PDA

View Full Version : ACEMCO Finishes ALMS Season on a High Note

gaijin
10-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Mowlem, ACEMCO Team Finish Sixth Overall at Laguna Seca

MONTEREY, Calif. - Johnny Mowlem capped a determined effort for the 2004 American Le Mans Series season with a third in class and a sixth-place overall finish in the Audi Sports Car Championships at Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca. It was the final race of the season for the ALMS competitors.

Mowlem, the British sports car star, co-drove the ACEMCO Motorsports Saleen S7R with Terry Borcheller all season. The pair piloted the team's efforts into victory in the competition for the IMSA Cup, the award that goes to the top privately funded GTS team among ALMS competitors. Mowlem and Borcheller finished third in the GTS drivers' standings.

"Everyone has worked hard all season long," Mowlem said. "This week's race showed the versatility of the ACEMCO team. We started under sunny, dry conditions and finished with rainy conditions at night. And we got a strong result, taking our seventh podium from nine races, and a top-six overall finish as well. That shows how well the team bounced back after the disappointment of the last race at Road Atlanta."

The ACEMCO car was a serious challenger for much of the race. Going into the second hour of the race, Mowlem was still only 20 seconds behind the eventual class-winning Corvette driven by Ron Fellows.

Mowlem said the twisty, 2.238-mile road course presented a tremendous challenge for the ALMS drivers and mechanics.

"Chassis set-up was at a premium," Mowlem said. "Our boys gave Terry and I a car we could drive consistently quickly. I'm very pleased we could deliver a great result for our team owner Jeff Giangrande and the whole team, and it was nice to finish the year on a high. I've really enjoyed this season and I can't wait to go back and give the Corvettes an even harder time next year!"

One of Britain's most successful and personable sports car drivers, Mowlem started his career behind the wheel at age 19. In 2003, he finished fourth in the British Racing Drivers Club Gold Star Award, a ranking of all British racers competing in international series, including Formula One. A married father of two, Mowlem was raised in Majorca, Spain. He has earned university degrees in economics and Spanish.