time I raise the car I am goint to take of the wheels and try and clean inside the wheel well. I just don't want to use something that might damage any parts.

Hi Roger,

I use an old but clean, yellow microfiber cloth that I soaked and wring out for the plastic wheel well liners. The good thing about the MF towels is they are strong and I can use long dowels to poke them into places during the anal fits of detailing I seem to have too often.
For the shocks, you dont want to use something too strong as the paint Bilstein uses seems to be a little tender. What I like there is the presoaked cleaning towels from ArmourAll. After they are clean I use a cheap cleaner wax and give them a nice shine.

For the calipers I carefully use spray brake cleaner and a soft stainless steel brush.http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r96/4dszr1/DSC02041.jpg

rogerzr1
01-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Roger,

I use an old but clean, yellow microfiber cloth that I soaked and wring out for the plastic wheel well liners. The good thing about the MF towels is they are strong and I can use long dowels to poke them into places during the anal fits of detailing I seem to have too often.
For the shocks, you dont want to use something too strong as the paint Bilstein uses seems to be a little tender. What I like there is the presoaked cleaning towels from ArmourAll. After they are clean I use a cheap cleaner wax and give them a nice shine.

For the calipers I carefully use spray brake cleaner and a soft stainless steel brush.http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r96/4dszr1/DSC02041.jpg

What do you use to clean the support arms of the suspension.

I would love it if some day mine could look even close to what yours looks like.

djpatrick35
01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
The suspension arms literally just wipe off with a wet microfiber cloth like he said. It's pretty amazing but nothing seems to stick to those. The only problem is trying to get the towel in tight places.

rogerzr1
01-28-2008, 08:34 PM
The suspension arms literally just wipe off with a wet microfiber cloth like he said. It's pretty amazing but nothing seems to stick to those. The only problem is trying to get the towel in tight places.

That may be the case in a well taken care of car. Man, have I taken on quite a project. My car has 93,000 miles on it and it looks like it has never been cleaned in the wheel well. I am going to clean this car up, but what a mess. She will never look as good as most of the pictures of the cars I have seen on the registry, but I am going to do the best that I can.

I appreciate all the advice and help. Thanks.:thumbsup:

4DSZR1
01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the compliment Roger.

I use Nevrdull on the aluminum. I like it because it doesn't use abrasive to polish so the sharp detail is left sharp. Its a dirty job so wear your latex gloves :)

http://www.properautocare.com/nevrdull.html

bldavis11
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
No great shakes on the wheel well cleaning. Here's a few tips that I had to learn the hard way. Someone had driven my car through what looks to be wet tar. Getting that crap off of the wheel well molding is a PITA. I purchased a multipurpose gets-everything-out cleaner from Wal-Mart (Goo-Gone or something like that). I took apart the whole wheel well assembly and started working each piece over with a rag. It took quite some time, but eventually it was all clean.

To knock the junk off the suspension components, I used a liberal amount of break cleaner and a stiff plastic bristle brush. I just kept after it with break cleaner and most of it came right off. After the nasty stuff was done, I went to Simple Green for the rest of the it.

I used the Mothers Aluminum and Mag polish with great results. I've also had good luck with the NeverDull product. Take before and after pics for us!

RICKYRJ1
02-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the compliment Roger.

I use Nevrdull on the aluminum. I like it because it doesn't use abrasive to polish so the sharp detail is left sharp. Its a dirty job so wear your latex gloves :)

http://www.properautocare.com/nevrdull.html

Nice link, I just checked it out and they carry some of the top of the line detailing products. User support seems strong as well. Thanks

RICKYRJ1
02-01-2008, 11:34 PM
What do you use to clean the support arms of the suspension.

Use the Mothers metal polish with 0000 steel wool.
I would love it if some day mine could look even close to what yours looks like.
Just when I think my car is clean, someone has to post a pic like this. On my way out to the garage to step up my game. Can you post a pic of the front side of your wheels? If the backs look that good I need to see the fronts.=D> :cheers:

bldavis11
02-03-2008, 12:00 AM
I have done business with both properautocare.com as well as autogeek.net. I've had good experiences with both. Properautocare is based in Tampa where as AutoGeek is somewhere in South Florida (West Palm Beach maybe?). The shipping is fast and everything's been as advertised. The more you look into this whole aspect of cars, the more you realize that a good number of the products are actually just the same thing repackaged. You'll need to pick up brand name stuff to know you're getting something different.

The off-label suff isn't bad at all though! I've had fantastic results with the autogeek house brand stuff.

Kevin
02-03-2008, 02:41 AM
DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT use simple green

HIZNHRZ
02-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't use it but what's wrong with simple green?

bldavis11
02-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Nothing is wrong with it. Most people purchase the super concentrated form (that the company purposely sells in a squirt bottle) and use it straight up. I dilute it down 1:10 or so it's a fantastic all purpose cleaner.

Maybe Kevin thinks that I am suggesting Simple Green for cleaning the plenum or other painted engine bay components; I'm not. It does work great as a mild degreaser or detergent.

Jagdpanzer
02-03-2008, 12:26 PM

I've read that it is tough on the composite springs.

Kevin
02-03-2008, 07:13 PM
simple green is known to eat the leaf spring and crack it

bldavis11
02-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Who's experienced this problem?!? YIKES!

Kevin
02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Who's experienced this problem?!? YIKES!
Gordon was telling stories of having seen it. And if he says he's seen it, I'm not going to doubt him or risk it.

tomtom72
02-12-2008, 06:02 AM
I know that this may be too late to be of any use for you Roger, sorry. I was cleaning my wells this weekend & had some very good results by using Adam's All porpose cleaner & the Undercarriage dressing as a lsp.

Sorry for being sooo late to speak up. It's just that usually I hose them out when washing the car and use the left over car wash soap on them. This time I ran thru some road salt and the mess was really bad, as it was about a week before I could get to scrubbing on it.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along about the Adam's stuff. It worked like a charm on the liners and even the backs of my wheels! The wheels only get dunn once a yr and I use semi-metallic pads so you can just imagine the mess inside the barrels! I just was blown away by the ease with which the Adam's cleaner (it's the green stuff) worked on the brake dust and the general dirt on everything....I'm sold & gonna go order up some stuff from them.

:cheers:
Tom

Corvette95
09-17-2008, 07:51 AM
there is NOTHING wrong with simple green for any parts of the car including the springs.... cleaner with acid like deep purple etc WILL eat the leaf springs but simple green is 100% safe... I promise. Gordon K was talking about acidic cleaners...he personally uses simple green himself (I am a grad of all his schools too btw)

RedSled
09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Thankyou for the tip on Nevrdull. I'm just starting to use it and it is amazing. thanks.

- Keith '90 Red/Red #1383