PDA

View Full Version : BG 2014 Wish List

RHanselman
11-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Well it's about that time when we start putting the BG plan in place. 15-17 May 2014

This year will be a little different in that the Museum will be hosting and will help in the planning...

I'd like to solicit your comments on what you would like to see this year along with any feedback on past events. I'd like not to reinvent the wheel and then make the same mistakes along the way...

We seem to be seminar heavy (which I like) and we're a little light on the cruises (which I don't usually participate it). Please give me your wish list and I'll see what we can do!

I’ll be working Pizza Night, Drag Racing, seminar's, an autocross as well as a BBQ and Banquet.

Please don't be shy and if you'd like to have a speaking roll please let me know sooner than latter...

Looking for another great time!

:cheers:
Ron

efnfast
11-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Only been once. I didn't go last year due to budget constraints. I'd like to see more cruises. My wife came along the first time and really wasn't interested in the seminars. -Steve

FU
11-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Let'shave some racing...drag , auto X, Pizza , seminars. Party at JVD's !
Ron I sent you a pm on this.

Party at JVD's and not have another get-together at the exact same time because we want to continue to divide the group.

JThomas
11-11-2013, 11:50 AM
I will volunteer to lead a cruise to some point of interest, like a distillery, car shop, restaurant, etc. I just need a map and time to pre-plan a route, so that the drive would be fun.

ZZZZZR1
11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Ron,

I've been talking to Marc Haibeck and a generous enthusiast about bringing 7 PROTOTYPE* motors to BG for 2014.

Also spoke to Dave Mclellan about an engineer who has great knowledge about these motors and seeing if he is available to come discuss them.

Will contact you with more info about this!

Thanks for stepping up Ron!

David

* Active Suspension / Dry Sump and many more!

RHanselman
11-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh BTW - We'll be planning a Mountain Run again Mon - Wed. Was a blast last year!

RHanselman
11-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Rooms can be reserved at the Holiday Inn U-Plaza (under our block) until 4/14/14.

(270) 745-0088

JFFerner
11-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Please advise of dates & times etc. for those of us (If there is anyone else like me who has not attended this before) who are innocent and naive. Thanks. Jim

cvette98pacecar
11-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Oh BTW - We'll be planning a Mountain Run again Mon - Wed. Was a blast last year!

I was planning on having the 2nd annual Mountain Run if you were not going to add it to BG. Are you going to be attending?

RHanselman
11-11-2013, 03:47 PM
I was planning on having the 2nd annual Mountain Run if you were not going to add it to BG. Are you going to be attending?

I will be attending and it's all your's. It was an after thought to my first post... I'll be glad to include on the schedule if you would like.

Ron

RHanselman
11-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Please advise of dates & times etc. for those of us (If there is anyone else like me who has not attended this before) who are innocent and naive. Thanks. Jim

Jim,

The official dates are 15-17 May 2014. We have a membership pizza night on Wed evening prior. A detailed schedule of events will be firmed up over the next few months but plan on a full day every day.

Cheers,
Ron

cvette98pacecar
11-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I will be attending and it's all your's. It was an after thought to my first post... I'll be glad to include on the schedule if you would like.

Ron

Yes, Lets include it. I will work on it and have a complete Itinerary just after Thanksgiving.
Maybe we can get frank to join in the fun. I know he can drive in a straight line, lets see what he can do around the corners.
Gunny, I look forward to chasing you through the mountains again.

ZZZZZR1
11-11-2013, 04:04 PM
For the new people, here's some info

Here is our hotel:

Holiday Inn University Plaza
1021 Wilkinson Trace
Bowling Green, KY 42103
(270) 745-0088
www.holidayinnbowlinggreen.com

Arrival is typically Wednesday (May 17) afternoon and we leave Sunday morning

We typically have a welcome reception Wednesday night in the lobby
of the holiday inn from 6pm till 10pm (many stay late)

Thursday JVD has a BBQ @ Automasters

Last year we had a BBQ in the holiday inn parking lot. Big hit, hope we do it again next year

Saturday is the banquet @ the NCM

Here is the address for the museum:

National Corvette Museum
350 Corvette Drive
Bowling Green, KY 42101-9134
1-800-53VETTE(83883)
1-270-781-7973

Can't wait!!!

David

RHanselman
11-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Ron,

I've been talking to Marc Haibeck and a generous enthusiast about bringing 7 PROTOTYPE* motors to BG for 2014.

Also spoke to Dave Mclellan about an engineer who has great knowledge about these motors and seeing if he is available to come discuss them.

Great!

