PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning original wheels

Jetjock
01-14-2020, 02:33 PM
I have the original set of wheels for my 93 ZR-1. I would like to clean them but I tried high pressure wash on the inside of the wheels but met with limited success. What has everyone done to clean up their wheels?

mpiecyk
01-14-2020, 07:45 PM
Hey Roy, This recipe I'm passing on to you is for the inside of the wheel ONLY!
I use Mothers Wheel & Tire cleaner its a strong detergent that works very well, after a minute of Mothers W/T soaking I use the 3M Ultra Fine (Gray) in color scouring pad, elbow grease is required.
Do this twice a year and you will maintain that factory finish.

Jetjock
01-14-2020, 10:18 PM
Cool. Thank you. I have three sets of wheels to do so that will keep me busy.

Roy

mpiecyk
01-15-2020, 02:56 PM
Roy, Try to purchase Mothers Wheel & Tire cleaner by the gallon rather than the 28oz spray bottle that most auto supply stores have, if I remember correctly I paid $25.00 per gallon @ Carlisle (2) years ago.

Jetjock
01-15-2020, 03:56 PM
Roy, Try to purchase Mothers Wheel & Tire cleaner by the gallon rather than the 28oz spray bottle that most auto supply stores have, if I remember correctly I paid $25.00 per gallon @ Carlisle (2) years ago.

Yeah, that makes sense I will be doing three sets of ZR-1 wheels. What do you guys do for the painted surface? I have a 92 and a 93 Z’s. I believe that the 93 wheels are painted but the 92 wheels seem polished.

Roy

mpiecyk
01-15-2020, 11:06 PM
Dawn dish soap for the painted and polished wheels.

Joelbbvette
01-16-2020, 07:57 PM
Dawn dish soap for the painted and polished wheels.

Factory polished is still clear coated so treat them like painted. Dawn or Ivory dishwashing soap. I have also used Simple Green on the inside of the wheels cut with water starting at 20% S.G. and rest water. You can always increase the strength.

Joel

Mystic ZR-1
01-16-2020, 09:36 PM
Simple Green full strength! Won’t hurt anything and cleans pretty good too.
You can even soak your dentures in the stuff! (Rinse ‘em off before you slap ‘em back in your mouth though..)
Buy it by the gallon at Home Depot or Walmart. I wouldn’t use it for car wash though, removes the wax...

Z51JEFF
01-18-2020, 03:03 AM
The 92 wheel is painted and the 93 wheel is brushed with a clear coat. Once you get the wheel clean try sealing the surface with a ceramic coating,that would keep the brake dust from sticking to the surface.

Jetjock
01-18-2020, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I fo have a problem with my 92 wheels. It looks like some rust or something is under the clear coat. I was told that to fix that you would have to remove the clear coat and brush out the rust. Any ideas on that?

Roy

mpiecyk
01-18-2020, 10:23 PM
Roy, how bad is the rust? any pic to review, do all wheels have rust, or just one.

Z51JEFF
01-18-2020, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I fo have a problem with my 92 wheels. It looks like some rust or something is under the clear coat. I was told that to fix that you would have to remove the clear coat and brush out the rust. Any ideas on that?

Roy

The 91/92 wheels are powder coated, no way to remove clear without refinishing the wheel.