PDA

View Full Version : What is your Corvette story? Why do you like them?

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Sorry if this is considered "off-topic", but this seems to be the only section of this board people much spend time in. I would enjoy hearing everyone's story.For me, it started in 1987. I was six years old, and my dad bought a brand new '87 maroon red hardtop. He had owned a 1970 green 454 'vette (390 horse!) back in the day, but had to sell it (doesn't that always seem to happen?!) and he had wanted another one ever since. In '87 they were finally coming out of the dismal 70's and early 80's years of low horsepower, and '87 was one of the first years where they finally started to increase the compression ratios (9.5:1 I believe, 240 horse), so he decided it was time. At the impressionable tender age of six, I was in love with it. We lived sort of on the outside of town, with lots of clear backroads, and there was nothing I loved more than when we were cruising together and he would gun it.A couple years later, we went on a trip through the midwest (we live in Michigan), and one of the stops my dad wanted to make was the Corvette factory in Bowling Green. This was when the ZR-1 just coming out, and GM was really pushing it in the advertising. During the tour of the plant, I got selected to install a wheel on a ZR-1, still in the factory racks. I was, of course, ecstatic. I remember walking out that day with a shirt that had a ZR-1 on it, and underneath it said "Life begins.......at 180 mph." Not sure whatever happened to that shirt, but I wish I still had it today.A couple years after that, my dad had to sell his '87 'vette, and it was definitely a sad day. And after that, I kind of moved on to other things.Once I got older I started to get into cars again on my own, and I just recently rediscovered the ZR-1. I didn't really think much about it, because I naturally figured a car ten years old wouldn't be anything special anymore. But as I have researched it and read about it, the ZR-1 truly seems to be one of a kind, and still "the king of the hill" to this day. I am always being impressed by it.Thus, Corvettes are very special to me. To me, the only kind of sports car is a rear-wheel drive, naturally aspirated V8. Once I am out of college, I hope someday I am lucky enough to have one.Brett

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 11:52 AM
Bret:Nice post
mblum|What is your Corvette story? Why do you like them?|66.237.10.41|yes|yes|1038963293|I was sitting at my desk contemplating the lint in my navel, pondering the effects of turning 40. I wanted to build a kit car, something like the Cobra, actually a 1967 Ferrari 330 P4 with a LS1 in it. I’m good with my hands and money but my wife looked at my budget of 50K she said I could buy a new vette for that kind of bucks. A vette, Corvette, the cars I’ve been drooling over since I was able to speak. So I bantered back “So if you don’t want to let me build one but you’d let me buy one, right?” Her answer floored me, with an affirmative and lets go buy one. I said, “Fine, I’ll grab my coat and will go buy a vette.” So off we go to the local shop. Then the sticker shock hit her right between the eyes. The next day, I thought I had it in the bag. The kit car was right there just waiting for me to do the wire transfer, when she brings up the local used car trader. “See, right there Corvette 25K. Get that one.” So she hands me the rag, and I look at this vette, like every other C5 out there, big deal! But on the opposite page there was an ad for a ZR-1. King of the Hill, Ferrari Eater, 400HP, Big Kahuna (okay the last part wasn’t there). She must of saw the sparkle in my eye, because I had to see this car. Next thing you know, I’m doing research on the ZR-1, and the blood is starting to move. Not only is this car the Schnizz, but it has some long term value (that fixed the cheapskate part of me real good). I walk into XYZ Broker to see the car, and sales rep thinks he’s got a sucker class 1a. The car was nice, had a bunch of options added and all. But the car did not seem right. I was not so sure about this now. I talk to the sales kid some more and he spews more bull than the last presidential election. Then to top it off lays the price on me at 3K more than the ad shown. When I pointed that out, he quickly retorted with the excuse of a typo. I’m not getting any happier here, so we talk some more about the car and bail. Week later I sat down with my wife and we look over some other options, but she likes that I can see the car. So back over to XYZ we go. Fight with the moron down to close to were we would go and close. But they wouldn’t put it on my credit card (Yes it will fit!). guy freaks out and doesn’t know what to do. Since it was time to go I decided that he can figure out how to handle the transaction and call me in the morning. I get a call from him he won’t do the deal because of the interest they have to pay on the card purchases, and I let him know I won’t buy because the new add came out and the price was not fixed as promised threating “bait and switch tactics”. Pissed me off royally. I go to my wife and say f this car I’m getting the kit! And she proceeds to go online and buy me the car via the internet, via ebay, sight unseen, with a credit card for less than the dealer, and a quarter of the mileage, and to top it off, confirm the flight for me to go pick it up. Now each time I get in the car, I smile; my wife loves me.

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 11:52 AM
Z Factor

Mblum,That's a good story. Does your wife have a younger sister? :) Jaws,I agree with Joseph, great post.For me it all started with a 67 Conv Vette that a neighbor had. Yes, it was a 427/435 with the six pack. What an awesome machine. When the new body style came out, I loved them as well. Over the years, I've drooled over many a vette in the showroom, but never could see myself buying one because of their limited use (all be it great for cruising). I've had trucks, sport and luxury cars, motorcycles, but never a vette. When I first saw a ZR1 I wasn't impressed, because it looked like every other C4, except for the rear logo. I knew they were faster, but that was it. Then one day, I saw the motor, and was hooked. I remember the test drive, and turning the power key like it was yesterday. However, I knew before the test drive that I could not afford the ZR1 package at almost the same price as the car.Now I own a C4 vert, and am happy to have both my first convertible, and vette. Since ZR1 prices are much more reasonable (actually they are a bargain now), I'm seriously looking for one.It's funny how a simple influence from our past can have such a lasting effect on our future lives.THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES :)