PDA

View Full Version : question on shining the hoses

ZZZZZR1
05-27-2007, 02:23 PM
hey Dale,

My motor is clean, but the hoses and black plastic around the motor are not as clean. The LT5 motor should not be hosed off with water (too dangerous).... Is there a product you have that can clean and shine (one step)?

I've used the VRT and In / Out Spray, but what would be best for around the motor (hoses / etc).

Aurora40
05-27-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm always a bit hesitant about putting vinyl/rubber products on engine hoses. They tend to soften rubber up to keep it flexible. This is good for weatherstripping and stuff. But it's probably not good for hoses that are under pressure or vacuum.

If you prefer the show though, most rubber products clean and shine in one step, though your applicator will get disgusting, so use something you don't care about keeping.

If you really want hoses that bling though, and especially if yours are original, you may consider getting Samco hoses.

Otherwise I'd suggest just using an old towel (I actually keep old socks for such disposable purposes) and some mild/diluted all-purpose cleaner and wipe them down. They'll be clean though they won't be bright black.

Dale@Adams
05-27-2007, 09:39 PM
hey Dale,

My motor is clean, but the hoses and black plastic around the motor are not as clean. The LT5 motor should not be hosed off with water (too dangerous).... Is there a product you have that can clean and shine (one step)?

I've used the VRT and In / Out Spray, but what would be best for around the motor (hoses / etc).

thanks!

David
Hey David,

What parts of the engine will you be cleaning? You may want to give our Detail Spray a try. Or take Aurora40's advice and use some dilluted All-Purpose Cleaner on an old microfiber towel or rag.

Once the engine is clean, simply follow with the VRT and In & Out Spray. Use the VRT on the larger plastic, vinyl, or rubber pieces and use the In & Out on the harder to reach areas. Both products are safe to use on the engine. Both the VRT and In & Out Spray are water-based and contain UV inhibitors such as SPF 30. As you probably already know, they are not oily or greasy and leave the trim pieces looking new again.

Thanks and let me how you make out:thumbsup:!!!

bldavis11
05-28-2007, 05:23 PM
hey Dale,

thanks!

David

David,

What you want to use is a water-based protectant like 303 (http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=428&CFID=3532353&CFTOKEN=40714527). Clean the hoses with just a damp rag and then let them dry. Apply the 303 every couple of weeks and the hoses will look brand new. You can purchase 303 at a number of online retailers, AutoGeek (http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html) I've had great luck with their service.

What you don't want to use is something like ArmorAll or a tire shine product. These contain silicone which over time (and especially the heat of an engine bay) can start to dry out the rubber hoses. With lower radiator hoses going for hundreds, you're better off stearing clear of these over the long haul.

I like two things about 303. First, it's water based and doesn't stain anything. Second, it contains compounds that provide UVB protection. I apply 303 to my dash and weatherstripping and everything looks brand new.

You can apply 303 to just about anything, but there are better products out there for specific applications. When I worked at the local airport in college, I used to detail airplanes on the side. My boss insisted that I use 303 to wipe down the interiors and leading edges of the flight school airplanes, and I carried this over to those that I detailed as well. Since I would clean up the flight school planes every 4 or 5 days I was amazed at how good they looked for the beating they took.

ZZZZZR1
05-28-2007, 05:26 PM
thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

bldavis11
05-28-2007, 07:58 PM
No problem. There are a good number of products out there. I've tried a good number of them and have settled into my favorites. Internet shopping makes some of the specialty products accessible to everyone, which is a definite plus.

DaveK
05-31-2007, 11:27 AM
What you want to use is a water-based protectant like 303 (http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=428&CFID=3532353&CFTOKEN=40714527). Clean the hoses with just a damp rag and then let them dry. Apply the 303 every couple of weeks and the hoses will look brand new. You can purchase 303 at a number of online retailers, AutoGeek (http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html) I've had great luck with their service.

Thanks for the tip! I already use 303 on the dash etc. never thought to use it for the hoses. :cheers:

bldavis11
06-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the tip! I already use 303 on the dash etc. never thought to use it for the hoses. :cheers:
303 holds up fairly well to the under-the-hood heat as well. I'm happy with the results. I prefer a satin finish rather than a glossy look.