PDA

View Full Version : B&B Fusion Mufflers

Top Toy
01-25-2014, 02:11 PM
I am selling a pair of B&B Fusion (dual mode) mufflers to fit a '90 to '95 ZR-1. These are polished stainless steel with 4 1/2" oval, double wall, outlets. The outer "loud" passages are 3" straight thru with vacuum operated butterfly valves. The inner "quiet" passages are smaller and baffled. The mufflers are packed with acoustic matting around the perforated passages. When the valves are open, exhaust flows thru both passages, guessing 75% thru the loud side and 25% thru the quiet side. When the valves are closed, 100% of the exhaust goes thru the quiet side. The vacuum diaphragms are also stainless steel and need to be connected via hose (not included) to a vacuum port on the engine. The muffler inlet pipes are 3" and designed to connect to a 3" B&B system or any custom system with 3" pipes.

These mufflers were part of a complete kit, including a key fob controlled wireless receiver, vacuum switch, and hose purchased directly from B&B less than a year ago. These mufflers are being offered without the vacuum controls (see explanation below), so you will need to either put together your own control package or connect them directly to a vacuum port without the controls. If you connect them directly to a vacuum port, the valves will be closed (quiet) at idle, during light acceleration and cruising because the vacuum is strong when the throttle plates are nearly closed. Under aggressive acceleration when the vacuum is weak, the valves will open. If you add a control kit, you will be able to open or close the valves on demand.

I purchased the package to replace my B&B Tri-Flow mufflers that I'd had on the car previously because after installation of headers, the resonance that plagues many of our cars with after market exhaust systems became more pronounced and annoying on road trips. I figured the quiet side of the mufflers would help reduce the resonance and make cruising a lot more pleasant. I was only partially right -- these mufflers completely eliminated the resonance in both the quiet and loud modes. With the valves open, the mufflers are louder and more aggressive sounding than my previous Tri-Flows and with the valves closed are quieter than the Tri-Flows but still louder than stock. And, again, there is no resonance at any speed in either mode. These mufflers provide the best of all worlds for our cars.

The tips deserve special mention. If you're familiar with standard Tri-Flows, they have single walls and a rolled outer edge. The tips on these Fusion mufflers are double wall - the inner wall tapers all the way back to the muffler outlet - and the outer edge has a much sharper appearance than the Tri-Flows. These Fusion mufflers are very popular on C6's, so you may have seen some on those cars.

I am selling these mufflers because I received a new set from B&B as warranty replacements for these. The driver's side muffler has an internal rattle, probably due to a baffle not being properly welded in place. It only rattles at certain rpm's and is most noticeable when accelerating slowly thru the rpm range. It is not noticeable under heavy acceleration and not noticeable at cruise. The passenger side muffler has no issues. Both mufflers are otherwise flawless (no scratches or dents and shine like mirrors -- B&B can't be beat for the quality of their finishes).

Regarding the rattle, you can choose to either live with it or, if you have access to someone who is a good stainless welder, cut the casing open, reweld the offending baffle, and weld it closed. I recommend trying it first on your car to see if it even rattles with your particular exhaust set-up.

I have pictures available for anyone interested. Sorry -- I couldn't get them down-sized enough to post here.

The mufflers with vacuum controls, hose, etc. currently list for around $1100. A complete cat-back system with these mufflers lists for $1486.10. I'm offering these for $300 (was $400) plus freight. If you're interested, email me for pics at dennisderr@cinci.rr.com.

XfireZ51
01-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Dennis,

Super deal! You coming for the 1/2 mile?

Top Toy
01-30-2014, 10:32 PM
Dennis,

Super deal! You coming for the 1/2 mile?

Unfortunately, not likely. I moved back to eastern PA this past summer. Would be a long commute. :-(

Top Toy
03-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Mufflers are sold.