PDA

View Full Version : When I say “dog”….

Paul Workman
03-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Unintended controversy: The difficulty with communication on this or any forum from one person to another lies in the diversity of individual’s experiences, regardless of how clear a word or phrases seem to both parties as individuals!

When I say the word “dog”, what kind of dog comes to your mind?

Case in point: If anything but a Golden Retriever came to your mind, then your interpretation of the simple word DOG differs from mine. Try this with any group of people and see for yourself.

And, if a single word can invoke vastly different interpretations, imagine the trouble one can have trying to convey a complicated concept in a single phrase!

For example: I might say to an individual; “A good dog makes a great upland game bird flusher, but not much of a watch dog.”, all the while thinking of my Golden Retriever, Buddy (RIP). But, at the same time the one envisioning a Pit Bull, might immediately take up a debate over my statement because it conflicts significantly with characteristics of Pit Bulls.

Often is the case when discussing a topic on our forums a simple statement made may be interpreted entirely differently by someone reading the same words.

Example: A different DOG? What are the chances everyone now reading this are thinking of the same breed of “different DOG?”

Believe it or not, (being facetious here) frustration can ensue between even the best of friends when such misunderstandings exist. And, unfortunately, frustration sometimes morphs from a valuable academic exchange into (needless) anger which has been known to degenerate into personal slighting, and it sometimes even gets acrimonious!

Patience when writing (especially) is so important. Understand that even a simple word like DOG can mean different things to one or many that read that one ‘simple’ word. But, simply prefacing the word DOG with Golden Retriever (for example) narrows the scope of the word dog considerably. So, if there is initial miscommunication, (and often there will be!) we all need to practice patience and be ready to modify our written words and descriptions perhaps in multiple ways to promote a clear communication.

The health of our club or any club depends on it. Controversy is not a bad thing, especially when discussing the various sides of an argument. I think everyone would agree that we all benefit by the expression of various viewpoints and ideas. Controversy has never been the issue. But, when it veers into being derogatory, people tend to chose sides, stuff gets said, and it stops being fun to be a part of the club – at least for the moment.

We’re all human with human shortcomings. And I’m sure most of us joined the Registry to share our passion for our cars, but not to be exposed to a steady stream of ‘soap opera’ kinds of drama.

The fact is there has been some recent harmful conflicts – not restricted to the general membership either, unfortunately. In fact initial membership renewals for 2014 were significantly down and the most often reason given (when people would give one) was not due to controversy of ideas, but the personal bickering.

So, how do we all as members prevent the poison of acrimonious conflict? When wronged or felt we were wronged, do we selfishly demand our pound of flesh in public as some sometimes have, even if it means destroying the club?

In order to have the most fun out of our ZR-1s and this club, I personally will pledge to remember the mission statement: “Keeping the Legend Alive”. That statement I’m sure is at the heart of all the members and administrators here. And, if I say “dog” and you don’t know what I mean, I’ll do my best not to be contradictory in my choice of words, and to endeavor to find a way to clarify without becoming frustrated to the point of negativity or worse. But, if I do veer into a personal state of acrimony against an individual(s), either directly or by indirect implication, I trust our Moderators will step in to temper things down, or failing that remove that what in their judgment is harmful to the better good of the club and especially to the reasons members joined in the first place. Anyone with me?

LONG LIVE THE KOTH & THE ZR-1 NET REGISTRY!

Kevin
03-26-2014, 12:02 PM
husky corgi mix.

Paul Workman
03-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Golden Retriever

See my take on Rule # 5 (http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22365)

For the record, Cliff, I like your version very much. I'll read it again (and again), but it grasps the essentials. I'm agreeing with you Cliff...AND DON'T THINK I'M NOT WORRIED!

scottfab
03-26-2014, 02:30 PM
...snip...

When I say the word “dog”, what kind of dog comes to your mind?

....snip...

I trust our Moderators will step in to temper things down, or failing that remove that what in their judgment is harmful to the better good of the club and especially to the reasons members joined in the first place. Anyone with me?

LONG LIVE THE KOTH & THE ZR-1 NET REGISTRY!

