PDA

View Full Version : 91 back home after SCG Tune Up

L8apex
01-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Well, it took a while to get it home after Aaron got through with it but its home where it belongs in VA again. Dropped it off in Jax,NC at FASTZR!'s house to dodge the snow in VA last week.

Picked it up yesterday and made a 200 mile run back home with 2 2000FRC's. Aarons port polish, port match, and chip picked up about 25 RWHP(SAE corrected) and it was evident from 5000-6500 in 4th gear ;)

Only rubbed the rear of the FRC's a couple of times as I was riding ttail gunner to their Radar Detectors. Did find out that C5's stop a whole lot faster than a ZR-1 as we applied binders at 100+

All in all I'm tickled with the work Aaron did, only slight issue is the higher idle with the hot chip at about 1000rpm. not really a problem, I just don't care for the fast idle speed. Not sure if there is a way to drop it down without burning a new chip.

1990 quasar blue
01-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Congrats on the new power. Did Aaron open up the throttle body as well, or just the intake and injector housings? Mine idled high as well when I put it back together. It turned out that the throttle mechanism that you hook the throttle cable to was slightly bent and causing the throttle to stick slightly. I fixed it with a screwdriver in about five seconds. I don't want to admit how long it took to figure out what was actually wrong.

rkreigh
01-07-2005, 05:08 AM
Well, it took a while to get it home after Aaron got through with it but its home where it belongs in VA again. Dropped it off in Jax,NC at FASTZR!'s house to dodge the snow in VA last week.

Picked it up yesterday and made a 200 mile run back home with 2 2000FRC's. Aarons port polish, port match, and chip picked up about 25 RWHP(SAE corrected) and it was evident from 5000-6500 in 4th gear ;)

Only rubbed the rear of the FRC's a couple of times as I was riding ttail gunner to their Radar Detectors. Did find out that C5's stop a whole lot faster than a ZR-1 as we applied binders at 100+

All in all I'm tickled with the work Aaron did, only slight issue is the higher idle with the hot chip at about 1000rpm. not really a problem, I just don't care for the fast idle speed. Not sure if there is a way to drop it down without burning a new chip.

target idle speed is set in the chip and can be easily changed. the IAC might not be working, or you might have some problems with vacuum leaks. with the stock cams, you should be able to idle her down just fine even with the porting.

L8apex
01-08-2005, 10:28 PM
I'll check the throttle linkage, maybe something got bent.

I asked Aaron to check all the vacuum lines while he had the plenum off and he said he did. Car seems to hold the vacuum when I just turn on the key and let the v-pump pull a vacuum.

Aaron advanced the timing a little and said to be sure to use "good" gas. There is a Sunoco around here selling 97 and 100 octane Unleaded. I'm trying to find it and start using at least 97 instead of the 93 mostly found around here.

rkreigh
01-19-2005, 06:43 PM
car should run ok on 93 octane if you don't hammer it too bad.

96 octane is probably about all the car will need.

even the high compression lpe engines run ok on pump gas so the stock CR should run fine on pump gas even with the timing adv a little bit

car usually doesn't need much more than 30 deg adv due to the
efficient combustion chamber design. the lt5 is pretty good about not detonating as long as you clear the carbon out of her every now and then.

just hammer it, that works best for me. keeps those secondaries flowing too.

L8apex
01-19-2005, 08:54 PM
I found some 100 octane unleaded at a Sunoco, putabout 1/2 tank in her for an AX a week or so ago. Ran like a champ, shame a champ was not at the wheel :lol:

Check out a vid of one of the runs click on "Tony Watson AS Corvette"

http://www.autocross.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380

Bill Lakin was driving a 93 ZR-1 and one of his runs is in there too