PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitted HUD

Enthusiast
04-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys have retroffited a Heads Up Display into the C4 dash. Maybe from a late model Vette or Pontiac, even an aftermarket one. Ive seen a bunch of scion owners, and F-body guys doing it.

I dont figure you guys are very hip on cuttin up your dashes I was just wonderin

Bell Curve
04-09-2007, 12:12 PM
I wouldnt do it[-X

tccrab
04-09-2007, 01:23 PM
I can't say I've ever seen or heard of a ZR1 with a HUD.
Radar detectors, shift lights, aftermarket shifters, stereos and alarms, but a HUD, never.

I guess we don't need no steenkin HUD.

A1990
04-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I think DDSLT5 has one installed on his. From Lingenfelter maybe???

A26B
04-21-2007, 11:57 AM

I have the same recollection.....

GOLDCYLON
06-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Did Dwight ever check in on this? :icon_scra

djpatrick35
06-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Isn't there some crazy reflective laminate or something you need on the windshield?!

If not, that might be a nice mod for my *next* ZR-1... I'm so used to driving the C6 these days that I don't know how to live w/o it.

GOLDCYLON
06-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Isn't there some crazy reflective laminate or something you need on the windshield?!

If not, that might be a nice mod for my *next* ZR-1... I'm so used to driving the C6 these days that I don't know how to live w/o it.

That my understanding.... Usually a tinted film strip in the viewing area is needed.

Trizney
06-10-2008, 12:16 AM

It's not needed, but highly recommended to get the best clarity/brightness out of the image.

Similar to using a DLP screen with a DLP projector. You don't need the DLP screen, but it looks some much better with it.

GOLDCYLON
06-10-2008, 01:32 PM
It's not needed, but highly recommended to get the best clarity/brightness out of the image.

Similar to using a DLP screen with a DLP projector. You don't need the DLP screen, but it looks some much better with it.

:sign10: Using that dynamic example each wheel is "recommended" to have lug nuts in order to keep the wheel mated to the wheel hub... but they are not needed...

Sounds like to me that in order to achieve acceptable viewing all the time the strip is required. Yes?? :rolleyes:

Trizney
06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Sounds like to me that in order to achieve acceptable viewing all the time the strip is required. Yes?? :rolleyes:

I can only speak from BMW experience, but to answer your question, no.

I have seen HUD on E60 5 series without the special windshield, and it was just a tad darker. The wrong windshield was put in, and that is how I was able to see the before and after. BMW uses a film in the entire windshield even though just a section is used for the HUD.

So, take that for what you will. :rolleyes:

GOLDCYLON
06-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I can only speak from BMW experience, but to answer your question, no.

I have seen HUD on E60 5 series without the special windshield, and it was just a tad darker. The wrong windshield was put in, and that is how I was able to see the before and after. BMW uses a film in the entire windshield even though just a section is used for the HUD.

So, take that for what you will. :rolleyes:

The point is acceptable viewing ALL the time......... If your happy with a non factory installed aftermarket windshield on a BMW because you can still see the image its probably not going to be the same clarity as the engineers intended yes? You state the image was not as bright which ='s degraded. Especialy in Arizona in direct sun. Speaking of C5/C6 Corvettes use the blocked area within the window for this propose as well as ANY aftermarket kit includes the strip for the best possible viewing. SO from my view the strip is there for a purpose just like the factory window is prepared for a BMW. Nuff said

Aurora40
07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Someone on CF retrofitted a HUD to their C4... Let me see if I can find it...

95ZR1#418
05-15-2009, 01:47 AM
I wanted to install a HUD in my ZR-1. I found a dealer of which I can't remember(name brand quality) and couldn't find it in my "bookmarks". The dealer catered to ricers for most all installations. I considered buying the kit but after e-mailing a few Q & A with the service person, they couldn't answer any questions. They had no experience with the unit in a corvette C4 as I could see.

