PDA

View Full Version : 1991 CD/Radio Unit Display Flashes Off and On

Jason 91
12-31-2006, 03:51 PM
I’ve had this problem for some time now, but I haven’t been too concerned as I rarely use the stereo when I drive. I’m more interested in the sound of the LT5. :-D With that said, I’d still like to resolve this issue. Have any of you experienced this or have any ideas on the cause?

I’d like to think it’s something simple since I recall it happening around the first time I disconnected the negative battery cable. Also, the previous owner had the Bose amplifier and unit itself repaired by Factory Car Stereo Repair in Florida.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

RICHARD TILL
01-01-2007, 05:18 PM
about a year ago i had my radio and cdm box repaired by the same people. for a long time one of the display lights was out then the cd player quit playing. finally it completely died and started shooting fuses. after repair on both units and replacing one of the rear amps ($450) i was back in service. :)

Z Factor
01-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Also, the previous owner had the Bose amplifier and unit itself repaired by Factory Car Stereo Repair in Florida.

You may wish to contact them and see what they have to say. You might even have it covered under warranty if you have an old receipt from the previous owner(depending on their policy).

http://www.carstereohelp.com/

:cheers:

Jason 91
01-02-2007, 11:47 PM
I called them today actually and they think that it might be the CDM box which is the one thing that the previous owner did not have repaired. I was afraid that this might be it. I’m not concerned with the cost as much as I am with the removal and replacement of the CDM box. I’ve heard that it is difficult so I’ll have to find some time to get to this at some point.

Does anyone have any helpful hints on removing the CDM box?

Thanks,

Jason

RICHARD TILL
01-04-2007, 05:48 AM
they charged me $125 for repair of the cdm box. on the web-site is a description of how to remove it. its a pain in the rear to say the least but worth it in the long run. one problem i had was remembering which plug went on what side. if i had it to do over i`d take a magic marker, somehow number each plug and then write the number on the box itself.

Jason 91
01-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. If it gets too bad, I'll have to fly you out here to help. :cheers:

Just kidding, I think I can manage.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason 91
09-28-2007, 12:27 AM
I just replaced the alternator because I had flickering lights which were driving me crazy. This also fixed the problem associated with the CD/Radio unit display flashing off and on. I was thinking that these two problems might be related so I’m glad I didn’t pull the CDM box and send it off to be repaired unnecessarily. I wanted to circle back within this post just in case other owners encounter a similar problem.

Thanks,

Jason

Z Factor
09-28-2007, 04:10 AM
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] I wanted to circle back within this post just in case other owners encounter a similar problem.

Thanks for informing everyone. :thumbsup:

:cheers: