PDA

View Full Version : '90 Clear Coat Paint Red

bigruss7777
07-26-2004, 08:27 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys have had a clear coat problem with a '90. When looking at the hood or back deck of the car I see what looks like water spots all over the place. I bought Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner and applied 3 times in one place and the spots don't disappear. After using the Paint Cleaner, I used the Detailing clay bar and that didn't work either. A friend of mine has a similar problem with his '87 Buick Regal T and he was told it was a layer of the clear coat cracking. This "waterspotting" only appears on the hood and rear deck, I don't see anything on the sides. I am the third owner (has 30k miles) and it has been babied all these years.

Z Factor
07-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question, I know of no inherent problem with the 90's clear coat. As you may be aware, some water spotting is impossible to get out with all but the most aggressive wet sanding, and even then you might still see some residual marks. In some cases it must be re-sprayed, but hopefully you do not have it that bad.

A picture of the areas would go a long way in helping to determine what is going on.

bigruss7777
07-28-2004, 10:24 PM
I have a half-way decent picture of the back deck of the car that shows the spots I am talking about. I am unsure as to how to attach the photo on the message board, or should I just email it to you.
Thanks.
Rusty

bans25
07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
I have a half-way decent picture of the back deck of the car that shows the spots I am talking about. I am unsure as to how to attach the photo on the message board, or should I just email it to you.
Thanks.
Rusty

Send it to me, I will post for you
bansell@comcast.net

bans25
08-01-2004, 11:00 AM
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/bans25//dscn0631.jpg

ZR-1Mom
08-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Acid rain is a very common problem specially in the Northeast. What you can try is wet sanding the area with 2000 grit sand paper then use an orbital buffer with a polish to bring the shine back. If this doesn't work then you have a more serious problem.

thxalot
08-24-2004, 01:27 PM
When you say wet-sand the area, what liquid is used with the sand paper? Tap water, de-ionized water, soapy water, isopropyl?

-Burt

ZR-1Mom
08-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Water or soapy water is all you need to use and lots of it. The water helps wash away the grit. You need to be careful not to go thru the clear paint.