I was able to view the installation diagrams, to which they could not answer any questions. It required hard wiring into the computer systems of the car for the corresponding readouts. The diagrams were not specific to the car & would require an intense understanding of the systems within the ZR-1 to wire it. At this point, I decided there was not anyone with the experience or knowledge in the C4 installation to advise me.

I did contact Dwight in this matter, he does have a HUD in his ZR-1. At the time he deferred me because he had plans to write it up in the ZR1 Net News Letter. Unless I somehow missed it, I don't believe he ever wrote it up. Never-the-less...

You also had to mount the display screen on your windshield. Probably the biggest drawback, you have to mount a medium sized projector (sender unit) similar to a radar detector on your dash pointing to the screen for viewing. I can't see how this could be cut into your dash to be partially concealed. To just mount it to the dash, I think would be an eyesore, let alone limit visibility. Besides, I already have my V1 utilizing the cutout, too much junk on the dash (viewing area) if actually feasable.

I doubt anyone would cut into their dash to try and partially embed the sending unit. Most likely, you couldn't get the room you want for the destruction caused. You could probably live with it if you didn't run a detector in the cutout, but I have to have my V1 in combination with my Blinder Laserjammer.

I sure would like a HUD in my ZR-1 though, if only the sending unit was much smaller and barely noticed on the dash. I have not driven my car at very fast speeds very often but, maybe more than some since I do live in a remote part of MT. My big concern (besides how new/the rating/tread wear and odds of a blowout on good tires) was watching my speed and gauges. I'm not at ease at speed to look down at the gauges, I want to keep my eyes on the road!! even if it's straight as hell. I instantly realized what a HUD was for when I pushed the ZR-1 for the first time. I wanted to know, to see the numbers, yet look through it & see the road- what a great feature.:mrgreen:

GOLDCYLON
05-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I wanted to install a HUD in my ZR-1. I found a dealer of which I can't remember(name brand quality) and couldn't find it in my "bookmarks". The dealer catered to ricers for most all installations. I considered buying the kit but after e-mailing a few Q & A with the service person, they couldn't answer any questions. They had no experience with the unit in a corvette C4 as I could see.

I was able to view the installation diagrams, to which they could not answer any questions. It required hard wiring into the computer systems of the car for the corresponding readouts. The diagrams were not specific to the car & would require an intense understanding of the systems within the ZR-1 to wire it. At this point, I decided there was not anyone with the experience or knowledge in the C4 installation to advise me.

I did contact Dwight in this matter, he does have a HUD in his ZR-1. At the time he deferred me because he had plans to write it up in the ZR1 Net News Letter. Unless I somehow missed it, I don't believe he ever wrote it up. Never-the-less...

You also had to mount the display screen on your windshield. Probably the biggest drawback, you have to mount a medium sized projector (sender unit) similar to a radar detector on your dash pointing to the screen for viewing. I can't see how this could be cut into your dash to be partially concealed. To just mount it to the dash, I think would be an eyesore, let alone limit visibility. Besides, I already have my V1 utilizing the cutout, too much junk on the dash (viewing area) if actually feasable.

I doubt anyone would cut into their dash to try and partially embed the sending unit. Most likely, you couldn't get the room you want for the destruction caused. You could probably live with it if you didn't run a detector in the cutout, but I have to have my V1 in combination with my Blinder Laserjammer.

I sure would like a HUD in my ZR-1 though, if only the sending unit was much smaller and barely noticed on the dash. I have not driven my car at very fast speeds very often but, maybe more than some since I do live in a remote part of MT. My big concern (besides how new/the rating/tread wear and odds of a blowout on good tires) was watching my speed and gauges. I'm not at ease at speed to look down at the gauges, I want to keep my eyes on the road!! even if it's straight as hell. I instantly realized what a HUD was for when I pushed the ZR-1 for the first time. I wanted to know, to see the numbers, yet look through it & see the road- what a great feature.:mrgreen:

What no pics ? :dontknow: