PDA

View Full Version : Dr Color Chip

Mystic ZR-1
04-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Anyone have any experience with using Dr Color Chip?

efnfast
04-25-2017, 06:49 PM
yup. very pleased with it.

rush91
04-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Yes. I used it on my Polo Green '91....They matched the color perfect. You may have to go over deep nicks or scratches twice.

Z51JEFF
05-03-2017, 03:09 AM
I e used it twice and both times they got the match wrong.

Billy Mild
05-03-2017, 05:10 PM
I used it on my white car and it did a pretty decent job. Much easier than using traditional methods to fix nicks.

conesare2seconds
05-04-2017, 02:43 AM
I've used it on a DD and my current ZR-1 with very good results, even over a large area on the DD. For really deep chips, consider using glazing putty first. The Dr. Color chip system will make a chip or scratch vanish is certain lighting, but the difference in surface level will be apparent in other lighting, even after a couple of coats. It could be that 5-6 coats will fill in entirely on horizontal surfaces, but vertical or more upright surfaces are still going to puddle due to gravity. Anyway, it's easy to use and I kind of enjoy the process.

Flyman 27
05-20-2017, 06:32 PM
I've used the product on 3 cars. Metal flake colors are usually hard to match with touch-up paint, but the DR system works well. Make sure you order only by the paint code on your build sticker, it's important. I applied several coats (after local cleaning with IPA) with a 1/4" wide detail flat brush (walmart art dept). Then carefully wet sanded with 2000 grit and polished it with a small 3" foam detail pad using maguire's polishing compound. You absolutely cannot tell where the scratches were.
It takes a little time to do right, but it was fun for me.

karlaw
05-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Turtle Wax has a kit, with clear coat only. It comes with 3 tiny sanding pads, and a bottle of cleaner, and a bottle of paint clarifier. I just found it last nite in my garage, so will be trying it out on my black Duramax.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90383)

karlaw
05-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Question: instead of Dr Color Chip, why not use those touch up bottles with the small brush in them, available at dealerships?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90383)

Flyman 27
05-20-2017, 06:57 PM
The ones from the dealership are thicker, almost like a paste. Very hard to work with. The DR is real automotive paint, flows easy, levels well and is easy to sand and finish if you are so inclined.
With a good quality brush, I have been able to repair scrapes about 1/4" x 4". The paint blends well with the original paint.

karlaw
05-20-2017, 07:04 PM
I have this black Duramax I bought at auction, lots of chips and scuffs.
I using a $100 airbrush and aerosol spray can of proper color. After spraying the rock chips with a tiny dot of paint, the next day it looks like tiny doughnuts all over the panel. Then I take a polish rag, and I use GM window spray on the rag or sometimes directly to panel. You can then rub off the overspray, and hopefully the inside of rock chip stays black. Same for scratches.
The trick is to rub around the chip and when as soon as overspray lifts....quit rubbing. Then I take a dab of black color Turtle Wax, and work the chip area.
Next come the power polisher with the foam pad, and on my variable speed I keep the setting very slow between 1-2, out of 10, and use a liquid light cutting and polish product.

karlaw
05-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Another way I have done, on any color of car, use the black dye Turtle Wax and dab the chip to black as possible. Once those nasty white colored chips are blackened out, they seem to disappear. Done this on bright red car, worked good.

karlaw
05-20-2017, 08:03 PM
I now want to try the Dr Color Chip now that you compared it to the paste like stuff from dealerships.

Flyman 27
05-20-2017, 08:16 PM
The DR stuff is real paint, it will run if you apply a coat that is too heavy. So several coats work better. It dries quickly, about 10-15 minutes.
It really benefits from using a real artist brush. Wally world has sets of the flat/square brushes that I really like. Plus, they are cheap, just toss them out.
Take your time & enjoy it. The product is very capable of being sanded & polished, it will blend in very well.

I had some deep chips on the shut edge of the driver's door. It took about 6 coats to build up enough paint. But it sanded easily (2000 wet) and polished easily with a 3" detail foam pad (orange). Honestly, the repair blends in and you can't see the patch. You just have to build up enough coats on the deep chips.
Good luck.

32valvesftw
05-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Used it on several cars with OK results. I think deep stuff will still show up. I just had some mixed for saw blades on my 91 ZR1 but have not applied it yet I will try to document the process when I do

Paul Workman
06-30-2017, 12:03 PM
My "goto" chip repair is the Langka kit with dealer touch up paint and an artist's brush.

All this stuff about going over it twice, or still being able to see divots when the light angle is right...is all foreign to me! I got caught in a hail storm in my black 95 Vette resulting in over a hundred chips. The Langka kit cleaned them all up so we'll I couldn't see any trace of the chips...and I'm talking about a BLACK car!

conesare2seconds
06-30-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the tip. Hadn't heard of Langka before, will give them a look before doing more touch up.