PDA

View Full Version : Flex D/A Polisher

Z06scentair
09-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Anybody have one or used one?

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html

mike100
09-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Yes, I did recently get a Flex 3401 because it was taking too long to finish large panels with a non-forced rotation DA like a porter cable.

I would still recommend to start with the PC or the cheaper clone you can buy at harbor freight for $55-$60 on coupon. While you can move the pad across the paint quicker with the Flex, it will walk all over the place if you don't hold the pad flat. It is sometimes a two handed machine. The Porter cable is idiot proof and you can't hurt your paint with one of them. I still use the PC for tighter areas or for individual panels when I'm not doing an entire car.

mike100
09-03-2014, 09:31 PM
whatever you get, spend the extra coin and get the longer power cord.

Z06scentair
09-04-2014, 08:20 AM
I have the HF and PC already and they are comparable machines.

I'm looking at the flex because of the increased torque or so the say, as well as the trigger location.

Can you compare the flex to the PC in (1) power and torque output. (2) weight (3) noise and vibration.

Brad

cvette98pacecar
09-04-2014, 09:53 AM
I have the Cyclo, PC and the three inch GG. Since buying the Cyclo I use the PC strictly for interior.
As soon as one of the big chemical companies has a 20% off coupon for the entire store I will get the Rupes 21 and the 2" Pneumatic.
end of summer 2015 purchase is the Flex Rotary 6"

http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-21es-big-foot-polisher.html

Meanmyz
09-04-2014, 11:25 AM
I am currently borrowing a friend's Flex because my 3" Griot's Garage polisher took a dump on me.

I really like the Flex and it is probably the Cadillac of the bunch. Too bad they cost nearly $400.

Griot's has a lifetime warranty on their polishers and replaced mine without question. The 3" polisher in my mind is perfect for the smaller body panels of the Corvette. You can get different backing plates for the Flex, such as a 4" plate, which would be perfect. The negative is that you have now spent $$$ not only to buy the Flex and the standard 6" pads, but you have invested in a smaller backing plate and pads as well, which adds up to a whole lot of money invested.

My dilemma right now is whether to spend money for a Flex or also buy a 6" Griot's so I have the large and smaller one. I am only out a little over $100 bucks for the Griot's and they will replace it anytime.

The problem with the 3" GG is that they are not in my mind meant for extended use, such as detailing an entire car. They get hot quick and don't cool down. And they tend to eat their brushes like candy. At least my replacement had an extra set of brushes, something that Griot's doesn't sell individually.

I am hoping that the 6" GG isn't more of the same. Hmm, what to do?

Z06scentair
09-04-2014, 11:46 AM
I am currently borrowing a friend's Flex because my 3" Griot's Garage polisher took a dump on me.

I really like the Flex and it is probably the Cadillac of the bunch. Too bad they cost nearly $400.

Griot's has a lifetime warranty on their polishers and replaced mine without question. The 3" polisher in my mind is perfect for the smaller body panels of the Corvette. You can get different backing plates for the Flex, such as a 4" plate, which would be perfect. The negative is that you have now spent $$$ not only to buy the Flex and the standard 6" pads, but you have invested in a smaller backing plate and pads as well, which adds up to a whole lot of money invested.

My dilemma right now is whether to spend money for a Flex or also buy a 6" Griot's so I have the large and smaller one. I am only out a little over $100 bucks for the Griot's and they will replace it anytime.

The problem with the 3" GG is that they are not in my mind meant for extended use, such as detailing an entire car. They get hot quick and don't cool down. And they tend to eat their brushes like candy. At least my replacement had an extra set of brushes, something that Griot's doesn't sell individually.

I am hoping that the 6" GG isn't more of the same. Hmm, what to do?

How is the power of the flex and the noise and vibration compared to the GG?

mike100
09-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Can you compare the flex to the PC in (1) power and torque output. (2) weight (3) noise and vibration.

Brad

The Flex really gets a lot more work done and spins the heck out of a 6" pad. if you apply some pressure to get some cut, it doesn't slow down. The one thing that is different is that the rotational part is direct drive rather than free spinning so you don't get that crazy fast break-away rpm that the PC does when it is spinning in mid air. Sounds like it is moving slower, but the orbital throw is more and of course direct drive- you can just about move it across the panel at 2x the speed of a PC. You can also take bigger 'bites' by going with a slightly larger work area, depending on the product and how fast it dries out.

The trigger isn't that important. It does have a soft start so it doesn't just sling product at max rpm. The speed is also variable via the trigger. The max speed is set with a thumb knob similar to the PC. The best part is you can lock the trigger to full on with a lock button. This cuts back on grip fatigue as you will tire of holding the trigger after not too long.

If you already have your technique down, then for sure go for it, it is a little more difficult to use, but you can actually finish cars before dark with a little more prosumer grade of polisher. I delayed getting it for a year because it was so dang expensive and I was getting good results with the porter cable, but I finally gave in when there was a free shipping xmas super sale from a popular vendor in Florida. I did make one mistake and got a pad adapter kit I didn't really need- I found an individual adapter from here (http://www.detailing.com/store/flex-4-inch-backing-pad-for-xc-3401-vrg-rotary-orbital-polisher.html) that fits 5.5" pads. So get that one part and the Flex with the 25ft cord and you will be set. I think it does the best with 6.5" pads though.

2) weighs not much more
3)quieter

mike100
09-04-2014, 08:03 PM
I still use the PC for spreading wax and I found out it polishes glass real well using rayon pads and cerium oxide polish made for that. I probably use the PC more often, but for compounding cars for paint correction- Flex

Z06scentair
09-04-2014, 08:49 PM
but for compounding cars for paint correction- Flex

That's exactly my reason for wanting one.

mike100
09-04-2014, 11:27 PM
As soon as one of the big chemical companies has a 20% off coupon for the entire store I will get the Rupes 21 ...
http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-21es-big-foot-polisher.html

I was seriously considering this vs. the flex, but I wasn't too sure on the special air-cooled pads that they recommend and wanted to be able to use my collection of 5.5" pads I already owned. As it turned out I really like the larger pads for the flex and just bought more. Either way moar power gets the job done sooner.

Z06scentair
09-06-2014, 06:10 PM
I was seriously considering this vs. the flex, but I wasn't too sure on the special air-cooled pads that they recommend and wanted to be able to use my collection of 5.5" pads I already owned. As it turned out I really like the larger pads for the flex and just bought more. Either way moar power gets the job done sooner.

I broke down and ordered the xc3401, hoping for positive results!

cvette98pacecar
09-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Mike, That is funny that PBMA says to use an air cooled pad while Chemical guys recommends the black optic pads.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Rupes_LHR21ES_Big_Foot_Random_Orbital_Polisher_Kit _p/buf_400.htm

Z06scentair
09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Mike, That is funny that PBMA says to use an air cooled pad while Chemical guys recommends the black optic pads.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Rupes_LHR21ES_Big_Foot_Random_Orbital_Polisher_Kit _p/buf_400.htm

There is a nice comparison on YOUTUBE.

Flex XC3401 vs. Rupes LHR21ES

mike100
09-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Those black optics pads are petty good- i have two. They are kind of in the same league as a yellow cutting pad (maybe less actually), but never get saturated so you could polish a whole car with one pad (which a couple quick cleanings).

My accidental best application for those are actually for plastic headlamp polishing. The MF hair just works clear plastic perfectly.

cvette98pacecar
09-07-2014, 10:00 AM
There is a nice comparison on YOUTUBE.

Flex XC3401 vs. Rupes LHR21ES

Brad, just watched the video and was thoroughly impressed. Swiss Army Knife VS Surgeon Scalpel. I did need a a good rotary to burn so the XC was a great add to my arsenal. Not that my cars need correction, I am finding more people on a yearly basis that want me to buff their cars out. The Cyclo and XP just were not cutting it anymore.

Those black optics pads are petty good- i have two. They are kind of in the same league as a yellow cutting pad (maybe less actually), but never get saturated so you could polish a whole car with one pad (which a couple quick cleanings).

My accidental best application for those are actually for plastic headlamp polishing. The MF hair just works clear plastic perfectly.

Mike, I bought the XC last night from Chemical guys and today I got an Email from Chemical the Rupes 15 is on sale for 140.00 off the original price.

So do I add the surgical scalpel?

http://www.chemicalguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BUF_401&Click=101651&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=ConstantContact&utm_campaign=090714BUF_401

nelson007
09-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I bought my Flex two years ago while in Germany. I also have a Dewalt 894 I use for harder compounds on new cars i buy. I use the Flex because it cuts the time in half than if I use PC 7494. I use all Adams pads but use some Adam polishes along with others.
Nelson008

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html[/QUOTE]

Z06scentair
09-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Brad, just watched the video and was thoroughly impressed. Swiss Army Knife VS Surgeon Scalpel. I did need a a good rotary to burn so the XC was a great add to my arsenal. Not that my cars need correction, I am finding more people on a yearly basis that want me to buff their cars out. The Cyclo and XP just were not cutting it anymore.

Mike, I bought the XC last night from Chemical guys and today I got an Email from Chemical the Rupes 15 is on sale for 140.00 off the original price.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BUF_401&Click=101651&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=ConstantContact&utm_campaign=090714BUF_401

Adding the Rupes is a yes Robert,

Buy it and then compare the two for me.

Brad

mike100
09-07-2014, 11:58 AM

It is only money, right? haha. I have to pay sales tax on CG, but they have a coupon code for free shipping at least. I bet you end up using one more than the other. I got the flex because of a recommendation of somebody i know that has one, but I have never really known anybody who had both and which one they preferred.

nelson007
09-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Hello Mike,
What pad to use for the final buffing
Thanks,
Nelson

QUOTE=mike100;211654]Those black optics pads are petty good- i have two. They are kind of in the same league as a yellow cutting pad (maybe less actually), but never get saturated so you could polish a whole car with one pad (which a couple quick cleanings).

My accidental best application for those are actually for plastic headlamp polishing. The MF hair just works clear plastic perfectly.[/QUOTE]

cvette98pacecar
09-24-2014, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=nelson007;211707]Hello Mike,
What pad to use for the final buffing
Thanks,
Nelson

Okay, Now you are really going to laugh. There is no better machine out there than the Cyclo for final buffing. I use the pro 4" white pads than follow them up with a terry cloth bonnet, Than a microfiber bonnet.