PDA

View Full Version : How many members in the Atlanta area?

EvanZR1
06-12-2018, 07:16 PM
How many members in the Atlanta area and what part of town? We're potentially looking at moving back there from Dallas next spring.

RussMcB
06-12-2018, 11:21 PM
I'm in East Cobb (Marietta, near Roswell). It's a nice area. Close to two nice race tracks - Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park. It's also pretty convenient to join the Mountain Runs leading up to the C4 Gatherings at NCM.

The last time I was in Dallas it was around 107 degrees for the whole week (but I guess it's not all that much better here).

We Gone
06-13-2018, 07:04 AM
South of Atl.

EvanZR1
06-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the responses. How's the Corvette (and ZR-1) community in the Atlanta area? We haven't decided on exactly where we would go, but we're tentatively thinking about west to northwest of the city (think I20 to I75/575). My company is building a data center down on the Georgia Tech campus, but I don't have to be in 8-5 or every day, so I'll probably be looking for something a little further out to be more cost effective, but I do fly a couple times each month, so will want to not have an insane drive to the airport. Any advice would be appreciated.

RussMcB
06-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. How's the Corvette (and ZR-1) community in the Atlanta area? We haven't decided on exactly where we would go, but we're tentatively thinking about west to northwest of the city (think I20 to I75/575). My company is building a data center down on the Georgia Tech campus, but I don't have to be in 8-5 or every day, so I'll probably be looking for something a little further out to be more cost effective, but I do fly a couple times each month, so will want to not have an insane drive to the airport. Any advice would be appreciated.There isn't a really active ZR-1 community here (or maybe there is and I'm never invited. :-)

I bought my ZR-1 in 2015 and have hooked up with fellow owners 3-4 times since then.

Regarding driving to the airport - It depends on the time of day. If you go between 2:00am and 3:00am, it's not too bad. :-)

Just kidding. You do need to allow plenty of time to get to the airport. I use WAZE (phone app) to help me decide if I should use I-285 or go through the city.

When we first moved to ATL I worked at Coca-Cola and the commute from Kennesaw wasn't fun. It's good that you'll be working off hours.

They are doing a lot of work (adding "Express" lanes). Not sure how much it will help. Can't hurt.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/DS/GEL/NWC

EvanZR1
06-13-2018, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I saw the express lane work already. That's one reason I'm more open to up the 75/575 corridor. Other option we're considering is townhomes in the Smyrna area, but of course there's no 3 car garage option on any of those (although looking at most of them, the bottom/garage level could be expanded on most to do a tandem 3 car).

merc64
06-19-2018, 10:37 PM
I live in Gwinnett (near I-85 area). There is no way I could deal with the GA400/75/575 every day or any day for that matter. It was for that reason that we steered away from Roswell even though we really wanted to move there from Gwinnett. Anyway, welcome to GA when you get here :handshak:

We Gone
07-16-2018, 10:54 AM
I'm about 30 miles south of Atlanta just off I75, The commute to the airport or downtown is not bad as you don't have to go thru Alt. . Look forward to meeting you.

henryr
09-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Hi - i am here in Atl also.. I bit south of Russ in East Cobb area

EvanZR1
09-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Still evaluating the move. Right now it's kind of a 50/50 other than that the wife and I both have family in the Atlanta area. Traffic has gotten significantly worse than when I lived there in the late 90s (and it was pretty bad then). It's way worse than Dallas, and while the property taxes are less than 1/2 of Dallas area, you guys have state income tax and the housing really isn't any less expensive. It's definitely much prettier area though.