RHanselman
11-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Thursday JVD has a BBQ @ Automasters

Last year we had a BBQ in the holiday inn parking lot.

Saturday is the banquet @ the NCM

David,

Thanks for posting a typical schedule!

These are great parts of our event however we are still putting the pieces together. These individual events are subject to flex so don't plan around them just yet... It will be weeks before it's all fleshed out. We will remain flexible where we can but the big items like the Banquet will stay in place once set.

Cheers,
Ron

Blue Flame Restorations
11-11-2013, 11:43 PM
Would like to see some cars on display in the NCM. Not my own but would like to see some rare examples.

Daniel_Mc
11-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Guys all great ideas however I feel we need to focus on what made The Gathering Great and that’s the people. This is NOT a ZR-1 only event this is the C4 event; hence the name The C4/ZR-1 Gathering. The C4 Corvette is one of the most produced models with something like 360K being produced. If we keep catering to ZR-1 only we will not have much of a Gathering to speak of. The GS group did attend and attendance has dwindled because nothing was offered for them. Now am I saying make The Gathering a GS event? No, what I am saying is make this event for everyone. The C4 Corvette saved the Corvette IMHO and was some of the best years, with the best personalities you could ask for within, around, and involved with Corvette. We need something for everyone the L83’s, L98’s, LT1’s, LT4’s, AND LT5’s. We can still have a great time and involve everyone. The C4 had several special models within its production years and that has not been exploited not to mention all of the tuners. Also LOTS of C4’s were raced; I bet lots of stories revolve around those people. Wouldn’t that be interesting not to mention the personalities and people. There is no reason why The Gathering could not see 200 plus people in attendance with the amount of C4’s produced. We just have to make this The Destination for C4 owners and make it attractive to them.

-Daniel

JThomas
11-12-2013, 09:44 PM
What about highlighting the 35th Anniversary Car? It is a beautiful car that was very quietly celebrated. What about trying to get a collection of those cars at the event?

Just some thoughts. What about specialty C4's? 84, 88, 93, 96? Throw in the pace cars and it could be a nice presentation.

Tony Davila
11-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Hell yeah, tail gate party in the Holiday parking lot was a lot of fun. A must do........

My son bought a 92 LT1/6spd C4 just so that he had something to bring in May. Youngest son (14) wants a GS when he gets older and wants to come also.

:flag2:

Fully Vetted
11-13-2013, 07:52 PM
It would be nice to have a Maintenance or Mod event. We could plan a plenum pull or a injectors swap or any of the most common issues that we deal with. Or a header install or something. We could do it in the back of the museum where Robert and Daniel did the detailing last year since they have lifts.

Vetman
11-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Is this going to part of 20th anniversary of NCM?

Mystic ZR-1
11-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Maybe some better food at the Saturday banquet at the NCM? :confused:

WARP TEN
11-14-2013, 04:15 PM

Party at JVD's and not have another get-together at the exact same time because we want to continue to divide the group.

I am all with Frank. Drag racing if possible, auto X and party at JVD's. Let's support JVDs and not split the group.

Also, an adminstrative item: I would like to see some high quality, easy to read name tags. Plastic with magnetic hold-on that can be reused. Perhaps with founding member/number or other identifying info. Maybe with your forum handle since that is how we know most members. In fact, I think a name tag should be part of every new member's welcome kit along with the T shirt. My guess is we could charge for them if need be and it shouldn't be to much. --Bob

LGAFF
11-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Whatever you do, make sure that you have trophies for Autocross, and Amish Girls handing them out.....conservative amish.

efnfast
11-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Lee, from what I hear, it better be nuns handing out the trophies.

LGAFF
11-14-2013, 06:02 PM
For the record I am busting balls......I think a focus on participation events would be great....Autocross, maybe even a group plenum pull....something interesting.

tf95ZR1
11-14-2013, 11:45 PM
For the record I am busting balls...... maybe even a group plenum pull

Now that's just WRONG!

XfireZ51
11-15-2013, 08:47 AM
For the record I am busting balls......I think a focus on participation events would be great....Autocross, maybe even a group plenum pull....something interesting.

Lee,

When are you showing up for one of these?

JFFerner
11-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Do we have a block of rooms set aside for us at the Holiday Inn? I just tried to reserve a room and there are almost no rooms left. Also the 15th of May 2014 is a Thursday. If our organization has a block of rooms, perhaps that's the reason for limited availability. I was not able to reserve a room there for Wednesday, May 14 but did so from Thursday through Saturday nights. Jim

Racinfan83
11-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Just my 2 cents - if getting a room sometime close to the deadline is gonna be a problem - then it's a no-go for me. We bid month to month for days off and vacation days and it's all based on seniority. I will be lucky to know if I can even GO by mid April...
And how far is this from Louisville? My wife would like to come Friday and Saturday but she would need to fly into SDF and have me pick her up there..
And with that said - I would hope she could see the plant and museum on Fri pm or Saturday....

