PDA

View Full Version : Wiring in manual fan switch-Splice into which wires?

cuisinartvette
08-11-2007, 12:35 AM
On a 90.....

I bought the switch from Mid America, of course I lost the directions. Everything is done and the wiring is run up to the relays. Which wires am I soddering into to ground the switch to kick each fan on?
Im inclined to believe the blue/black and the blue/white, but I want to make real sure.

cuisinartvette
08-11-2007, 03:43 AM
...Im guessing we are short staffed tonight? Somebody hum me a tune at least. Dirt clod fight, poke in the eye? Anything.

...TTT.....Oh wait I already am.

Ok, I give. :pray

Pete
08-11-2007, 04:14 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the blue wires on the relays.
It's been a while i will have to look tomorrow and tell excactly which one to ground or run to a switch with a ground.

Pete

lbszr
08-11-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the blue wires on the relays.
It's been a while i will have to look tomorrow and tell excactly which one to ground or run to a switch with a ground.

Pete

Good memory! Had to look at book for me. It shows BLU/BLK on both and terminal F on the relay.

My first first switch from MID lasted a while and one of the contacts failed so only one fan ran, they sent me another with no problem, good service. Only the second switch was wired so both wires were on in both positions. So I just jumpered the wires together at switch on the old one so both fans run when turned on without the one fan option. Instead of installing the new one just to be done with it. Just thought I'd let you know in case both your fans run in both switch postions. In case the switches are still wired that way. Hope my rambling makes sense:blahblah:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/myphotos123456/File0232.jpg

lbszr
08-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Also the link of the WDM

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/myphotos123456/File0232.jpg

cuisinartvette
08-11-2007, 09:35 AM
So I should run both wires to the one relay with the blue/black or just one to the blue/black and one to the blue white so I can choose between fans?

In normal op both fans come on at the same time .Dont know if they are all like this or if Haibeck programmed it to run like this?
Im only going to use it for cool down between runs at the track.

lbszr
08-11-2007, 09:56 AM
So I should run both wires to the one relay with the blue/black or just one to the blue/black and one to the blue white so I can choose between fans?

In normal op both fans come on at the same time .Dont know if they are all like this or if Haibeck programmed it to run like this?
Im only going to use it for cool down between runs at the track.

One wire needs to go to primary relay and one wire to secondary relay on the BLU/BLK if the colors are right on the print, it's the gm print so it should be right. Should be a terminal F at the relay if you unplug them to verify right wire.

It will only run fans with ignition switch on, unless you do your own custom wire job, this is the way MID"s directions are. Both relays need grounded to run both fans. Hope this helps.

lbszr
08-11-2007, 10:01 AM
If the switch is correct from MID it will run one fan or both depending on switch position. If it's like the new replacement I got it will run both in either position, just thought I'd let you know in case you couldn't select just one fan it's probably the switches fault.

cuisinartvette
08-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Let ya know how it turns out....Cant see myself using it much, but it is nice to have .

lbszr
08-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Let ya know how it turns out....Cant see myself using it much, but it is nice to have .

In the 95 degree weather I leave it on when in slow traffic or stop and go and it stays a constant 170 to 180:thumbsup:

cuisinartvette
08-11-2007, 09:16 PM
You were absolutely right, it was te blue wires, works like a charm. THanks!

Oh, and when I unfolded my car cover to put the Z away I found the directions wadded up inside :mrgreen: .

tomtom72
08-12-2007, 06:19 AM
You were absolutely right, it was te blue wires, works like a charm. THanks!

Oh, and when I unfolded my car cover to put the Z away I found the directions wadded up inside :mrgreen: .

A man after my own heart!:mrgreen: