PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Gathering Drag Racing Info Thread

guinnessdood
04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Since we are definitely having the Drag Racing on May 2nd, Wednesday afternoon at Beech Bend I though it would be helpful to start this thread....

Here is a great link to what can be expected at the drag races. I kow this is specific to LVMS (Las Vegas) but the basics are all the same...this is excellent reading especially if you have never drag raced before...
http://www.vegasvettes.com/RacersEdge/Drags.html

If you have additional drag racing information be it general to drag racing or specific to Beech Bend...please post in this thread. Thanks!

Uly

guinnessdood
04-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Notice to all who WANT to Drag Race on Wednesday, 2 May 2007 at Beech Bend: To date we have had $350 committed towards the event. If we fail to raise enough funds to cover at least 50% of the track rental ($2000 for 1/2 day) so $1000....we will be forced to scrap the Drag Racing. If you plan on Drag Racing you can sign up ahead of time for the drag racing here...http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1registrystore/ (The ZR-1 Net Registry Member Store)...the cost is $50 per driver.

Aurora40
04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
To date we have had $350 committed towards the event.
Geez, that's only 7 people!

Not to be a jerk, but can we have some kind of drop dead date for you all to reach the 50% point? I just want to have enough time to change my plans and hotel reservation and such. I don't want to get there on Tuesday if nothing is happening until Thursday or Friday.

Hopefully though we'll get a lot more people, as the drag racing sounds like the most fun part of the event.

Jeffvette
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Pitiful people.

I'll sign up and drive Dwights car or Kmoudys.

A1990
04-04-2007, 02:44 PM
:confused: I paid for 2 and I might not even drive mine. come on folks.

guinnessdood
04-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I won't have my car either..and I signed up...c'mon fellas lets get with it!

rkreigh
04-04-2007, 08:29 PM
folks, I'm going for it. we ARE RACING, period. even if this is the most expensive race of my life we ARE DRAG RACING

the deposit is down, several have stepped up and even if we get a handful and I have to sponsor out of my pocket we are going to race.

as president I made a committment that there would be racing and that is exactly what we're going to do unless it's a rain out.

so, my plea is this, help a poor prez out, I'm not a rich man, but my word is worth more than gold, so we are going to race.

as stated, I'd like to see a full 40 folks @ $50 each.

I KNOW there are alot of folks that haven't taken the time. I am calling U out. sign up. even if you don't sign up, SHOW UP and pay the $50 at the gate.

otherwise, my mod money is going to sponsor the group.

be there!!:thumbsup:

Peaven
04-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Ok, we're $50 closer now....and even though I want to save more $$ for mods, I'll do another $50 if I have to...let's git er done.

Peaven
04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Pitiful people.

I'll sign up and drive Dwights car or Kmoudys.

Since you gotta put up with me for a while, you can beat on mine for a few passes...just don't make my timeslips look too bad.:mrgreen:

Jeffvette
04-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Since you gotta put up with me for a while, you can beat on mine for a few passes...just don't make my timeslips look too bad.:mrgreen:

Thanks Steve!!!

I'll be sure to pack a "sneaky pete" system. Anybody know a place to geta bottle filled in BG?

Jeffvette
04-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Where do you come up with this stuff?

GrayZ
04-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I used to play a little pool...billiards...in my day..a sneaky pete was
a custom cue stick designed to look like one off the rack.
and stuff just kinda pops in my noodle, I was told my mother
shook me when i was little. I was there, but i don't remember. :mrgreen:

Peaven
04-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Ok, you guys are scaring me...:eek:

Sneaky pete's and giggle juice?....I should run away while I still can.:pray :mrgreen:

yellowz
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
ok guys
for the guys that have been there from day one the emphasis was not on racing
but as doug johnson once said ITS THE PEOPLE NOT THE CAR.I cant believe you guys dont have a drag strip in your area and the most important thing is racing.
GEEZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.I go i like the races but its not life and death .Granted theres not much to do there but ,there are things to see and do if you look.IMO the event is getting stale and needs some new fire burning,most of the vendors that were there years ago havent come back WHY????? not
much $$ to be made.We are a smart bunch here and loyal to our group so if bg isnt really where the event should be due to lack of things to do???why not move it or go to fun fest event as a group there are literarly thousans of corvetts there and they get bigger every year.I enjoy going to see my extened family and long time friends over ther years but i really think you guys should not put an empasis one racing racing racing there is more to it then that.Besides most racing is sunday anyway NASCAR that is.

NOw if you all wish you may flame me but thei is my opinion and im sticking to it

Peter
zr1 founding member#55
ncm lifetime member#1609
xzr1yellow273one of 11
current harley davidson
ondeck zr1 1995??????

rkreigh
04-07-2007, 08:25 AM
we are indeed putting a "fresh coat of paint" on the old gal to get some enthusiasm in the event check out

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_gathering.htm

and scroll down a bit to see what we are doing in addition to the NCM standard fare. with the GS and Callaway guys coming I think you will find that it's a different deal this year.

I do agree that combining our events with other biggies is a great approach

how about we also do the funfest??? bloomington.

no reason to just do several, it's about maximizing the number of events, fun, and different venues so all can enjoy.

thanks for the feedback, it's sage advice indeed!:thumbsup:

Aurora40
04-10-2007, 08:58 AM
If you have additional drag racing information be it general to drag racing or specific to Beech Bend...please post in this thread.
I'd point out that usually tracks require you to have long pants on. I don't know how hot it will be in BG in early May. But usually I just bring some sweat pants or something I can pull over my shorts before I hop in the car for a pass. That way I'm not burning up the whole time.

Jeffvette
04-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Might want to correct the dates. Wednesday is not the 3rd.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_gathering.htm

rkreigh
04-13-2007, 06:40 AM
oops

yes, Wed is may 2nd thanks.

Jeffvette
04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
oops

yes, Wed is may 2nd thanks.

:thumbsup: