PDA

View Full Version : I saw a 86 Narrowbody prototype for sale

-=Jeff=-
05-15-2018, 01:32 PM
It was on the ZR1Net email list.. here are the details:

STOP PRESS

Here's the news - what happened to that English Yellow ZR1 prototype that
I proudly displayed at the NCM for two years just prior to the sinkhole?
Maybe the leaking oil cooler had something to do with it !! What a
fabulous piece of ZR1 history and SO very unique and collectible.

Last year after installing a new PHASE 1 starter motor and production
injectors, the motor fired up and ran (but only on 7 cylinders). Shut the
motor down and yelp FIRE - could not stop it and sadly the bulkhead and
dashboard was in flames - the local fire service extinguished it quickly but
the interior was trashed.

But guys, my life is now taking a different direction. thanks to a lovely
lady in California, so I need to find a new owner/restorer of this piece of
ZR1 history to continue the story of its life and resurrection.

Remember, this is the ONLY 1986 ZR1 Phase 1 motor (narrow body) Corvette
mule ZR1 in existence, all the other prototype ZR1's out there are wide
bodies and phase 2 to-phase 7 motors.

Truly unique with SO much history and background - a connection with this
English registered piece of automotive history akin to the 1961 Mako Shark,
1969 Aerovette, 1969 ZL1, and 1986 Indy.

Be like Prince Harry and Meghan get a US-UK connection.

It will need a full regular C4 interior from the seats forward, the most
challenging part is the wire harness mating the L98 to the LT5 (no
schematics).

Find a donor 86-87 vehicle, this will have all the parts and useable harness
you will need to re

place the interior.

Whilst this is a fire sale - if you need to ask the price you can't afford
it. This is a unique piece of Corvette history and well worth preserving and
any investment will be repaid in true collectible value.

So in short this is what this Corvette needs (I may have oversimplified
this)

. Remove engine/transmission (opportunity to check the internals
and the spark module etc)

. Repair section to the transmission tunnel fibreglass and bulkhead

. Replace whole interior, from front bulkhead back to rear bulkhead

. Fabricate/mate the L98 harness to the LT5 harness and ECM

. Replace the wiper motor and associated rear of engine bay wire
harness

. Repaint the roof panel (all other paint is still fine)

Advice guidance and the whole history of this unique piece is available.

RESTORE IT -are you that Guy (or Gal) !!!!

For more info, specifics and additional investment, email me (Keith Beschi)
on keef@eurovettes.com

spork2367
05-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Being that this is not in the for sale section I'll chip in my .02. Purely my opinion. Brett put a price on his car, why can't a price be put on this? Seems like a fishing expedition.

"any investment will be repaid in true collectible value"...Is that like: "The satisfaction of doing a good job is payment enough."...I seriously doubt the cost, plus the restoration would EVER see a return on investment. Of course I don't really know, since there isn't a price.

"...if you need to ask the price you can't afford it." This isn't a Bugatti prototype, it's a burned out C4 with a prototype engine and rear wheels. As this car sits now, I would put the price at 15-20k.

It is a very cool piece of history however. I hope someone is willing to take on the project.

-=Jeff=-
05-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Not mine, just what I came across, so personally I just posted what I saw..

Contact Keith for a price

spork2367
05-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Not mine, just what I came across, so personally I just posted what I saw..

Contact Keith for a price

Got it. I missed that. Edited my post accordingly.

-=Jeff=-
05-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Got it. I missed that. Edited my post accordingly.

No worries..

Z51JEFF
05-17-2018, 07:33 AM
I remember when this car was going together,the smarta$$ remark about not being able to afford it won’t help the guy any. Unless the guys got a detailed paper trail with the car just might be a hard sale.

KILLSHOTS
05-17-2018, 10:06 AM
I remember when this car was going together,the smarta$$ remark about not being able to afford it won’t help the guy any. Unless the guys got a detailed paper trail with the car just might be a hard sale.

Agreed. Very cool piece of history...to those who frequent this site, anyway. Neat, but far from priceless. In its current condition, worth maybe 10% of what Brett's car should bring, IMHO.

spork2367
05-17-2018, 10:59 AM
...worth maybe 10% of what Brett's car should bring, IMHO.

Totally agree. That's exactly where I came up with my ballpark.

Corvettes White
05-17-2018, 11:25 AM
For what it's worth, I am having lunch with the owner today. So if interested in it, let me know and I will pass it on. George

spork2367
05-17-2018, 12:02 PM
For what it's worth, I am having lunch with the owner today. So if interested in it, let me know and I will pass it on. George

You could let him know; If we have to ask about the price and he believes that means we can't afford it, he's probably asking too much....

Blue Flame Restorations
05-19-2018, 09:52 AM
I would ask to not be too hard on Keith. He's proud of the work he did on the car and sad about the work he needs to do again. It's a ton of work to bring these cars back to life. If mine were to catch fire like this, I'd honestly doubt I'd have the drive to do it all over again.

I've spoke with him. He'll be posting here soon.

eurovettes
05-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Hi Guys - I had some trouble getting logged into the net - now its OK
sorry you all feel bad about my post.

On today of the Royal Wedding I can now post a reply

This car is more than just a narrow body with a zr1 engine - its the earliest survivor of the LT5 program.

It comes with SO much history and paperwork that I collected from the time I saved it from the junkyard in UK to now.

I also have a load more prototype stuff including another chassis (as in HotB) and ph1 engine, 6 spd trans etc

The whole package of exclusivity should be valued in XS of $200k

I am in California now back in Uk June 1st I can be contacted keef@eurovettes.com at any time

Cheers
Keith
I hope the gathering is a great success - so sorry I cant be there

spork2367
05-19-2018, 02:12 PM
No hard feelings over the post, but even someone with money is going to be turned off by the “if you have to ask...” comment.

I think most people who frequent the forum are aware of what the car is. The car really isn’t anything more than a narrow body with an LT5, no matter what the provenance is.

It sucks about the fire. I wouldn’t wish that upon anyone’s collector car regardless of value or rarity.

200k? Not in a million years. Not that it’s an unrealistic figure for a car of that significance in general, but because of what the car is specifically. A c4.

As it sits, with all the extras, it’s probably worth 20-50k to someone who is in love with zr1s, has deep pockets, and/or a lot of free time.

I hope some does purchase it and continue the project.

Best of luck with the sale.

Hi Guys - I had some trouble getting logged into the net - now its OK
sorry you all feel bad about my post.

On today of the Royal Wedding I can now post a reply

This car is more than just a narrow body with a zr1 engine - its the earliest survivor of the LT5 program.

It comes with SO much history and paperwork that I collected from the time I saved it from the junkyard in UK to now.

I also have a load more prototype stuff including another chassis (as in HotB) and ph1 engine, 6 spd trans etc

The whole package of exclusivity should be valued in XS of $200k

I am in California now back in Uk June 1st I can be contacted keef@eurovettes.com at any time

Cheers
Keith
I hope the gathering is a great success - so sorry I cant be there

Blue Flame Restorations
05-20-2018, 01:03 PM
I just don't understand how anyone can be so rude about someone else's car, no matter what your personal feelings are.

Keith, we all know how important this car is to the heritage of the ZR-1.

=D>=D>

GOLDCYLON
05-20-2018, 03:24 PM
My view gents a 1 of 1 car. Value is determined by what somebody else is willing to pay for something. The owner can ask any price they wish. Yellow is a pretty htf color as well.

However I feel like the comment if you have to ask was a little rude. And if I may so since I was born in Northampton England, a little toffee nosed. I wish the seller luck in finding a restoration professional to rehab this now project and wish to express zero ill will for him and his car. It is a part of the ZR-1 history

Would love to have it. Way beyond my reach but hey I'm ok with that.

GC

spork2367
05-20-2018, 09:14 PM
I just don't understand how anyone can be so rude about someone else's car, no matter what your personal feelings are.

Keith, we all know how important this car is to the heritage of the ZR-1.

=D>=D>

Umm...wow! I hope Kieth didn’t take anything I said about the car as personally as you did because it wasn’t intended that way. As I already said, very cool car, very cool piece of history. Unfortunately C4 zr-1s are not nearly collectible enough for a pre-preproduction test mule car to fetch 200k in damaged condition. That’s simply the reality. He can ask whatever he wants, it’s his car. I’m not offended by his asking price.

However I feel like the comment if you have to ask was a little rude.

GC

This. Not one single potential buyer is going to be impressed by a comment like that. And I’m sure there are ALOT of people who could afford that car, even at 200k, who would have had no idea what to offer. It’s fishing at best, and down right rude and pretentious at worst. But that has nothing to do with the car.

tccrab
05-21-2018, 12:03 AM
Really?!!!
Really?!!!!!!!!!

You guys, this is a piece of history.
Not just a car, but a CAR.
No more, no less than one of the GT40's that won Lemans.
No more, no less than Grumpys original "Swamp Rat".
No more, no less than Richard Petty's first #43.

Keith, you own a true "One Of A Kind".

Sell it to someone who knows what it means and cherishes it for what it is.

Anyone who disparages it has no idea what it is or what it's providence is.

I will buy a lottery ticket tomorrow and if I win...well............
:handshak:
'Crabs

spork2367
05-21-2018, 08:12 AM

You guys, this is a piece of history.
Not just a car, but a CAR.
No more, no less than one of the GT40's that won Lemans.
No more, no less than Grumpys original "Swamp Rat".
No more, no less than Richard Petty's first #43.

Keith, you own a true "One Of A Kind".

Sell it to someone who knows what it means and cherishes it for what it is.

Anyone who disparages it has no idea what it is or what it's providence is.

The car is a special car. We've all said that. It's just not a huge money car. That's not my personal feelings speaking, as I have no personal attachment, like, or dislike of the car. I'm not sure why anyone (especially people who don't own the car) are taking that so personally.

No one in here has disparaged this car. This isn't a race winning car, it's provenance is as a proof of concept test mule. A mish mash of standard C4 parts and ZR1 prototype parts. It's very cool, and unique, but that doesn't mean huge money. And in its current state it has extensive damage, which cuts into that value significantly.

If the car and spare parts, as they sit now are worth 200k, then Brett's car is worth 600k...

The seller is welcome to ask 200k and anyone is welcome to pony it up. That's how the free market works.

RussMcB
05-21-2018, 10:58 AM
Amazing car. I'm sure some day it will be fully restored and appreciated because of its unique and historical importance

Blue Flame Restorations
08-10-2022, 10:37 AM
I spoke to Keith recently about rebuilding the car. We?ll see what the future holds.

GOLDCYLON
08-16-2022, 08:27 PM
I spoke to Keith recently about rebuilding the car. We?ll see what the future holds.

Well if anybody could put it back together right it would be you Brett. GC :cheers:

Blue Flame Restorations
08-18-2022, 04:19 PM
Thanks

I?d be honored to do it if asked to do so

spork2367
09-21-2022, 09:59 PM
Four years later and it's been untouched. That's a shame. I guess it wasn't worth 200k...

Hopefully it makes it's way to you Brett for a top notch restoration.

eurovettes
11-01-2022, 01:28 PM
So guys - time has moved on - Brett Henderson has agreed to restore the car to its former glory following the interior fire.

If interested in this unique piece of Z1 history then I would let it go for $100k as is.

FYI in restored and running condition (once interior is replaced) I suspect its historic value for collectors would be in excess of $200k.

MOTE due to Phase 1 engines throwing oil out at higher revs it has been set with a Marc Hiabeck chip restricting revs to 2000.

Remember this is a unique piece of history

More information keef@eurovettes.com

Blue Flame Restorations
12-25-2022, 11:29 PM
Car should be at my shop in a week or so.

Can?t wait to start.

AirbusDriver
01-15-2023, 03:25 PM
...NOTE due to Phase 1 engines throwing oil out at higher revs it has been set with a Marc Hiabeck chip restricting revs to 2000

Sounds like a very prudent decision

bob@tradeshowconsulting.c
02-04-2023, 04:13 PM
Car should be at my shop in a week or so.

Can?t wait to start.

Any update on this arriving at your shop?

Blue Flame Restorations
02-04-2023, 07:18 PM
Sure. It?s in the shop now. A plan has been set and work has begun.

bob@tradeshowconsulting.c
02-05-2023, 02:56 PM
would love to see close up pics of that early engine

Blue Flame Restorations
02-05-2023, 05:11 PM
Hi Bob. Hope you are well. Once I be pull the drivetrain, I?ll post some pics as long as Keith agrees

tiegsd
02-11-2023, 10:46 AM
Awesome! Glad to see something was able to be worked out to get this car back into form.

Was it ever able to be determined what caused the fire?

GOLDCYLON
02-15-2023, 02:33 AM
Sure. It?s in the shop now. A plan has been set and work has begun.

All I have to state is it is in the "right" place for this restoration. :cheers:

2poor4aZR1
04-24-2023, 07:11 PM
Any chance of a build log of the restoration? I'd love to follow the progress on this.

AirbusDriver
05-11-2023, 08:22 PM
I would appreciate an opportunity to see the car. It would look good next to 1989 #78👍