ZZZZZR1
11-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Do we have a block of rooms set aside for us at the Holiday Inn? I just tried to reserve a room and there are almost no rooms left. Also the 15th of May 2014 is a Thursday. If our organization has a block of rooms, perhaps that's the reason for limited availability. I was not able to reserve a room there for Wednesday, May 14 but did so from Thursday through Saturday nights. Jim

Jim

There is a block of rooms. Say you are with the
ZR-1 net registry / GS registry

David

WARP TEN
11-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Also how about a plant tour? We did that one year early on. -- Bob

XfireZ51
11-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Also how about a plant tour? We did that one year early on. -- Bob

I like that idea Bob. Some of us can't get there in time for the plant tour the NCM schedules. Wonder how many of those guys on the line remember building the KOTH?

-=Jeff=-
11-15-2013, 12:58 PM
What about highlighting the 35th Anniversary Car? It is a beautiful car that was very quietly celebrated. What about trying to get a collection of those cars at the event?

Just some thoughts. What about specialty C4's? 84, 88, 93, 96? Throw in the pace cars and it could be a nice presentation.

I like that Idea of Specialty Cars..

I just wish my son was not in school for those days, He was asking for a road trip to the Museum (which shocked my quite honestly), This would be the perfect event, but there are 2 unavoidable roadblock for him going:

1) he has not missed a single day of school since Kindergarten and he is very proud of that (he is in 5th grade BTW)
2) I refuse take him out of school for a vacation..

I need to see if I will have enough time to go this next year.. dunno yet

phrogs
11-30-2013, 07:44 AM

I just wish my son was not in school for those days, He was asking for a road trip to the Museum (which shocked my quite honestly), This would be the perfect event, but there are 2 unavoidable roadblock for him going:

1) he has not missed a single day of school since Kindergarten and he is very proud of that (he is in 5th grade BTW)

I think this is worthy of skipping school. Perfect attendance is. I've but life is life live a little have some fun with him and go to the gathering.

cvette98pacecar
12-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Road trips. Lets plan a couple of trips for thursday, friday.

Jetjock
12-14-2013, 05:52 PM
It would be nice to have a Maintenance or Mod event. We could plan a plenum pull or a injectors swap or any of the most common issues that we deal with. Or a header install or something. We could do it in the back of the museum where Robert and Daniel did the detailing last year since they have lifts.

David, that's exactly what I want to see and to go further with that, put the car up on the lift in the back, go through the underneath and take a look at the bushings, shocks, tranny, etc. Lets look at the car all the way around with hands on experience. I recommend using your car.

RHanselman
12-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Lots of good idea's... Keep them coming!

LGAFF
12-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Raptor Twin Turbo System raffle!

RHanselman
12-14-2013, 09:04 PM
You never know....

Halinmontana
12-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Having lived in Louisville area, there are several areas for day trips i.e. Maker's Mark Distillery, Ky Bourbon Trail, Mammoth Caves National Park, etc. Too bad that Tail of the Dragon is a little too far!

XfireZ51
12-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Having lived in Louisville area, there are several areas for day trips i.e. Maker's Mark Distillery, Ky Bourbon Trail, Mammoth Caves National Park, etc. Too bad that Tail of the Dragon is a little too far!

Mammoth Caves sound awesome and the distillery would be fun.

oricale
12-20-2013, 06:10 PM
I have a bit of experience in the "art" of pulling plenum,engine, interior, ect... It would be a honor to lead a pull of a few plenums or ??????...:cheers:

Fully Vetted
12-25-2013, 02:30 PM
David, that's exactly what I want to see and to go further with that, put the car up on the lift in the back, go through the underneath and take a look at the bushings, shocks, tranny, etc. Lets look at the car all the way around with hands on experience. I recommend using your car.

I might be willing to buy a coil over package if we could do a live install. That might be more of a project than is wanted, though.

oricale
12-26-2013, 07:18 AM
That would be cool, However it might be difficult without a lift or jacks ect.

I can pretty much do anything with the top end of an LT5 with just my bag of tools and torque wrenches.

I would recommend we stay with plenum pulls, starter, alt's,injectors, interior,.

Also, I would say that before we get there ask Jerry to bring a good supply of things.:handshak:

Fully Vetted
12-26-2013, 10:40 PM
I will volunteer to show the proper way to ignite a nice set of Michelins ;)

Jetjock
12-28-2013, 02:53 PM
That would be cool, However it might be difficult without a lift or jacks ect.

I can pretty much do anything with the top end of an LT5 with just my bag of tools and torque wrenches.

I would recommend we stay with plenum pulls, starter, alt's,injectors, interior,.

Also, I would say that before we get there ask Jerry to bring a good supply of things.:handshak:

The museum has lifts.

Paul Workman
01-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Dominic and I have been kicking around a impromptu gathering at MerCruiser to look at the QC4v with the intent of, among other things, to see if MerCruiser would like to participate in the BG gathering. Anything from providing a display of the motor to a ZR-1 with the new motor installed (I'll volunteer mine:dancing) would be of huge interest - not only to ZR-1 people, but to the rest of the C4 community as well.

Just a thought!:)

Blue Flame Restorations
01-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Dominic and I have been kicking around a impromptu gathering at MerCruiser to look at the QC4v with the intent of, among other things, to see if MerCruiser would like to participate in the BG gathering. Anything from providing a display of the motor to a ZR-1 with the new motor installed (I'll volunteer mine:dancing) would be of huge interest - not only to ZR-1 people, but to the rest of the C4 community as well.

Just a thought!:)

I like it!!!! How many hrs drive is it from Chicago, Paul?

gbrtng
01-04-2014, 06:36 PM
It's on 41 at Fond du Lac about 60 miles north of Milwaukee.

Blue Flame Restorations
01-04-2014, 07:08 PM
That's not a real bad drive from Indy. I can see the caravan now!! :handshak:

Bob Eyres
01-10-2014, 10:56 AM
This is NOT a ZR-1 only event this is the C4 event; hence the name The C4/ZR-1 Gathering. The C4 Corvette is one of the most produced models with something like 360K being produced. If we keep catering to ZR-1 only we will not have much of a Gathering to speak of. ...We need something for everyone the L83’s, L98’s, LT1’s, LT4’s, AND LT5’s. We can still have a great time and involve everyone. The C4 had several special models within its production years and that has not been exploited not to mention all of the tuners. Also LOTS of C4’s were raced; I bet lots of stories revolve around those people. Wouldn’t that be interesting not to mention the personalities and people. There is no reason why The Gathering could not see 200 plus people in attendance with the amount of C4’s produced. -Daniel

I don't mean to be critical, but although I love all Corvettes, I have no interest in driving 1,000mi. to see cars other than ZR-1's. That's the draw for me. Maybe that's not diplomatic, but that's how I feel. I have attended a number of Gatherings in the past, and had a great time. But haven't been to one in a few years. Has attendance been so low that now it's a C4 event?
My primary interest is in the seminars about the history, care, feeding, and modifying of the ZR-1/LT5.
These Gatherings used to attract ZR-1 owners, and gurus, from around the world. If that's over, so be it. But whatever the size of attendance if the focus is not on the LT5 and it's package, I'll be much less interested.

For what it's worth, if I show up, I'll be glad to volunteer to record on HD video as many seminars as possible, edit, and provide them free of charge to the registry for the archives.
I think this is important because the seminars of the past have been a vast trove of information and reminiscences from the most important luminaries in ZR-1 history, about the development, and modification of these cars. Most of them have never been recorded, or archived. And that's a shame.

Tony Davila
01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
I know it started out as a pure LT5 ZR-1 event but I also have a 95 LT1 and so does my son who is 25 years old. I have come to realize that the majority of us ZR-1 guys have already modded the cars, paint, performance what have you. Info has been out now for over 20 years.

What is important is to attract the younger folks to the event. Like most young people they are not as well to do as most of us older guys. Most of them generally can afford to buy a regular C4 and then eventually they find themselves into a ZR-1.

The majority of you guys probably also own a L98 or LT1/4, which to me is just as important to the ZR-1 owner. I own an LT1 and don't know very much about it because I focused all my energy on my Z.

I would like a class or discussion like maybe covering an LS swap into a C4, non ZR-1 of course.

Just my two cents.:cheers:

FU
01-10-2014, 03:58 PM
BG is actually a C4 event. A few GS & C4's show up and are welcome.

Now about that LS swap into a ZR1.........

Tony Davila
01-10-2014, 05:04 PM
BG is actually a C4 event. A few GS & C4's show up and are welcome.

Now about that LS swap into a ZR1.........

