PDA

View Full Version : Learning to tune....

LGAFF
07-02-2014, 04:43 PM
just bought a Moates ALDU1 going to start doing some data logging, once I understand that I will progressively moving towards "tuning". Thought I would post up the progress of what I learn and what I have to buy to along the way.

This is my first purchase, once I get it will add software, etc

http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl1-p-127.html?cPath=64

Is there interest in this type of thread?

Schrade
07-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Absolutely interested here Mr G...

I want to know how to WRITE TO, not just READ FROM ECM...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-j9pf1INPzqc/UkdVmlukS9I/AAAAAAAAB0U/DtWOV_anZRE/s1152/IMG_5608.JPG

Mine works great for reading, but I'm interested in fixing this problem that Marc says ALL LT5's have, at 1.6% to 2.4% Throttle Opening........................

Hog
07-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Moates should have all the parts to "burn" calibrations onto chips for install into the ECM.

He sells reading/writing equipement(read/write the chips), in addition to the datalogging equipement that reads the sensor data that is pictured above.

John at Tunercat sells the chip reading/burning equipment for $215. I deal with John, his support is excellent. If you need a parameter added to the Vehicle Definition Files(VDF's) he will do so. http://www.tunercat.com/cables/OBD1kit.html

Tuning threads are always cool.

LGAFF
07-02-2014, 06:30 PM
I will buy the parts as I progress. I spoke with a rep at moates and discussed what I need. I think one of the most confusing things about tuning is that you get everything thrown at you at once, so many options and choices....so I will start with basics and work my way up.

Franke
07-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Sounds like a good start and plan Lee. I would like to do the same some day but too busy right now. I will follow your posts with interest.

LGAFF
07-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Picked up a used Innovate wideband lm1; older model.....but I think it will work and price was right! Maybe one of the tuning heavyweights can comment????

1990 quasar blue
07-02-2014, 08:35 PM
just bought a Moates ALDU1 going to start doing some data logging, once I understand that I will progressively moving towards "tuning". Thought I would post up the progress of what I learn and what I have to buy to along the way.

This is my first purchase, once I get it will add software, etc

http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl1-p-127.html?cPath=64

Is there interest in this type of thread?

Definitely interested. I purchased everything to do the same about a year ago. Unfortunately I got intimidated by it pretty quick. I wish there was a way to get it done via remote admin or something similar.

-=Jeff=-
07-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Picked up a used Innovate wideband lm1; older model.....but I think it will work and price was right! Maybe one of the tuning heavyweights can comment????

I have an LC1 that is brand new in the box, you can daisy chain the LC1 with LM1 for both sides

As for Tuning.. I have been happy with Tunercat and Also been using Tuner Pro. I have a ADX (Datalogging) configuration for the 1990 ZR-1 that works well. I use it with my ALDLDroid datalogger

Also I have the VETuner that works well for the VE Tables at part throttle.. but I have yet to release it, I made a new build of the application but I am not sure Dominic has been able to check it out

I really need to start tuning more.. I am planning on incorporating the Moates Burn1/2, Ostrich and APU1 to my VE tuner at some point..

Then if I get really gutsy I can add ALDL, it takes time that is short for me at the moment.. but I can think big

XfireZ51
07-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Jeff,

Actually used new build of VETuner for my latest calibration. Seems to work fine.
Based on the net changes, pretty well done w VE changes at this point. Just doing some fine tuning right now on some other points.

mike100
07-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Not sure if it is even possible with the GM ecm's, but I wish the TunerProRT hit-tracing feature was functional. I would love to see what areas on certain tables are being called on during any given load situation.

XfireZ51
07-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Not sure if it is even possible with the GM ecm's, but I wish the TunerProRT hit-tracing feature was functional. I would love to see what areas on certain tables are being called on during any given load situation.

Mike,

Altho not real-time, VETuner will highlight those areas as it is recalcing the VE table. V2.0 will show what areas are being changed using color coding to show whether it's moving it richer, leaner, or no change in each cell and by how much. Up to now I do a compare of the previous bin w new bin in TPRT WHERE IT SHOWS +/- in each cell.

Schrade
07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Mike,

Altho not real-time, VETuner will highlight those areas as it is recalcing the VE table. V2.0 will show what areas are being changed using color coding to show whether it's moving it richer, leaner, or no change in each cell and by how much. Up to now I do a compare of the previous bin w new bin in TPRT WHERE IT SHOWS +/- in each cell.

Seems like we've gone right to advanced tuning here, from "Learning to tune"...

What does a wideband lm1 do? How does it work? Screenshots? Snappics?

-=Jeff=-
07-03-2014, 11:57 AM
VETuner:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xHdUmJRJBb0/U3-oWrc91CI/AAAAAAAAFzQ/q5rfLiCB2VE/w1013-h589-no/VETuner.jpg

LGAFF
07-03-2014, 01:40 PM
I will get things back on track....once I get the datalogging equipment I will go over setup, software choice, etc. Move into data available, how tos...will do the same for the wideband.

XfireZ51
07-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Seems like we've gone right to advanced tuning here, from "Learning to tune"...

What does a wideband lm1 do? How does it work? Screenshots? Snappics?

This isn't advanced tuning. It was an answer to mike100's question. And modifying the VE table is very basic stuff.

LGAFF
07-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Got the Xtreme ALDL and cables, first challenge....Tunepro RT says hardware not found.....I see Shrade had the same issue.

-=Jeff=-
07-05-2014, 07:09 PM
You need to setup the COM port. Did windows detect the hardware correctly? Also do you have the correct ADX definition file?

LGAFF
07-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Its says its working properly(hardware) and I have the 8E adx file from Tunerpros website

Computer shows a properly working FT232R USB UART

-=Jeff=-
07-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Not sure that ADX works.. I have a better one I know works

LGAFF
07-05-2014, 08:24 PM
No luck, I did find out that for just logging you hit the arrows....hardware only shows with an emulator....but still not working

-=Jeff=-
07-05-2014, 08:51 PM
use the attached ADX

For TunerPro.. Have you?

-Selected
Tools>Preferences
THEN
Data Acq/Emulation
Then
configure plug in component?

That is where the comport setting is..

Also confirm the comport listed there is the SAME as the comport listed in the computer's Device Manager

LGAFF
07-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Perfect Jeff, you are the man, I owe you one!

LGAFF
07-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Ok so I will post up some better instructions tomorrow....

To datalog you need

Xtreme ALDL w/cable $80
Tunerpro RT $39
The correct BIN file/The BIN is what turns the Binary date, the 1s and 0s into something we can read

and you are in business. I will show how it works tomorrow.

video of the data in a few...it give the basics. MAP/O2 readings(BLM/INT), spark advance, knock, RPM, MPH, IAC, TPS, etc

LGAFF
07-05-2014, 09:32 PM
this is tuner pro running off the ALDL

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115/lgaff/th_DSCN5841.jpg (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115/lgaff/DSCN5841.mp4)

-=Jeff=-
07-05-2014, 10:30 PM
So that ADX worked? Try it on the 1991 and 1992 let me know if it works, it needs a few tweaks for 91and the others but I want to see if it works as is first

-=Jeff=-
07-05-2014, 11:00 PM
same exact ADX used in ALDLDroid :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vU6UvQ5M2FY/U7i1ovUVwxI/AAAAAAAAF5Y/sYOv_x_Tvwc/w1156-h651-no/IMG_20140704_165216665.jpg

LGAFF
07-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Went out and did a quick data log this morning just to try it.....I failed to get the car up to 7.2K which surprised me.....seeing come knock at 5800..I lifted about 6K

-=Jeff=-
07-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Data logger only will record rim to about 6500. It is a data stream limitation

XfireZ51
07-06-2014, 06:44 PM
This is where the WB comes in. At 6300rpm you are running Open loop anyway. What you are interested in is kPa, AFR, knock retard(which is likely below 6300rpm if AFR is close), and TPS V and %. So the WB should be good enough for that and give you the rpm reading u need. Run the ALDL AND WB concurrently.

LGAFF
07-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Hopefully wideband will be here in a few days.....

XfireZ51
07-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Since this is a tuning thread, here's a good description about PW. Part of the basics.

"I take it you're referring to the complete concept behind pulse width and fueling, so taking a shot at this: the pulse width is the key to how much fuel will be injected, since the ECM can't influence things like fuel pressure and it don't have a way to directly measure fuel flow through the injector.

So what we do is this: knowing that an injector flows X amount of fuel at Y pressure (let's assume static pressure for now), resulting in a mass flow in pounds per hour, we can assume that holding the injectors open for say a tenth of an hour will result in a tenth of the fuel. The same thing happens when you hold it open for fractions of a second.
Here's your pulse width, or the easier way to refer to it - the short window of time where the injector is open.
Remember that this happens every (other!?) revolution of the engine, and hence that an engine rotating at 6000 rev per min (= 100 rev per sec) will only leave 1/100 seconds (10ms) per revolution for this window at max! This is also where the Duty Cycle comes in, expressing the ratio of time that the injector is open (PW) to the maximum possible opening time due to the engine speed. 50% means your injectors are only open during half of this window.

Furthermore, the injector offsets which we've been looking at, compensate for the time needed for the injector to open and close, because it is a mechanical device. It will take some time for the electromagnetic actuator to energize and lift the pintle of the seat (injector opening process). If you go back to kevm's post, he stated that e.g. an extra 400usec (400 microseconds, 0.4 millisec or 0.0004 seconds) are needed for this. When you have a PW (pulse width, time of injector opened) of 1.2 msec (1200usec), this is quite a big influence (33% difference). At 6 msec PW, 400usec are not quite as critical (6.7%).

By the way the opening injector pintle is also acting against the prevailing fuel pressure, that's why the injector offsets need changing by quite some amount when you raise fuel pressure."

-from Third Gen