PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Bucknum Joins Miracle Motorsports

gaijin
11-26-2004, 07:59 AM
JEFF BUCKNUM SETTING PERSONAL CHALLENGES FOR 2005

Jeff Bucknum
by Doug Kelly - Jeff Bucknum approaches the 2005 American Le Mans Series season from a number of perspectives, several far removed from his past experiences with Team Bucknum Racing in the sports car series. TBR had its share of disappointments in 2004, frustrating, Bucknum says, everyone involved with the team. Maintaining his racing interests out of Lake Havasu, AZ, Bucknum talked of his hopes and expecations for the new season with ALMS.com.

DK - So why did '04 become so difficult for you and the team?

JB - "I don't know, but it's something I'd rather not experience again. We just could not maintain anything in terms of keeping our car on track."

DK - What will be different come the opening of the ALMS season in March at Sebring?

JB - "Well, I will still have Team Bucknum Racing, but it will be a solo effort in the Formula Mazda Pro Series. I've been involved with the Star Mazda Series, which runs in conjunction with the ALMS, since 2000, which I don't think many people know. We have a very talented young driver, Scott Jenkins, who was third in the points race last season.

"In terms of running in ALMS, my intentions have not changed. I plan to continue in the LMP2 class, only this time I am going to be aligned with John Macaluso and the Miracle Motorsports team."

DK - How come?

JB - "A number of factors entered into what became a collective decision. John and I had been talking before he bought the Courage car. We could have continued with Team Bucknum Racing in the ALMS and struggled with the budget, as we always have. Bryan Willman and Chris McMurry have been my co-drivers, and Bryan indicated he wasn't going to race fulltime anymore. . .the long races at best were going to be it for him. Chris and I figured that two budgets would be better than one, and John agreed with that philosophy. That's how we became a team."

DK - That, and you've now got a boss instead of being the boss yourself.

JB - "That's true. Chris and I will be driving for John. That's cool. John would like to run two cars this season, and then plug himself in as he sees fit. He's also deciding what to do about a third driver for Sebring, and it might be John himself. But Chris and I are signed to drive the Courage fulltime."

DK - How do you think the Courage will fare in terms of the other prototypes in ALMS?

JB - "I think we will surprise a lot of people. With the development of the car, and the updates that are ongoing, you're going to see this car on a par with the LMP1 cars next year, especially in the three-hour races."

DK - How did you and John Macaluso come to be partners?

JB - "My motivation is to let John know that I am eager to assist in his operation, let him know that I have been down this road before. John's excited to have someone he can lean on and bounce things off. He's smart enough to know that to get input is a good thing.

DK - What was your reaction when Bryan Willman said he wanted to reduce his schedule?

JB - "Bryan is my partner in TBR and I fully respect his decision. We have not ruled him out as a third guy in a car if John has that many seats available. I think you can count on Bryan at Sebring and Petit. His main motivation is to be part of the true endurance races, and not the sprints."

DK - Because we're such intrepid reporters, ALMS.com has learned that you have several goals for the coming year. Would you care to elaborate on them?

JB - "Well, since you asked, there is a list of things I'd like to get accomplished in '05. At the moment, I am trying to raise sponsorship for each of them, so if you know anyone with money, let me know."

DK - So, what's the list look like?

JB - "Number one, I am going to be running the P.F. Chang Marathon in Phoenix on January 9th. My goal is simply to finish under four hours.

"When I was a young kid, I surfed for a while on a pro tour, so sometime between January and March, I want to go surf a wave of thirty feet or more."

"My Dad ran the 24 Hours of Daytona. I want to do that this year.

"Winning the LMP2 championship in the ALMS. I believe it is doable.

"I want to race at Le Mans again. We had a wonderful experience in '03.

"Lastly, I want to run in the Indianapolis 500, and some things are in the works right now."

DK - That's an ambitious schedule.

JB - "True, but I think I can do it all. I enjoy the industry tremendously, but there is no doubt I have had a full plate every race weekend the past few years. The Formula Mazda effort, the LMP2 effort, both on the same weekend. At a minimum, I'd have four cars going each weekend, and anytime there was a big issue, I had to be there.

"I really look forward to his new opportunity with John. I am able to focus on some very important things. As far as sports car racing is concerned, I consider myself a professional driver and I hope to keep that status for many years to come."