PDA

View Full Version : 1 of 1 ZR1 / LT5 "model"engine made by Lotus in early 1987

bob@tradeshowconsulting.c
02-05-2023, 05:25 PM
Here is a 1 of 1 ZR1 / LT5 "model" engine made by Lotus in early 1987 . Made by Lotus's Program Manager of the LT5 project A. Manias and given to a GM (CPC ) executive as a thank you for working with Lotus for the LT5 development project.

Its actually the first incarnation of the LT5 motor ( in model form) before any prototype engines/cars were built. The model LT5 engine was hand crafted by J. Elford and the corvette body was a 1/8 scale model kit from Monogram that was built with great detail by A. Manias ..Lotus's Project Manager for the LT5 project.

I have recently contacted Anthony Manias in the UK to confirm the models heritage, legacy and authenticity. He was " Blown Away" ( his words) when I found him and emailed him pictures of the model that he and his friend J. Elford made in early 1987.

This one full car model ZR1 / LT5 prototype and only 3 LT5 model engines were given to GM Executives/management team that were spearheading the LT5 project and worked with Lotus for design/Engineering of the LT5

Anthony Manias confirmed there was only one full complete 1/8 scale corvette car with the prototype 1/8 scale LT5 engine squeezed in .
( and now I own it ) . Its quite large and very impressive in real life.

Pictures don't do it justice. Its 1/8 scale ..about 22" long , 9.5" wide and 5" tall

This one and only prototype LT5 /ZR1 model was then given to Bud Agner Plant Manager of Mercury Marine at the time they were selected to produce the LT5. Given to him by a GM Exec who received it from Lotus.

I was able to acquire this very unique and rare piece of LT5/ZR1 history from the Family of Bud Anger. and so I am sharing this story with you all.

Anthony Manias of Lotus told me that this LT5 engine model was made from using the first blueprints of the of the LT5 before any prototype real engines were made.

So in actuality this is the first incarnation of the ZR1 / LT5 prototype

perhaps the holy grail ? in model form of course ..no offense to actual real prototype ZR1 owners.

Of course since there was no ZR1 Corvette body at the time in model form . But just like the eventual actual prototype cars built on 1986 and later cars . This model was built from a 1985 Monogram Kit. However, the LT5 engine was hand crafted in the UK based on the blue prints of the actual engine at the time that did not exist in real life form yet.

Its a very rare model and unless you worked with Bud Agner in Stillwater Oklahoma at Mercury Marine or knew one of the GM execs at the time ..most people never knew this model existed.

I wanted to share this Legacy item and pictures with this group here as it pertains to the actual prototype real cars which I think are so very ,very cool. I hope you all don't mind as its not a real car obviously, but was hoping this story and pictures would interest you all in this prototype section .

Bob V
40th ZR1 owner

AirbusDriver
02-05-2023, 06:43 PM
That is way cool!!!
Thnx for sharing👍
Mark

phrogs
02-05-2023, 08:05 PM
I want to 3d print a LT5 in 1/8 for my big monogram model, Need a 3d scanner and scan an engine and all the ZR-1 parts for the model and make it a ZR-1 instead of a 85 TPI car.

hiperf406
02-06-2023, 01:19 PM
Please let me know if you accomplish this as I would like to get a LT5 replica. Thanks

lorne #1748

conesare2seconds
02-06-2023, 09:44 PM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

HAWAIIZR-1
02-07-2023, 06:21 AM
Cool piece. I don?t know if this is the same one that was recently on EBay. It didn?t make reserve and I was offered a second chance of $600. The seller relisted and then canceled the listing. Congrats!

02-07-2023, 06:18 PM
Cool piece. I don?t know if this is the same one that was recently on EBay. It didn?t make reserve and I was offered a second chance of $600. The seller relisted and then canceled the listing. Congrats!

Hello Hawaii !

Yes its the same one because its the only one ! So honored to own it

Hoping to get it into the corvette museum at some point as it is the very
beginning of the LT5 even though its a model..

tiegsd
02-11-2023, 10:26 AM
Cool little piece of ZR-1 history you have there.

I'm amazed sometimes at the dedication of the people who worked on the project to make it a reality, that they'd bother to do something like this to help "sell" the car within GM. Or maybe they just liked scale model projects! Either way, pretty neat that's it's still around and looked after.

Appreciate the share!

HAWAIIZR-1
02-11-2023, 06:16 PM
Hello Hawaii !

Yes its the same one because its the only one ! So honored to own it

Hoping to get it into the corvette museum at some point as it is the very
beginning of the LT5 even though its a model..

Congrats! Glad to hear it?s at a good home. I was interested and reality set in that I don?t have a place to store or display it living here in Japan. Enjoy!

hiperf406
02-21-2023, 03:16 PM
I have a diecast of a ZR1,I can't remember the year it represents I believe it is a 91,which is white with grey interior, had for a long time.
It's been in my basement man cave which I don't visit very often.

lorne 1748

GOLDCYLON
02-25-2023, 04:46 PM
Missed that one I would have bought in a heartbeat. Nice find

Mikey
02-25-2023, 05:56 PM
Yeah for sure very cool. I would have displayed it next to my cutaway 1:1 cylinder head!

I do have a Testors die-cast model 1:24 scale I think it is. Red with tan interior.
And also a new in box unassembled AMT/ERTL 1:25 plastic model of 1993 ZR-1. It?s a skill level 2 to assemble with over 80 pieces so I may not be able to ever build it :-D

02-26-2023, 09:24 AM
Yeah for sure very cool. I would have displayed it next to my cutaway 1:1 cylinder head!

I do have a Testors die-cast model 1:24 scale I think it is. Red with tan interior.
And also a new in box unassembled AMT/ERTL 1:25 plastic model of 1993 ZR-1. It?s a skill level 2 to assemble with over 80 pieces so I may not be able to ever build it :-D

Thanks Mikey ... that Cylinder head is a cool collectable as well.

Yes ..this prototype ZR1 Model is very cool and very large at 1/8 scale ,, it makes my 1/18 scale 40th ZR1 look absolutely tiny.

And the fact that it was made by Lotus ( Project manager Anthony Manias ) and Given to Roy Midgley GM Chief Engineer for the ZR1 at CPC, by Ian Dobie Chief Engineering Director for Lotus.

Roy Midgley then gave it to Bud Agner, the LT5 manager at Mercury Marine .

Its just so special and very few ever knew about it or even saw it .. its kind of mind blowing when you think about its creation before any engines were made and its historical significance in the LT5 program . And it is very nicely made and detailed.

I think it is such a special piece. that I feel compelled to make its story and existence known to everyone that has a passion and understanding of the Corvette ZR1.

I would add more pictures, but I've reached my limit ..

Thanks Bob

-=Jeff=-
03-05-2023, 12:30 PM
Like Phrogs, I would love to 3D print the LT5 then get that Monogram model to stuff it in, Granted it would not have the same history but would be a fun build..

phrogs
03-15-2023, 07:16 PM
we need a friend with a 3d scanner that can be used to create the 3d print.

I see lots of 3d scanners hitting the market but I have no idea how to create these what software is needed or how to 3d print and what would be a good printer for a model as that's all I want it for nothing serious.

02-28-2024, 05:38 PM
You all are familiar with 1/18 scale models right ? Well here is a picture of a 1/18 scale 1993 40th Aniv ZR-1 .. next to the 1/8 scale LOTUS built first incarnation of the ZR-1 That was presented to GM brass in 1987. And later given to Bud Agner plant manager at Mercury Marine.

AirbusDriver
02-28-2024, 06:03 PM
Very nice looking as well as historically significant!

scorp508
02-29-2024, 09:53 AM
we need a friend with a 3d scanner that can be used to create the 3d print.

I just got one but have no idea what to do with the output yet. :)

02-29-2024, 04:47 PM
Thanks Mark,

At least you appreciate and understand the significance of it

silver86
03-06-2024, 03:59 PM
That's very cool, Bob! Would love to check that out...

03-06-2024, 05:19 PM
come on over any time.. I have other goodies as well