PDA

View Full Version : I still want to drop a LT-5 into an ’89 convertible.

Corvettes White
01-01-2005, 01:50 PM
I still want to drop a LT-5 into an ’89 convertible.

With the year closing, I want to thank several of the ZR-1 community with helping me find the parts needed for this project. Except for a few odds-and ends, the parts are in the garage. My honey-do-list is mostly complete, about two more months to go, then I can start the bodywork.

The drop in Z prices has been interesting to watch. By the time I am done, I could have bough two nice ‘90s. Nevertheless, as we all know, it is not the money-it is the motor that drives this small group of people. And for me, it is the enjoyment of building something unique.

As a reminder, if anyone has any 89 proto parts or paperwork they want to sell, please let me know. Someone out there got some ’89 ZR-1 tapes off Ebay a few months back. Earlier, Van Dorn sold off part of his collection. And a few 11” wheels have shown up. So, “the parts are out there.”

May you all have a Happy New Year.

George

rkreigh
01-02-2005, 08:56 PM
I still want to drop a LT-5 into an ’89 convertible.

With the year closing, I want to thank several of the ZR-1 community with helping me find the parts needed for this project. Except for a few odds-and ends, the parts are in the garage. My honey-do-list is mostly complete, about two more months to go, then I can start the bodywork.

The drop in Z prices has been interesting to watch. By the time I am done, I could have bough two nice ‘90s. Nevertheless, as we all know, it is not the money-it is the motor that drives this small group of people. And for me, it is the enjoyment of building something unique.

As a reminder, if anyone has any 89 proto parts or paperwork they want to sell, please let me know. Someone out there got some ’89 ZR-1 tapes off Ebay a few months back. Earlier, Van Dorn sold off part of his collection. And a few 11” wheels have shown up. So, “the parts are out there.”

May you all have a Happy New Year.

George

I would find a zr-1 and covert it. caravaggio does this with z06's and since there are plenty of conv c4s, you can find the parts. I would also recommend some serious strenthening to the frame and maybe even a roll bar. even with the top off the c4 is pretty flexy, with the big power of the LT5, that chassis is gonna wiggle a bit with the top off.

would be a very cool car. check out the DR1 prototypes GM did. they will give you some good ideas. if you buy all the parts off a c4 vert, and hack up a 90 zr1, it would be cheaper than doing the lt5 conversion to a non zr1 IMHO. interesting project.

Corvettes White
01-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Yes, I know, but chopping a Z would be too easy. Besides what would I do with the parts I have now? Been collecting them for the last two years - sending emails all over the place.

DR-1 has a replacement motor in it, ’90 or later. The motor in the garage is an ‘89 motor, (need the PVC valve for it.) Moreover, what would I do with an 8000 flat dash? Can only be put in ’89. Same as with the prototype computer with hand written specs, flat console with power key, 11” ’89 wheels, and 89 only wiring harnesses. I even found that all-important for California ’89 Z smog sticker. That will make the engine swap legal. All this stuff has been scraped together from whatever was saved by others, salvaged back when, or forgotten in GM’s warehouses 15 years ago.

And to boot, the donor convertible I found is one of the four ’89 convertibles with FX3, and one of the few with a 6-speed and manual AC, just like the DR-1. Plus the remains of a ’90 rear end are stashed at my brother’s house.

I spoke with John C. a few months ago. He was playing with the idea of making a rear surround to do just as you suggest, convert coupes to verts. But I not heard from him since.

If anyone has anything they want to let go off, please write.

Happy New Year, George

PS: good luck editing the new KOTH. Tyler T. had asked if I would be willing to help contribute. Maybe down the road, but I still have my two months of Honey-dos to do.