PDA

View Full Version : Plenum virgin seeking any eyes-on possible

batchman
07-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Howdy neighbors!

Thanks to this site I figured out my skip - injector time for this kid. My favorite event of the year (Loudon autocross) is in 1.5 weeks, and I've put off the politely phrased pulling of the plenum until absolute need.

If FIC comes through (Delphis should show up tomorrow), and Mr Haibeck can ship when projected (TB bypass and horn props), and I can find the gaskets I stashed away ahead of time - I'll be skipping a cousin-in-law's wedding trip this weekend to try and get this thing running on all 8.

Any moral support, disaster aversion, knowing smiles appreciated, just try to suppress laughter on the state of my doom car garage (you race out of *this*? HAR HAR). Libations and sustenance provided! Heck I'll even try to offer up autocross run rides for any helpers. I'm in Pepperell MA for the gmap curious - not quite the middle of nowhere, but on a clear day we can see it from here.

Thanks for any kind thoughts really, I find I'm more nervous about this than I was about first times at, well, other things.

If I get the chance I may even start on the air horn tonight. Of course, with my luck new injectors will just make me run right through the clutch...

Cheers,
- Jeff

efnfast
07-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Jeff, I don't think Delphi injectors are ethanol tolerant, but the FIC's should be.
I've been helper on two plenum pulls, one being my own. I'd be happy to come down and lend a hand.
I'm pretty sure I've got plenum gaskets here if you get in a jam.
If you're doing it this weekend, I think I'm free. I was in Fitchburg today, not a bad ride for me. (What a dump Fitchburg proper is). -Steve

batchman
07-31-2014, 06:12 PM
Well I sure hope the Delphis are OK, he worked hard at reeling me in with 'em.

Steve I'd love a visit even if it's just to shout "don't jump" as I try to kick the chair out from under...

Just picked up what I hope to be the right belt (A/C delete coming up) and am about to chase down the long stem t40. Hope to get the coolant and air horn tonight, but...

In case you (or anybody) can make it by, absent chasing something I should be around Sat/Sun, the address is Birch Hill Rd Pepperell MA the house is 1/2 mile up (the #s are confusing around there), the site is the freestanding garage on the right. #s are 978 433 5369 (house) 978 512 1191 (cell).

efnfast
07-31-2014, 07:33 PM
When?

efnfast
07-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Jeff, 'fraid I have to bow out. My granddaughter is up from North Carolina and is coming over.

Z51JEFF
07-31-2014, 11:03 PM
My advice to you would be take alot of pictures.

batchman
08-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Hi Steve - family first my friend! For me, the wife and daughter are heading off to a wedding and leaving me to my wrenches, so it's going to be kind of a full time weekend.

And Jeff, thankfully this site has a wealth of what they're supposed to look like under there. Funny thing though is all your cars are clean - I think I have a couple hours' to put in with some simple green and air wash before the first surgeon's cut.

Thanks guys - I'll be a'postin' especially if I find something interesting under there!

Cheers,
- Jeff

BigJohn
08-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Mouse nest?????????

batchman
08-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Mouse nest?????????

Ha! That could be possible, I'll let you know. I think the "big reveal" will be in a couple hours. So far only one thing seems unlike the pictures (vac line to hvac runs between runners) - this site is awesome.

Casualties so far:
- one snapped t15 socket
- one snapped connector clip (tps)
- very loose dual-tee rubber block thing (purpose escapes me but appeared to be pcv in nature)

I suspect I'll leave the throttle cables on, lighting/vision problems lead me to think putting it back together would be an issue and this "trip" is more about getting it running and coming up with a plan for the next top pop. I do hope to yank the AC compressor while I'm here though.

Cheers,
- Jeff

batchman
08-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Well, got her apart, cleaned up a bit, sleeved one nibbled wire, primary o-rings changed and ac compressor pulled. Kinda funny with an English motor, you have to put some English on the unit to get the third bolt past the alternator. My 67.2" belt was just a little too tight for comfort, will swap it for a 67.5 but forgot that store is closed tomorrow.

Mouse nest?????????

Now just how did you know that - have you been peeking under my plenum?

Wow,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Nice Jeff, I had a few acorns, but no real nest. Don't forget to clean the drain hole under the plenum.

batchman
08-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Remembering that I'm trying to drain the swamp, I'm leaving the coil and starter alligators to the next time - hopefully to coincide with removing the secondaries and copious aluminum... So I can't see the drain hole and hesitate to just pour degreaser in as much as I'd like to. You guys have such clean cars - and engines!

Cheers,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Yeah, but you have a lot of fun!

batchman
08-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Whew - well it's buttoned back up but I have to scare up a torque wrench I trust at 20 ft/lbs. My good one starts at 55 LOL.

Cross fingers for vac and FP tests, maybe the patient lived and I'll make the Loudon event Sunday!

Cheers,
- Jeff

batchman
08-04-2014, 08:49 PM
So far - so good. I was going to be methodical and test vac first, then FP. True story - was going nuts chasing the FP fuses, couldn't get the hush panel off (never did find the 3rd screw). So I said to myself, this is more work than hooking up the fuel lines, so I did that.

Vac pump used to cycle about every 10 seconds, just for a blip. Now I think it's 12. Did not smell any fuel and was suspicious about that (noisy dehumidifier, couldn't really hear the pumps). So I popped the valve and had fuel, some air, but had fuel.

I cranked it only for a second but the battery was weak, off to the tender for a while.

I'll go back out later and start it for a minute to see if my skip is gone, but it's going to be a couple days until I get the coolant back into it etc. Holding out for a couple bits to come in first.

Later,
- Jeff

Z51JEFF
08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
So far - so good. I was going to be methodical and test vac first, then FP. True story - was going nuts chasing the FP fuses, couldn't get the hush panel off (never did find the 3rd screw). So I said to myself, this is more work than hooking up the fuel lines, so I did that.

Vac pump used to cycle about every 10 seconds, just for a blip. Now I think it's 12. Did not smell any fuel and was suspicious about that (noisy dehumidifier, couldn't really hear the pumps). So I popped the valve and had fuel, some air, but had fuel.

I cranked it only for a second but the battery was weak, off to the tender for a while.

I'll go back out later and start it for a minute to see if my skip is gone, but it's going to be a couple days until I get the coolant back into it etc. Holding out for a couple bits to come in first.

Later,
- Jeff
Theres a screw in the area of the fuse panel.

batchman
08-04-2014, 10:01 PM
It lives! Not ready to run it out but it seems like I have all 8 - on primaries at least. More later in the week.

Theres a screw in the area of the fuse panel.

I found one by the interior light, and another hole for one to the left of that, but never did find the 3rd - part bad lighting, part bad knees, impatience etc. Thought I felt all around by the side and maybe that one's missing too, I just couldn't get it to move enough to come out without it feeling bound, but with the one I did find removed it wiggles.

Thanks!
- Jeff

batchman
08-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Crikey! 4th try on the belt and still not right. Advice here said 67" for no A/C but I think that's with underdrive pullies. I started at 67.2, then 67.5, then 68, tonight 68.5 and still won't go without force. I probably could force it but I don' think I should have to - and it would take a third hand to do which is not available. Problem is to register for Sunday's Loudon event I should have had it up to temp, burped and tried the secondaries - to register ahead of that simply invites Murphy if you know what I mean. I'm already trashing the 2-week rule...

I suppose the bigger problem is I picked a parts house near my office (instead of near the house) that closes at 6, so it's a one-try-per-day on the belt. The good news is I talked with them ahead and they have all the Goodyear listed sizes available, with most in the store and the ones they don't have they can get in the afternoon (bigger NAPAs rule sometimes).

At first I didn't think the AC compressor weighed very much but it's actually 15 lbs. And that's all high and forward of the front wheels, boo-ya.

I tried the Haibeck crossover tube but without the AC there it just rattles around too much for my taste, and I don't like the look of my alternator boot (good instructions). I also put in the snorkel hoops but having trouble getting them to snap into place, hoping some vibration does it for me.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Z51JEFF
08-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Crikey! 4th try on the belt and still not right. Advice here said 67" for no A/C but I think that's with underdrive pullies. I started at 67.2, then 67.5, then 68, tonight 68.5 and still won't go without force. I probably could force it but I don' think I should have to - and it would take a third hand to do which is not available. Problem is to register for Sunday's Loudon event I should have had it up to temp, burped and tried the secondaries - to register ahead of that simply invites Murphy if you know what I mean. I'm already trashing the 2-week rule...

I suppose the bigger problem is I picked a parts house near my office (instead of near the house) that closes at 6, so it's a one-try-per-day on the belt. The good news is I talked with them ahead and they have all the Goodyear listed sizes available, with most in the store and the ones they don't have they can get in the afternoon (bigger NAPAs rule sometimes).

At first I didn't think the AC compressor weighed very much but it's actually 15 lbs. And that's all high and forward of the front wheels, boo-ya.

I tried the Haibeck crossover tube but without the AC there it just rattles around too much for my taste, and I don't like the look of my alternator boot (good instructions). I also put in the snorkel hoops but having trouble getting them to snap into place, hoping some vibration does it for me.

Cheers,
- Jeff
Some of these Goodyear belts wont fit,I had the same problem.Regardless of what I tried the bastard would not go on,got a Gates belt and it went on no problem.

batchman
08-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Annnnnd, the winner is - 60690 (that's 69" to you and me).

These are NAPA which I think are Gates.

Kinda funny, I was focused on the alternator as the path to "on" (since it's right near the tensioner) without really noticing the sticker and the trick to slip it behind the water pump - which doesn't have a lip to the rear. Of course once I started trying that I realized the new path doesn't allow much "behind the water pump" since it's a tight loop to the power steering.

But anyway the 68.5 almost made it, but would have needed a third hand (tried hard). A 69 is a wonderful thing (did I say that out loud?). It does put the tensioner further into its' travel than I'd like, but it is on and appears willing to stay put.

Ran it up to temp and all seemed happy, but it was too late to try the secondaries... Grrr...

Thanks for listening!
- Jeff

batchman
08-09-2014, 09:04 AM
We have Liftoff!

Now if I can get my trailer empty, tiedowns worked out, truck ready etc etc etc...

Thanks to all for the advice, the tech, and the shoulders to lean on.

Best,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Jeff, congrats. When is Loudon?

batchman
08-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Jeff, congrats. When is Loudon?

Sunday! Or, in a couple of hours, today!

Got the car on the trailer so now it's all up to my truck. Slow and steady wins that race I'm thinking. If the C4 is becoming antique my truck is a fossil - a 1986 F350. Funny thing about all the CF advice about using the factory tie down points - my Z only has three of those and none of them have holes big enough for hooks of proper rating. Didn't think I'd be making *this* up as I went along.

Steve I'd offer a ride but it'll get complicated - gotta be a weekend member and that costs $15. If you got to the gate early (like before 8:15am) that'd be the whole of it (go to SCCA/NER window) but after that the track charges to get in too. This is a fund raising event, "Race Against Lukemia", and we have loaner helmets.

All I'd ask is to leave my last couple runs solo so I can chase FTD and/or top 10 PAX.

Best,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Well, unfortunatly I hung out with family too late last night. Would have loved to have the opportunity to ride along. Hope you did well.

batchman
08-11-2014, 02:47 PM
The good news is the injector project is a wrap, and the truck/trailer worked out. On the other hand my times were not what they should have been - guess I was just having too much fun hooning. But it was fun!

Thanks/later,
- Jeff

batchman
08-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Caught in the act at the somewhat tricky exit element. In this shot you can see the side loading if you look at the distortion on the rear tire. Good camera work, you can see the grit/sand flying from the front tire.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96970921@N03/14940866075/

(on edit, I guess I can't direct link the shot for some reason)

With Permagrin,
- Jeff