PDA

View Full Version : Spot Repair vs. Dr. Colorchip

Billy Mild
12-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Has anyone tried using Dr. Colorchip? I have a few spots where chips, and some road rash are present. I would like to fix this, but I'm afraid a body shop will just want to paint the entire car.

I will try and get some pictures of the chips.

efnfast
12-27-2014, 04:55 PM
I've used it and been happy with the results. I don't think I could find the spots I did.

Paul Workman
12-31-2014, 07:49 AM
I had excellent experience with the LANGKA (http://www.langka.com/)chip repair kit, up to dime-size repairs, as well as a few scratches too. (see link).

The trick to any repair kit is the drying time of the paint - which varies with temperature and humidity. A little trial and error may be required, depending on conditions and the size of the chip, I found.

My introduction to the Langka kit was in response to being caught in a hail storm with my (then) black 95 Vette. As result, I had dozens of chips to practice on, but once I was done there wasn't a trace of the chips. It saved me from a repaint job: impossible to see the repairs!:thumbsup:

Domestic Power
12-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Paul, did you use GM touch up paint along with the Langka kit ?, and sense we are talking about paint I have some chips on the edge of the throttle body so was wondering where I might get paint to match my 1990 Z's LT5

Paul Workman
01-03-2015, 04:57 AM
Paul, did you use GM touch up paint along with the Langka kit ?, and sense we are talking about paint I have some chips on the edge of the throttle body so was wondering where I might get paint to match my 1990 Z's LT5

Yes - GM touch up paint. Now, I found the paint at WalMart ( in the automotive section, actually!), but I've seen the little tubes at auto parts stores, and also at a local auto body supply store. I'm sure you could get some at an on-line auto paint supplier too.

Billy Mild
01-03-2015, 11:54 PM
Should I try and detail the paint before or after I attempt to fix the chips?

efnfast
01-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Should I try and detail the paint before or after I attempt to fix the chips?
Don't think it matters, but you certainly don't want wax on the area you are fixing.