PDA

View Full Version : NCRS judging my 1990 ZR1

JMO343
01-21-2019, 08:31 PM
I am relatively new to new to judging world. I have a 1990 ZR1 with 5,500 miles and it is all original except for tires and the correct replacement ac Delco Battery. Should I get my car judged? I have few items to fix. Normal stuff from what I am told. Radio and lumber seats. I also have a lot of the console items I think. Any direction would be great on what is needed and how prepare the car. Looking to do this maybe late summer on Long Island NY.

Thanks
John #2321

DRM500RUBYZR-1
01-22-2019, 10:13 AM
I am relatively new to new to judging world. I have a 1990 ZR1 with 5,500 miles and it is all original except for tires and the correct replacement ac Delco Battery. Should I get my car judged? I have few items to fix. Normal stuff from what I am told. Radio and lumber seats. I also have a lot of the console items I think. Any direction would be great on what is needed and how prepare the car. Looking to do this maybe late summer on Long Island NY.

Thanks
John #2321

With a car as close as yours sounds to being ready, I would not sweat too much.
Certainly fix the radio, and if you want the seats as well, as each would be a 25 point deduct on the operations portion.
BUT, you likely will not have any other major deductions, so you could simply clean it and go as is, and likely earn a Top Flight.
You can lose up to 270 points and still Top Flight!
Remember to have and bring a fire extinguisher and an NCRS Decal, and you also get points for miles driven, so you can even lose a few more than 270 and still get your First Flight.
Clean, clean, clean, and scotch brite any surface rust off of major items.
Remember to drop and clean the spare tire and tub.
Find the closest chapter event to you and go for it!
You will then have a "punch list" for the next time IF you are unsatisfied with the results of the first attempt.
Once you have the 94+, that is when the real disease kicks in, and makes you want a 96,7,8, or 99.9.
Above all, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY IT!!!
Some of my fondest memories are preparing my cars with my, at the time, very young son.
We both remember it well and with enjoyment!

Good luck and ask away if you have specific questions.
Many here will be happy to help!
Marty

JMO343
01-22-2019, 11:09 AM
Hey Marty - Thanks for your information. I am sure I will be asking more. I know I need to be an NCRS member but, do I also need to be a local chapter member?

John #2331

DRM500RUBYZR-1
01-22-2019, 01:42 PM
John,
No, you needn't join the local chapter, although it is suggested, but you just have to be a member of NCRS.
Marty

JMO343
01-22-2019, 01:52 PM
10-4 Thanks. One more question. What is needed in the console and the glove box for judging?

John #2331

Mystic ZR-1
01-22-2019, 02:29 PM
Let us know what you need, if ya don't have it, some of us who've gone thru it can probably help...
OBTW: when you're done with this, DRIVE IT!

JMO343
01-22-2019, 02:37 PM
I have the following in the console:
(3) cassette tapes
(1) Tire gauge in the plastic wrapper
(1) Ratchet for top removal

Glove box:
(1) owner manual
(1) Spare power key
(2) Rear compartment keys

Am I missing anything for judging?

John #2331

JMO343
01-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Sorry. Also have green bag with the spare lug nuts and the locking lug nut socket.

John #2331

efnfast
01-22-2019, 06:53 PM
I've got the original front tires off my 1990 #1786. Not sure the value for NCRS.

JMO343
01-22-2019, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the offer. I have all the original tires also. Not sure if I am going to change them out for judging process.

John #2331

DRM500RUBYZR-1
01-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the offer. I have all the original tires also. Not sure if I am going to change them out for judging process.

John #2331

If your current tires are properly sized Good Years, I would not change as they are correct service replacement, and therefore only cause a minor deduction.

If however, they are not the correct size, or are not Good Year, the deduction would be much greater; Therefore, change them out.

Marty

JMO343
01-23-2019, 08:55 AM
I currently have the correct Goodyear replacement tires on the car. Going to leave those on for judging and take the small hit in points.

John #2331

jrd1990zr1
01-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Green bag, locking lug nuts and lug nut key is a plus.

Do you have the owners pizza box, and what was included?

Labels on the 4 tires about the TPMS system?

Window sticker and build sheet? Repos available from NCM.

I have an OEM set of the Goodyear tires, wheels and sensors w/about 3000 miles on them I use for judging. As Marty said there is a small deduct for service replacements

As Mystic said a number of us have gone down this road. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

:handshak:

JMO343
01-23-2019, 03:36 PM
I do have the original pizza box with all items inside. All of my current rims have the stickers. I have the original window stickers but, no build sheet. Where is that located on the car? Or should just order a repo? Is this all needed for judging or just nice to have?

John #2331

Mystic ZR-1
01-23-2019, 04:36 PM
A couple small things:

A shot of WD40 on the latch mechanisms for the storage bins: they checked mine and expected them to latch when dropped from about 6 inches

Rear hatch: they expeced it to go ALL the way up when the button is pushed. I’ve had 3 C4s, 2 from new, none of them did this even when new. After the judging, I installed aftermarket lifts, now it almost rips the hatch off the car when the button is pushed...

Both of these could have been favorite gotchas by the individual judge, your mileage may vary

Also, know how everything operates, ex: all the radio features
Don’t lose sleep over losing a couple points! No shame in the freebie points for fire extinguisher, NCRS decal and driving to the event (take the long way...)

JMO343
01-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Great information. thanks Does NCRS sticker need to be on the car or just inside the car?

John #2331

JMO343
01-23-2019, 07:13 PM
I just checked the tires on my car. I have Goodyear eagle F1, same size as original front and back. I believe this are correct replacements.?

John #2331

DRM500RUBYZR-1
01-23-2019, 08:31 PM
I just checked the tires on my car. I have Goodyear eagle F1, same size as original front and back. I believe this are correct replacements.?

John #2331

Yes, fine.
Marty

DRM500RUBYZR-1
01-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Great information. thanks Does NCRS sticker need to be on the car or just inside the car?

John #2331

On the car.
Marty

JMO343
01-23-2019, 08:34 PM
Yes. On the car.

John #2331

jrd1990zr1
01-24-2019, 09:21 AM
I do have the original pizza box with all items inside. All of my current rims have the stickers. I have the original window stickers but, no build sheet. Where is that located on the car? Or should just order a repo? Is this all needed for judging or just nice to have?

John #2331

On a low mileage car such as yours you should have a build sheet tucked up by the gas tank. There is also typically one in the frame which is not retrievable (left front near the base of the shock absorber). Some times there is one in the dash.

Drop your spare tire carrier and take the spare out. Lay on your back and look upwards, you should be able to see the build sheet. I am not saying you should remove it since it may tear when you try. If you look to the rear on the inside of the rear bumper fascia the assembly date is sometimes visible written in crayon.

I am not saying you need to have a build sheet or order one from the NCM. It is only needed if there is a concern by a judge with how your car was delivered from the factory. Think of it as something to have just in case. Documentation. It is not a judged item.

Besides the NCRS sticker attached to the car, make sure you have a battery disconnect and a fire extinguisher to get the 10 bonus points during Operations judging.

The biggest point loss area is in Operations. Make sure everything works. If you don't have a judging manual for the car you should get one to use for reference. If you are a NCRS member the judging sheets are available (or they used to be) on their website.

JMO343
02-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Well I did find the build sheet when I removed the spare tire today. And stupit me I try to remove it. That didn’t turn out to well. I thought it would be easier then it really was. It came out half way and all ripped up. I should have just left it alone like I was told. So now I have half a build sheet. I did see the crayon mark on the rear of the car 5/1990 with an initial next to it.

Lesson learned today

John #2331

Mystic ZR-1
02-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Any writing in yellow tire crayon
on the spare tire?
Mine said ZR1, the date and
someone’s initials. Slightly worn.
The NCRS guys loved it....

JMO343
02-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Not really sure. Didn’t look that close at. I will have to drop it again and look closer.

John #2331

JMO343
02-10-2019, 01:27 PM
I just went and check my spare. It does have the yellow crayon marking on it.
ZR1 and someone’s initials

John #2331

jrd1990zr1
02-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Try to preserve the pieces of the build sheet you have. Might be an interesting exercise to order one from the museum (NCM) for comparison purposes. Just a thought.

JMO343
02-10-2019, 02:25 PM
I saved it and all the pieces and placed them in a zip lock bag.

John #2331

kr1276
02-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Sorry. Also have green bag with the spare lug nuts and the locking lug nut socket.

John #2331

John,

Could you send a pic of the green bag with the number and also of the tire gauge?

Thanks,

Keith
90 #331

JMO343
02-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Sure can. Send me your email. I have the bag photo already. Just need to take one of the tire gauge.

John #2331

kr1276
02-11-2019, 12:27 PM
John,

kr1276@aol.com

Thanks!

Keith

90 #331

precast1
04-05-2019, 10:08 AM
I just went and check my spare. It does have the yellow crayon marking on it.
ZR1 and someone’s initials

John #2331Can see mine there are two of them both trapped in the front suspension. Would have to take a good bit of the front suspension apart to get to them. I didn't know they were there the NCRS judges found them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90383)

Joelbbvette
04-07-2019, 11:26 AM
That is how the Corvette Plant managed to get rid of paperwork with making more trash. :-)

precast1
04-09-2019, 01:38 AM
John,

kr1276@aol.com

Thanks!

Keith

90 #331

Keith if you decide to have your car judged I do have a few extra things that may help. Yes, the judging sheets are on the NCRS website and I also would suggest to buy the judging manual it was a big help. Good luck hope you do it. I did the Chapter Meet first learned alot about what they were looking for. Then did the Regional Meet. Had a great experience from all the NCRS judges all they want to do is help you improve your car. Met a bunch of nice people and saw some amazing cars. Best of Luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90383)

kr1276
04-09-2019, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=precast1;292050]Keith if you decide to have your car judged I do have a few extra things that may help. Yes, the judging sheets are on the NCRS website and I also would suggest to buy the judging manual it was a big help. Good luck hope you do it. I did the Chapter Meet first learned alot about what they were looking for. Then did the Regional Meet. Had a great experience from all the NCRS judges all they want to do is help you improve your car. Met a bunch of nice people and saw some amazing cars. Best of Luck.

Precast1,

Thanks for the offer! I have purchased the judging manual and have printed out the sheets to use to go over the car. I do plan on having it judged at the winter event at Lakeland next year. It is about as original as it can be with only 369 miles on it so I am quite sure it will pass but I personally wanted to fix some of the issues and once again familiarize myself with the car. I came out there this year while you and Joel were getting your cars judged. Joel's had been completed and you were busy trying to get ready. Joel had tried to get me to just bring it like it was but after being out there, I was quite content with my decision to wait until next year so I will definitely be reaching out for guidance and information. I also plan on attending the judging classes to get a better perspective.
It is amazing the number of things that quit working or deteriorated on the car while just sitting. I have read all the lists and I am a victim of most of the same things. I am going the extra mile and not trying to shortcut anything or detract from its original condition visibly except fuel injectors.

I have already replaced fuel pumps and drained out old fuel. The tank was really clean. I also went ahead and replaced the fuel sender. I have also replaced the headlamp gears and bushings. I have rebuilt the seat pumps and am now doing the seat bladders (the right way). Next up will be fuel injectors which I already have and then I will address the Bose system for the cd eject issue.

Keith

Mystic ZR-1
04-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Sounds like you’ll be ready!
Good luck!
Be sure and ask them how many ZR-1s have
achieved a Top Flight.
NO! I won’t get over it... 😀

Joelbbvette
04-15-2019, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=precast1;292050]Keith if you decide to have your car judged I do have a few extra things that may help. Yes, the judging sheets are on the NCRS website and I also would suggest to buy the judging manual it was a big help. Good luck hope you do it. I did the Chapter Meet first learned alot about what they were looking for. Then did the Regional Meet. Had a great experience from all the NCRS judges all they want to do is help you improve your car. Met a bunch of nice people and saw some amazing cars. Best of Luck.

Precast1,

Thanks for the offer! I have purchased the judging manual and have printed out the sheets to use to go over the car. I do plan on having it judged at the winter event at Lakeland next year. It is about as original as it can be with only 369 miles on it so I am quite sure it will pass but I personally wanted to fix some of the issues and once again familiarize myself with the car. I came out there this year while you and Joel were getting your cars judged. Joel's had been completed and you were busy trying to get ready. Joel had tried to get me to just bring it like it was but after being out there, I was quite content with my decision to wait until next year so I will definitely be reaching out for guidance and information. I also plan on attending the judging classes to get a better perspective.
It is amazing the number of things that quit working or deteriorated on the car while just sitting. I have read all the lists and I am a victim of most of the same things. I am going the extra mile and not trying to shortcut anything or detract from its original condition visibly except fuel injectors.

I have already replaced fuel pumps and drained out old fuel. The tank was really clean. I also went ahead and replaced the fuel sender. I have also replaced the headlamp gears and bushings. I have rebuilt the seat pumps and am now doing the seat bladders (the right way). Next up will be fuel injectors which I already have and then I will address the Bose system for the cd eject issue.

Keith

Keith,

Glad you are coming along and please get your car judged at our Howie In the Hills show the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Will give you the first round of judging at a Chapter event and help you understand what is needed for the regional. Most of the judges at a regional are the same as at a National so if you do really well at the Regional, you should do REALLY well at the National. Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Joel

kr1276
04-16-2019, 08:34 PM
Joel,

Thanks! That is the goal! Slowly whittling the list down.

Keith

DRM500RUBYZR-1
04-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Remember one important thing...………..

It is supposed to be FUN!

Enjoy the preparation, the judging and the car!

Best of Luck!

Your hard work and preparation should get you what you want!

Just be sure to enjoy it all.

Marty
3 X chapter
1 X regional
equaled enough