PDA

View Full Version : Top end back together- silicone hoses leak

ALLTHECAMS
04-22-2019, 10:50 PM
So after having the top end ported and painting it myself it's back together with a set of Jerry's silicone hoses. Only problem is I've developed a good leak at the driver side coolant outlet pipe where the hose connects. Tommorow I'm going to disconnect both of those hoses and sand the paint off underneath. Should I use RTV? I have read this can help.9416

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Dynomite
04-23-2019, 02:05 AM
I use a bit of Perma-gasket on coolant hoses and pipes.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/400x400-1/80-sspermatex300_zpsaf26fa81_1__37573c22ba26fb97624d1 9dc0c48cc914bf0d3f7.jpg

Paul Workman
04-23-2019, 06:32 AM
I've no experience with new Silicone elbow hoses, but I do with painted pipes and RTV...and I'm just glad I was close to the house when the danged elbow hose blew off the end of the manifold pipe!

No more RTV on painted surfaces for me! Also, I recommend using those spring clamps - if nowhere else, on those manifold pipes "fer sher". Just my 2cents...

ALLTHECAMS
04-23-2019, 08:28 AM
I have a tube of permatex water pump gasket maker. Do you think that will work?

ALLTHECAMS
04-23-2019, 08:30 AM
I've no experience with new Silicone elbow hoses, but I do with painted pipes and RTV...and I'm just glad I was close to the house when the danged elbow hose blew off the end of the manifold pipe!

No more RTV on painted surfaces for me! Also, I recommend using those spring clamps - if nowhere else, on those manifold pipes "fer sher". Just my 2cents...Do you mean t-bolt clamps?

Dynomite
04-23-2019, 11:17 AM
I have a tube of permatex water pump gasket maker. Do you think that will work?

Is that stuff dark brown?.......I think that will work but do not use too much on pipe and inside hose. Sometimes old hoses get cracks inside which new coolant hose is recommended. I use screw type hose clamps from Jerry that have rounded edges that do not bite into hose.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90383)

ALLTHECAMS
04-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Is that stuff dark brown?.......I think that will work but do not use too much on pipe and inside hose. Sometimes old hoses get cracks inside which new coolant hose is recommended. I use screw type hose clamps from Jerry that have rounded edges that do not bite into hose.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90383)I think it's gray but I'm not sure. My hoses are brand new from Jerry's as are the clamps.

Mystic ZR-1
04-23-2019, 12:56 PM
I found that the clamps were too narrow.
Use two clamps or find a wider clamp.
Of course finding a wider clamp with the rounded edges
could be a problem...
Spring clamps like OEM may be better due to
the equal force applied all the way around.

Paul Workman
04-23-2019, 03:56 PM
Do you mean t-bolt clamps?

Hmmm.... I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Spring clamps are the ring shaped spring clamps with overlapping ends. Ends with tabs, tabs designed for purchase by a spring clamp. When the clamp squeezes the clamp the clamp opens to a larger than normal.circumference to allow the clamp to be positioned on the hose and the the clamp tool releases the spring.
The advantage of that type of clamp is as the hose (over time and pressure) 'squishes' and squirts from under the spring's dorce, the spring clamp continues to self adjust to maintain tension in spite of the distortion of the (rubber) hose.

ALLTHECAMS
04-23-2019, 05:13 PM
Hmmm.... I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Spring clamps are the ring shaped spring clamps with overlapping ends. Ends with tabs, tabs designed for purchase by a spring clamp. When the clamp squeezes the clamp the clamp opens to a larger than normal.circumference to allow the clamp to be positioned on the hose and the the clamp tool releases the spring.
The advantage of that type of clamp is as the hose (over time and pressure) 'squishes' and squirts from under the spring's dorce, the spring clamp continues to self adjust to maintain tension in spite of the distortion of the (rubber) hose.Ok you are referring to the stock style clamps. I got the stainless steel clamps from Jerry's.

Tony91
04-23-2019, 07:06 PM
I've used the T bolt clamps and hair spray on my past cars with silicone hoses. Let the hair spray dry and it should be leak free.

Ccmano
04-23-2019, 08:06 PM
I've used the T bolt clamps and hair spray on my past cars with silicone hoses. Let the hair spray dry and it should be leak free.

Hair spray, me too. Works like a charm And much easier to take apart if you have to.
H
:cheers:

ALLTHECAMS
04-23-2019, 10:57 PM
Got the hose leaks fixed for now, but discovered another leak. Anyone ever seen this? The water pump bolt with white coolant residue...9425