PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple pics of my 92

32valvZ
01-01-2008, 11:19 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/Johnny-Mo/P1150305.jpg

this was when my son was home from the USMC for thanksgiving.....we rode in the Z06 & my wife drove the ZR1
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/Johnny-Mo/2-Zs.jpg

been doing some cleaning up under the hood
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/Johnny-Mo/P1150071.jpg

ZR 601
01-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Looks good... what do you use for cleaning the engine? I'd like to get started on mine, but have read that the plenum is easy to stain.

Zr1 Destroyer
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Looks good... what do you use for cleaning the engine? I'd like to get started on mine, but have read that the plenum is easy to stain.The only way to really clean it is to remove the plenum and coil packs, starter for a complete douchebaggery!!!!!!!!!

Ry from thornton,co.........Hello:)

flyin ryan
01-01-2008, 11:39 PM
lookin' good. a couple of cool shot's:thumbsup: .

32valvZ
01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Looks good... what do you use for cleaning the engine? I'd like to get started on mine, but have read that the plenum is easy to stain.

well......someone in the past decided to try to spray paint the plenum & the cam covers while installed....so I have been un-doing that. I used mineral spirits to remove the paint & it actually worked very well for that job. Before it looked splotchy & overall like crap. Now its not as glossy, but much more uniform & cleaner looking.

The genius tried the same thing in all the wheel wells with black, so I had to use acetone to remove all that. It worked excellent & without damage to the liners.

I have read that a weak solution of Simlpe Green & water works.

32valvZ
01-02-2008, 12:00 AM
The only way to really clean it is to remove the plenum and coil packs, starter for a complete douchebaggery!!!!!!!!!

I would like to do that sometime......I am chasing that off-idle miss at 900-1000 rpm right now & thats the focal point for me. Dave Howles is putting together a package for me with the Tech 1 scanner and all the cartridges I need for the ZR1. Once I get that from him, I will know more hopefully.

I have already checked the injectors and all the obvious things w/o luck so far. I'm not sure if its fuel or ignition related just yet. The car runs excellent otherwise....so I just dont know yet. If I have to pull the plenum, believe me, I will give it a thorough cleaning.

A few guys have given me some good pointers and advice so far...but the T1 seems like a must have, so I'm waiting for that.

I hope to see you sometime at a show,cruise or event or something.

Z Factor
01-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Looking good :thumbsup:

GOLDCYLON
01-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Nice 92! Glad to hear you spent some time with your son over Thanksgiving. I appreciated this years Thanksgiving a lot more as last year I was in AL-Qayarrah Iraq on a 14 month tour.

Cleaning the ZR-1 is a bear and staining is a problem. If you do decide to pull the plenum and clean out the galley and service the coil packs and such you might consider having Jeffvette Powdercoat the entire top end like I did. Clean up is a breeze. Results well judge for yourself. GC!

http://home.earthlink.net/~goldcylon/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newmotor.jpg

We Gone
01-02-2008, 07:56 AM
lookin Good

32valvZ
01-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Nice 92! Glad to hear you spent some time with your son over Thanksgiving. I appreciated this years Thanksgiving a lot more as last year I was in AL-Qayarrah Iraq on a 14 month tour.

Cleaning the ZR-1 is a bear and staining is a problem. If you do decide to pull the plenum and clean out the galley and service the coil packs and such you might consider having Jeffvette Powdercoat the entire top end like I did. Clean up is a breeze. Results well judge for yourself. GC!

http://home.earthlink.net/~goldcylon/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newmotor.jpg

Thats what I want my engine to look like!! As soon as I sort out my little problem (mentioned above) I will move on to some frivoulous spending operations :mrgreen: such as cosmetics. I will say this, pulling the cam covers scares me a wee bit....I know I can get them off, just want to be sure the re-install goes well.

On a side note, I have noticed an assortment of different color tones on these engines. Some are a darker grey like mine, & some much lighter like yours and a few are in between the two.....should they all be the color you have?

32valvZ
01-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Everyone else, thanks for the nice comments..:o

GOLDCYLON
01-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Thats what I want my engine to look like!! As soon as I sort out my little problem (mentioned above) I will move on to some frivoulous spending operations :mrgreen: such as cosmetics. I will say this, pulling the cam covers scares me a wee bit....I know I can get them off, just want to be sure the re-install goes well.

On a side note, I have noticed an assortment of different color tones on these engines. Some are a darker grey like mine, & some much lighter like yours and a few are in between the two.....should they all be the color you have?

Your color is correct. Dont forget a lot of previous owners have been cleaning these engines for a while and the end result is multiple tones, colors and staining (Yikes!) Mine is a sliver metallic flake that was Powder Coated by JeffVette a member of this forum. He also does a lot of speciality colors like red, black and an atomic green that will make you want to get pair of sunglasses. I also had the Air horn, Injector housings and the Plenum ported and polished to increase air flow. Might as well while you are there ;) The LT-5 engraving on the TPI cover and the Coolant pipes were done by Carter200 also a member of this forum. When your ready those folks can hook you up. If you need all the down and dirty details just PM me. GC !

djpatrick35
01-02-2008, 03:35 PM
My plenum cover is splotchy as hell, but as the other guy said, it scares the s**t out of me to pull it for a powder coat. I already tried using a weak dish soap solution that I read about, but it didn't do a damn thing...

SO... How much does it cost for a powder coat job? Oh, and does anyone know where you can find the emblems on the side of the motor? The original one looks like absolute s**t right now.

ZR 601
01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
The only way to really clean it is to remove the plenum and coil packs, starter for a complete douchebaggery!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I'm gonna have to work up to that. On the bright side, I can open the hood all by myself now.

Doug from Colorado Springs

ZR 601
01-02-2008, 04:25 PM
well......someone in the past decided to try to spray paint the plenum & the cam covers while installed....so I have been un-doing that. I used mineral spirits to remove the paint & it actually worked very well for that job. Before it looked splotchy & overall like crap. Now its not as glossy, but much more uniform & cleaner looking.

The genius tried the same thing in all the wheel wells with black, so I had to use acetone to remove all that. It worked excellent & without damage to the liners.

I have read that a weak solution of Simlpe Green & water works.

Good to know, I'll give that a try.

BTW, give your son an "oorah" for me (Desert Storm vet). :cheers:

Aurora40
01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Great looking car! One thing I wondered, do the 1992's have the double square exhaust tips, or the LT1 rectangular tips?

32valvZ
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Great looking car! One thing I wondered, do the 1992's have the double square exhaust tips, or the LT1 rectangular tips?

As far as I know, the LT1 tips are standard.

Hammer
01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
My plenum cover is splotchy as hell, but as the other guy said, it scares the s**t out of me to pull it for a powder coat. I already tried using a weak dish soap solution that I read about, but it didn't do a damn thing...

SO... How much does it cost for a powder coat job? Oh, and does anyone know where you can find the emblems on the side of the motor? The original one looks like absolute s**t right now.

Check out this link to one of the other sections in this forum. Jeffvette is doing a special until 2/29.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4295

GOLDCYLON
01-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Check out this link to one of the other sections in this forum. Jeffvette is doing a special until 2/29.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t =4295 (http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4295)

:iamwithst John you beat me to it!!

GOLDCYLON
01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh, and does anyone know where you can find the emblems on the side of the motor? The original one looks like absolute s**t right now.

Jeffvette also does the Cam Cover emblems. He refinshes them and powdercoats them. GC

Hammer
01-02-2008, 09:35 PM
:iamwithst John you beat me to it!!

Hey I'm not stupid...I beat you didn't I? :mrgreen:

GOLDCYLON
01-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey I'm not stupid...I beat you didn't I? :mrgreen:

True enough. John I never can find the I Agree smily icon, its not located in the more section. There are two I am with stupids however!!!

Hammer
01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
True enough. John I never can find the I Agree smily icon, its not located in the more section. There are two I am with stupids however!!!

I see what you mean. they are identical too. Oh well. :cheers:

Hammer
01-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey 32valvZ, really nice car.

GOLDCYLON
01-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I see what you mean. they are identical too. Oh well. :cheers:

See the top post I asked for more smileys!!! I want one with a flamethrower lol!!!

Jeffvette
01-02-2008, 11:08 PM

The original finish can be a myriad of colors. From a nice shiney silver to a medium grey and then a navy green color. It depends on a lot of things, and care is one of them.

Pulling the parts off is not that difficult if you have patience and can follow instructions. I have done a couple of write ups on tearing the motor down and I have walked several people through it with phone support as well.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and be sure to take advantage of my special.

Zr1 Destroyer
01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
I would like to do that sometime......I am chasing that off-idle miss at 900-1000 rpm right now & thats the focal point for me. Dave Howles is putting together a package for me with the Tech 1 scanner and all the cartridges I need for the ZR1. Once I get that from him, I will know more hopefully.

I have already checked the injectors and all the obvious things w/o luck so far. I'm not sure if its fuel or ignition related just yet. The car runs excellent otherwise....so I just dont know yet. If I have to pull the plenum, believe me, I will give it a thorough cleaning.

A few guys have given me some good pointers and advice so far...but the T1 seems like a must have, so I'm waiting for that.

I hope to see you sometime at a show,cruise or event or something.Sounds like a bad plg wire or coil pack maybe.....how do your plugs look?