PDA

View Full Version : Another .....I need some purchasing advice post

RJY
07-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Hey folks... I'm preparing myself to begin the search for a ZR-1. There's just something about the C4 to me and the performance of the ZR-1 can't be questioned.

There's a couple of things that I'm in a quandry about. First of all, I have looked over the specs of the two different motors in these cars (year dependent of course) and I couldn't really see where there was anything mechanical that made the 30 HP difference. I even had a friend who has forgotten more things about Chevrolet motors and motors in general to look at the specs and he couldn't find that much either. Can someone let me in on what the difference is in the two motors enabling the 30 HP jump?

This brings me to my next question. Because of the performance of the 405 HP motor, I'm drawn to the '93-'95 models. Not to mention the fact that fewer numbers were made and the interiors were refined a bit. Should I persue the '93-'95 model year even though I may run across a few nice '91 or '92's? (I'm really not interested in the '90's because of the body style.) I realize the price difference and all that but I want to make an educated decision here because I essentially would be purchasing a car I would plan on having for many many years.

Any comment, input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! --RJ

WB9MCW
07-21-2004, 05:58 PM
4 BOLT MAINS...2 BOLTS ON 90-92 VERY STRONG AS WELL NO AS BIG A DEAL AS TYPICAL ON OTHER MOTORS. MILD PORTING AND DIFFERENT CAM PROFILES GET THE EXTRA 30 HP ON THE DYNO BUT NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE ON THE TRACK...SEE THIS LINK AND LOOK AT THE TOP END SPEEDS AND TIMES!!! http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/zr1/zr1perf.html
YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH ANY MODEL YEAR THEY ARE ALL GREAT!!!! STYLE~PRICE AND MILES ON THE CAR WILL BE THE MAIN FACTORS!! FOR BEST TOTAL INFO GET A COPY OF "THE HEART OF THE BEAST" AND READ IT COVER TO COVER AND ULL BE AN EXPERT YOURSELF....AVAIL AT http://www.corvettemuseum.com/index.shtml IN THEIR STORE HAVE FUN!!! :!: :!:

RJY
07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Bryan... thanks for the follow-up!!! Looks like I might become a member of not only the Corvette family but the ZR-1 as well. I've arranged to purchase a '95 well maintained, low mileage ZR-1 and should take delivery next Friday.

Patiently counting the time :).

WB9MCW
07-26-2004, 05:46 PM
congrats rjy and welcome to the brotherhood of the zr-1ers!!!

Z Factor
07-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Hello, and welcome RJY.

You can't go wrong with any year ZR-1, and I hope to hear that you pick up yours this coming week.

We Gone
07-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Welcome...keep us posted