PDA

View Full Version : Prototype Engine Saga round 2.

Tyler Townsley
07-01-2015, 11:14 PM
As some of you know I found a phase II motor from ex5010 at Carlisle several years ago and decided to use it to replace the original motor I had done for Queenie in 2004. The original motor had suffered extensive cyl wash during the time it took me to iron out the wiring and injector problems. I had Geoff do the work and picked up the car. When I unloaded the car I lost oil pressure. It's taken me months of off and on work but I finally figured out the problem.

These engines were virtually hand built and each one had its own engineering changes. Geoff used the pan from the first engine which was a later engine than the ex5010 engine. In between the 2 engines they redesigned the oil pickup on the motors. The pickup was a little over a cm off and it the o ring did not fit correctly and seal the p/u between the block and the p/u. I pulled the pan at least 6 times trying to get it to seal before I decided to check the mating between the pan and block.

It has pressure now but it was a frustrating fix.

Tyler

W i l l
09-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Tyler, you are better than Sherlock Holmes. Congratulations on finding the problem!!

Blue Flame Restorations
09-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Good work, Tyler!