PDA

View Full Version : WTB Camshaft Actuator - Part# 10098172

Okiedoke
04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
As luck would have it, I hadn't been able to see what the Z could do since it had hard '91 shoes. I've replaced them with Nittos and discovered a laminating rear spring, so I stopped driving it just in case. Found a replacement spring and then an engine oil leak developed. The Z's currently in the shop to have both taken care of. However, the shop is saying they need a camshaft actuator to fix the leak and isn't able to find the part since it's been discontinued. Everyone here's been very helpful in helping me find all of the other parts I needed. Thanks in advance for any pointers on this part.

LGAFF
04-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Just need to replace the O-ring.......NAPA A/C Part # 801207; 1988 and Prior O-ring kit.

Jerry probably has an O-ring for it also.

Lgaff

A26B
04-21-2014, 10:30 PM
All we carry are parts for the ZR-1 LT5

www.jerrysgaskets.com

Look under the Gaskets & Seals Category

I don't carry a PN 10098172 and can't find any reference to it on the "net."

Can you explain differently what it is? I don't recognize the term "camshaft actuator."

LGAFF
04-21-2014, 11:30 PM
I think its the cam sensor he is reffering to....but maybe I am wrong

Okiedoke
04-22-2014, 02:00 AM
"Camshaft actuator" was the term that the shop used and he gave me the part number. I can check with him tomorrow to see if he meant cam sensor. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of where the leak was and don't have a picture of the part he's referring to. Would either help? If I recall, the leak was coming from the middle of the left side of the engine where a black ribbed tube comes out.

Okiedoke
04-22-2014, 02:11 AM
I think the oil's coming out from the red circle in the picture below:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/harryhhsu/LT5_zps875f42ea.jpg

LGAFF
04-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Thats the cam sensor, you can use either Jerrys or the one I gave you, I am running that O-ring from NAPA on my 92 with no issues. Had Jerry been up and running when I had my issues, I would have went with his solution

A26B
04-22-2014, 09:37 AM
You really don't want to buy the sensor, just to fix the leak. There is an aftermarket sensor but it's in the neighborhood of $100. The seal is $1.90. The PN for the sensor is 10096172

Here's a link to the Camshaft Position Sensor seal. Inexpensive part, shipping takes a couple of days by Priority Mail but not so costly compared to the time & expense of calling & driving to locate it.

This seal can be a little tempermental at times. I would recommend cleaning the sensor & the hole for the sensor, then install the new o-ring seal with some non-hardening Permatex around the seal when installing. Better odds of stopping the leak.

http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=580

http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root/images/10096171.jpg

Okiedoke
04-22-2014, 11:47 AM
The shop confirmed it's the cam sensor and he got the part# from the sensor itself. He said it's not a seal issue and that some other part of the sensor is leaking through the plastic and will need to replace the sensor. Would you be able to point me to the aftermarket sensor you're referring to? I found one online at AutoZone for $199.99. It's a 1994, not sure if it's the same on a 1991. Here's the link:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Camshaft-Position-Sensor/1994-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR-1/_/N-j0wppZ9gsn2?itemIdentifier=195800_652113_0_

A26B
04-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Well, here's confirmation of the PN that you can see for yourself.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z224/A26B/10096172CamSensor_zps961c7884.jpg

You might do a search here on the forum. I recall seeing a post, maybe from Goldcylon, about a less expensive sensor.

Okiedoke
04-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks Jerry. I didn't mean to imply I doubted the part #. I more than likely could have misheard. You and Lgaff are infinitely more knowledgeable than I and I really appreciate you two being so responsive in sharing your experience and knowledge. I'm learning a great deal with every post I make in these forums.

I did find Goldcylon's post and had tried the link, but it no longer worked. I go ahead and give the AutoZone sensor a try. I gave them the Part# and they said it fits a 1991 as well.

phrogs
04-22-2014, 10:48 PM
I would change the boring first and see if it fixes it before you change the sensor.

I haven't seen to many if these go bad but you can do what you want. It's one small bolt that holds it in you pull the sensor and the bracket together and unplug the sensor it's really easy.

GOLDCYLON
04-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks Jerry. I didn't mean to imply I doubted the part #. I more than likely could have misheard. You and Lgaff are infinitely more knowledgeable than I and I really appreciate you two being so responsive in sharing your experience and knowledge. I'm learning a great deal with every post I make in these forums.

I did find Goldcylon's post and had tried the link, but it no longer worked. I go ahead and give the AutoZone sensor a try. I gave them the Part# and they said it fits a 1991 as well.

Yep I posted that 3 years ago I did try to find another link for you to no avail

Okiedoke
04-25-2014, 06:29 PM
It was still leaking after replacing the o-ring. I was dying to get back behind the wheel after these weeks so went with the new sensor. Picked it up yesterday and got my Z fix in, albeit in traffic, before today's down pour. It may all be in my head, but I think it's got a meaner growl now. Let the fun begin! :dancing