A pretty long read there Paul. Condensing it down, here is what I got out of it.
1. It's easy to misunderstand
2. Mistakes can be made
3. Pissing contests are not good for the club.
4. Moderators need to "moderate" (IMHO not exacerbate)
5. Your pledge is to "Keeping the Legend Alive"

BTW. I think the key is "respect". Some deserve it an have earned it, others not so much. It should be acceptable to say "I disagree" without causing someone's teeth to clinch and their enamel pop off.
Dog? Here is what I think of:
http://snarkecards.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/OrxL8fTNsQ4tsP1.png

JFFerner
03-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I think you're referring to a Mustang.

Gunny
03-26-2014, 04:23 PM
This thread initially confused me since I thought it was referring to a religious discussion ... probably caused by the onset of dyslexia due to my age :wink:

scottfab
03-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Lets' try this example:

Someone posts:
"I use Duralube. It is wonderful and better than sliced cheese"

(this actually happened. )

Someone else is afraid of creating controversy and just says:
"I use recycled oil to save the planet"

(I made that up)

What I would post is:
"I have to disagree. OH PLEASE don't use Duralube !! It has been shown to cause problems.
After a time a chemical reaction occurs and creates an acid which damages things"
True story. It does.
http://www.qmimo.com/pages/Chlorine-in-your-engine.html

http://www.ebtx.com/mech/duralube.htm

http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/1999/05/ftc-charges-motor-oil-additive-marketers

http://forums.maxima.org/general-maxima-discussion/73913-my-dura-lube-experieneces.html

scottfab
03-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Truth be told. It was me that promoted Duralube in the 90s.
Mistake.
Other mistakes (along with Hib) was promoting Dexcool.
I think we all know now it's best to avoid it per Mark H's analysis.

Avoiding a disagreement by using other techniques is many times possible. However, not always. I better stop there. :censored:

efnfast
03-26-2014, 06:17 PM
I see a lot of people getting bent over stuff I can't figure out. Like when you tell a chick anything, all she hears is how fat you just called her. People read stuff into things that a lot of the rest of us don't see. Then there is the lack of emotion in a keyboard "What I said and what she heard are two very different things."

USAZR1
03-26-2014, 06:49 PM
I see a lot of people getting bent over stuff I can't figure out. People read stuff into things that a lot of the rest of us don't see.

I agree,100%. The level of rancor I see among some of the members is really disappointing. We're a brotherhood here but sometimes,we really do act like,,,brothers! :)

Racinfan83
03-26-2014, 06:57 PM
We have had this discussion many times on the other forum I moderate. The judicious use of the "emoticons" can sometimes help with one's understanding of what is written. Maybe it sounds "funny" to some - but they can really go a long way toward diffusing one's perception of what is written... :)

scottfab
03-27-2014, 05:41 AM
We have had this discussion many times on the other forum I moderate. The judicious use of the "emoticons" can sometimes help with one's understanding of what is written. Maybe it sounds "funny" to some - but they can really go a long way toward diffusing one's perception of what is written... :)

And that is truly the job of a moderator too, to step in and "defuse" things when a comment is taken wrong or the true impact of a comment is not understood by the author.

scottfab
03-27-2014, 05:43 AM
I see a lot of people getting bent over stuff I can't figure out. Like when you tell a chick anything, all she hears is how fat you just called her. People read stuff into things that a lot of the rest of us don't see. Then there is the lack of emotion in a keyboard "What I said and what she heard are two very different things."

Ain't that the truth.

Hog
03-28-2014, 09:51 AM
And that is truly the job of a moderator too, to step in and "defuse" things when a comment is taken wrong or the true impact of a comment is not understood by the author.

I thought a moderator's job was to CLOSE threads.(sarc)

When I read the word dog, in my head I was thinking about driving an automatic 5.0 Mustang and from a red light, going WOT and thinking to myself "Man this thing is a DOG".

scottfab
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
I thought a moderator's job was to CLOSE threads.(sarc)

When I read the word dog, in my head I was thinking about driving an automatic 5.0 Mustang and from a red light, going WOT and thinking to myself "Man this thing is a DOG".

In the old days I'd of said something witty here.
I'm pretty scared these days to do so. Seriously.
:censored: