PDA

View Full Version : 93 Gas cap

SitkaSam
07-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Does anybody have the correct number for the gas cap for NCRS judging?
I think mine had a locking cap as the keys are here but has been replaced. Not sure if this one is correct?
Thanks so much

jrd1990zr1
07-30-2019, 02:33 PM
I believe the OEM gas caps were non-locking. They are also date coded if you are doing the NCRS process. Date code is embossed on the underside of the cap and is normally checked by the judges.

Joelbbvette
07-30-2019, 08:56 PM
Correct, mine got hit for being a replacement date for a point or two. No biggie.

TX '90 ZR1
07-31-2019, 11:41 AM
OK guys.
You have me all worried now about having the correct date on my gas cap!!
Where is the date exactly? Mine has numbers 2(space)269 on the bottom side of the threaded part. Does this tell us anything?? :confused::confused:
:cheers:

jrd1990zr1
07-31-2019, 09:10 PM
OK guys.
You have me all worried now about having the correct date on my gas cap!!
Where is the date exactly? Mine has numbers 2(space)269 on the bottom side of the threaded part. Does this tell us anything?? :confused::confused:
:cheers:

The date is in small raised numbers on the treaded side of the cap. On the end which goes in the tank first. First number is the year followed by a space then followed by the julian day of the year. So your cap if it is a "slant" cap and looks like the one in my post above, appears to be dated 1992, the 269th day of the year. The cap on my 1990 is 0 180, which is a 1990, 180th day of the calendar year which follows the build date of my car.

From a judging perspective (since yourcar is a MY 1990) the most I can see you could lose is 20% of the originality points assocated with the cap, due to the cap having the wrong date code. Condition points could also be taken if the cap is damaged or aged (discolored).

Sorry for being long winded.

TX '90 ZR1
07-31-2019, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the thorough explanation.
My cap does look exactly like the one in the pic.
Looks like I will be putting a correct date coded fuel cap on my list of things to keep an eye out for.
Thanks again, :cheers:

Joelbbvette
08-01-2019, 12:48 AM
Kenny,

Don't let the gas cap stop you as long as it looks correct, then it is a GM replacement part. Small deduct but nothing huge.

Joel

TX '90 ZR1
08-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Kenny,

Don't let the gas cap stop you as long as it looks correct, then it is a GM replacement part. Small deduct but nothing huge.

Joel

Hey Joel,
Not letting these "little things" stop anything, but it is amazing how many of the "little things" I have been able to locate just by keeping my eyes open.
Looks like you did great with your car. Congratulations!! :cheers:

jrd1990zr1
08-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Hey Joel,
Not letting these "little things" stop anything, but it is amazing how many of the "little things" I have been able to locate just by keeping my eyes open.
Looks like you did great with your car. Congratulations!! :cheers:

As mentioned above the date code alone shouldn't be more than a 1 point deduct.

SitkaSam
08-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the info...but.....
My 93ZR1 has 8,000 miles on her and the original owner was anal about his Z, keeping everything from the key punch-outs and every document that came the car. He had two gas cap keys for locking cap, the window sticker has "Delco locking ll" Am wondering of that was an option?
I would appreciate any technical information if this was an option. The NCRS Judging manual says absolutely nothing about a locking cap, only that it is peaked and "Caution Remove slowly as spray may cause injury". The locking cap has no date, red center and made in USA
Thanks....another Z mystery?

jrd1990zr1
08-14-2019, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the info...but.....
My 93ZR1 has 8,000 miles on her and the original owner was anal about his Z, keeping everything from the key punch-outs and every document that came the car. He had two gas cap keys for locking cap, the window sticker has "Delco locking ll" Am wondering of that was an option?
I would appreciate any technical information if this was an option. The NCRS Judging manual says absolutely nothing about a locking cap, only that it is peaked and "Caution Remove slowly as spray may cause injury". The locking cap has no date, red center and made in USA
Thanks....another Z mystery?

I believe the reference to Delco locking II is about the radio head assembly.

SitkaSam
08-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Thank you so much....I had no idea what that option was
Another mystery solved

SitkaSam
08-17-2019, 09:01 PM
I had NCRS judging today, took the hit on the gas cap, but the 93Z received Top Flight!!!
Thanks for the information:salute:

jrd1990zr1
08-18-2019, 02:38 PM
Congratulations! :cheers:

SitkaSam
08-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Thank you!
I am still looking for an original air filter (used is fine) for the 93Z
I took a hit on filter and gas cap. The one posted on this link is not correct per NCRS Judging book.
If you come across a filter, please let me know as I will take it!
Thanks!!

Mystic ZR-1
08-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Congrats on the Top Flight!!!!
Wonder how many that makes?
:-D

SitkaSam
08-18-2019, 09:25 PM
Thanks!!
Now I need a correct Gas Cap, Air filter and correct exhaust system

jrd1990zr1
11-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Thank you!
I am still looking for an original air filter (used is fine) for the 93Z
I took a hit on filter and gas cap. The one posted on this link is not correct per NCRS Judging book.
If you come across a filter, please let me know as I will take it!
Thanks!!

I don't understand your comment and I don't have a 93 judging manual. Are you saying the gas cap part #22525300 is not correct for MY 93 ZR1s? Or are you referring to the date code in the link?

What filter are you looking for?

Corvette95
12-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Not to hijack but what does the correct 95 gas cap look like? Does it have printing on top about tightening?

Top Toy
12-31-2019, 05:00 AM
I can probably help you with much of what you need. Will be selling a lot of take-off parts from my original owner '93 that crashed a few month's ago. I have, for example, an original very low mileage exhaust system, complete with manifolds and cats, a perfect set of polished turbo wheels and original GSC tires, and lots more (including a gas cap). PM me if interested.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90383)