PDA

View Full Version : Want to purchase a ZR-1

CigarCity
11-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Hello folks.
Would greatly appreciate the opinions of enthusiasts like yourself.
I currently have 2 cars,including a 1996 stock C-4.
I really really really want to buy a ZR-1.I have about $25-30,000 to play with.I wanted a hyper clean,documented,all original stock ZR-1 with low miles.
This car will be retired from any difficulty in a climate controlled garage.I just want to sock it away and use it only to keep the car alive.
What year model would be most desirable from a historical perspective?Will one year end up more valuable than another zr-1 model year?How many miles should i expect to find?Where do i find one?Does anybody know of a good Corvette mechanic in the Tampa area(i really need one!)

Also,am i better off just buying a 96 Grand sport or Lt-4 Colector's Edition?

BTW,should i trust my newly purchased 96(23,070 miles) vette to a local GM dealership?

I will own a ZR-1.All of your opinions,if any,would be extremely helpful.
Regards,
Motch

HAWAIIZR-1
11-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Cigar City/Motch,

I think you can find a really nice one for the price range you are looking right now. You might have more luck running this question on the CorvetteForum, ZR-1 area since there is alot of activity there. I always feel like the first and last are the best years to go for but in the case of the ZR-1, the first year has the highest production #. There are many pros and cons to the various years and it will have to come down to taste and condition. There are many unique things to look for when buying a ZR-1 and I this site will give you most of your answers. I would be cautious about Ebay unless you can get another ZR-1 owner in the area to check it out or near enough for you to see. Many of the low mileage cars will require some maintenance also and sometimes more issues since not ran enough. I would caution you from getting the ones that are from auctions and not from actual enthusiast owners. Some good ones are advertised by members on this site.

I would love to own a Grand Sport and that would be an awesome choice if you can find one. To be perfectly honest with you, if you don't do alot of work yourself with all the tool, etc. I would not recommend the ZR-1 and think the Grand Sport will be the better option. ZR-1 Technicians are hard to find (zero in Hawaii I think; I'm on my own).

As for the 96, I would meet with the local Service Manager and see who is their Corvette technician and get to meet them. The two dealerships I went to here had factory trained technicians for the Corvette specifically.

Take care and best of luck in your quest.

Craig

CigarCity
11-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Graig,
Thanks for your input.
There are several GM dealeships in Tampa so it's a matter of doing my research.I guess the fact that I have not resolved the issue of where to service my recently purchased 96 should tell you that maintenance is not my thing.I'd prefer to find a sound,experienced mechanic to massage the beast from time to time when necessary.

I think either a sub 15,000 mile Grand Sport Z-51 or a sub 15,000 mile Collectors Edition LT-4 Z-51 would be the wisest choice.Whichever I choose,I will have the car professionally inspected.

Peace
Aloha
Motch

WB9MCW
12-02-2004, 07:52 PM
if u want the fastest and a rare one as well go zr-1! gs are rare too...not so much for lt-4...but when it comes to the engine there is nothing like the lt-5...all alum..dohc...hemi..ect....this is what made the koth a legacy and will eventually make it ultra rare like the 63 split window coup or the 67 fuelies!!! with less than 7k made and a lot crashed or blown up by stupidos they are becoming rarer by the day...they prob. are at the bottom now so it is the time to buy....but only do it if u luv the lt5 and really want the orig. king of the hill!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

We Gone
12-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Good luck in your hunt...As far as service here is one not to far from Tampa

http://www.sgvette.com/

Steve

Z Factor
12-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Also,am i better off just buying a 96 Grand sport or Lt-4 Colector's Edition?

BTW,should i trust my newly purchased 96(23,070 miles) vette to a local GM dealership?

Motch

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

As others have mentioned, get a ZR-1. As to your GM dealership question, it really depends on who their mechanics are. Some have top notch Vette guys, and others do not. Once you find a good mechanic, tell your service writer that only he can touch your car. It might make the wait longer, but it will give you piece of mind. I am lucky in that there are two ZR-1 mechanics in my area, and one actually works at a dealership, so it just goes to show that not all dealerships are hell holes.

Good luck in your search for a King Of The Hill (KOTH).

rkreigh
12-21-2004, 06:38 AM
you can find some really nice cars in that price range.

too bad you don't want a nice

93 LPE 475 car. 32k miles, 30k price.

very rare and exclusive ZR-1

I would suggest trying to get a nice low mile 93-95. they are dipping into that price range pretty soon. I've seen some great deals on 95 cars that really surprised me!! good luck on your purchase and check the for sale forum here. lots of great cars owned by ZR-1 enthusiasts.