No LS swap into a ZR-1, just L98/LT-1. That would be Heresy.:nono:

We Gone
01-15-2014, 12:20 PM
All set reservation made, This will be my first time going in over 35 years of owning Corvette's :dancing

WARP TEN
01-16-2014, 12:45 PM
All set reservation made, This will be my first time going in over 35 years of owning Corvette's :dancing
Made my resvervations a few weeks ago. Look forward to meeting you Steve. --Bob

FU
01-16-2014, 06:21 PM
No LS swap into a ZR-1, just L98/LT-1. That would be Heresy.:nono:

I would love to see a LSX swap into a ZR1. Easy 200 + lbs off the nose.

XfireZ51
01-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I would love to see a LSX swap into a ZR1. Easy 200 + lbs off the nose.

Frank,

The hot LSx swap would be into an 84 Xfire w Z51. Lightest C4. Mine weighed
3200lbs. With an LSx down to maybe 3000. And then you have a narrow body for less drag and race suspension w quick steering.

RHanselman
01-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Drag Racing is on!

ZZZZZR1
01-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Drag Racing is on!

Great news Ron!

Paul Workman
01-17-2014, 05:18 AM

What are the chances he will maintain that record through HS?
When he has hair MY color hair and is looking back, what is he going to reflect on more fondly...attendance record through Xth grade, or a trip with Dad to the NCM?

Just askin...(and being a troublemaker!:p)

Paul Workman
01-17-2014, 05:31 AM
Fabulous, Ron! Good work!=D>

Paul Workman
01-17-2014, 05:59 AM
Guys all great ideas however I feel we need to focus on what made The Gathering Great and that’s the people. This is NOT a ZR-1 only event this is the C4 event; hence the name The C4/ZR-1 Gathering. The C4 Corvette is one of the most produced models with something like 360K being produced. If we keep catering to ZR-1 only we will not have much of a Gathering to speak of. The GS group did attend and attendance has dwindled because nothing was offered for them. Now am I saying make The Gathering a GS event? No, what I am saying is make this event for everyone. The C4 Corvette saved the Corvette IMHO and was some of the best years, with the best personalities you could ask for within, around, and involved with Corvette. We need something for everyone the L83’s, L98’s, LT1’s, LT4’s, AND LT5’s. We can still have a great time and involve everyone. The C4 had several special models within its production years and that has not been exploited not to mention all of the tuners. Also LOTS of C4’s were raced; I bet lots of stories revolve around those people. Wouldn’t that be interesting not to mention the personalities and people. There is no reason why The Gathering could not see 200 plus people in attendance with the amount of C4’s produced. We just have to make this The Destination for C4 owners and make it attractive to them.

-Daniel

I agree completely! I'd love to see a bunch of C4 brothers and sisters at the Gathering. Until recently, the NCM stepped up to take an active role in the Gathering, but in the last few years, it has been left to the ZR-1 enthusiasts to carry the ball (more or less alone).

That doesn't mean the Gathering has to offer less ZR-1 items, but rather MORE of what C4 drivers would like to see AND DO. Driving events, e.g., autocross, road trips, etc, and MORE stuff for the wives would like to participate in. Is there any reason NOT to let make the C4 crew on some of the other forums know about the "Dragon's Tail" event?

I like the LSx swap as a topic of interest, especially for the base C4 guys. And, I didn't know 'bout the 84 being the light weight car that it is and Dominic's suggestion to touch on the LSx swap into an L83 car would interest a lot of ppl.

(Ron, I realize I'm cruising dangerously close to being "volunteered" here. But, somehow I don't seem to mind the idea of me getting the word out and stirring some interest in the "nether regions" of C4-dome.:) However, this is YOUR purview, and I respect your right to organize the Gathering as you see it. Just sayin.)

-=Jeff=-
01-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Does not look like I will be there again this year...

XfireZ51
01-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Jeff,

I have to agree w Paul on this. Although I applaud your perspective on Alex's school attendance, it's doing things like a road trip to the museum that really make the difference in a father/son relationship. He's changing from boy to young man and sharing an experience w his dad being w the "rest of the guys"
is as much a part of his education as anything he would get in school. It will be ingrained in him forever. I took my kids to Italy when they were 13 and 11. They went back on their own a couple of years later and have friends there to this day. No substitute for that kind of life experience. Don't think that because it's not a school building that it isn't education. My $.02.
Life moves very quickly.

Blue Flame Restorations
01-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Ron, great job on the Gathering. Just excellent!

-=Jeff=-
01-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Jeff,

I have to agree w Paul on this. Although I applaud your perspective on Alex's school attendance, it's doing things like a road trip to the museum that really make the difference in a father/son relationship. He's changing from boy to young man and sharing an experience w his dad being w the "rest of the guys"
is as much a part of his education as anything he would get in school. It will be ingrained in him forever. I took my kids to Italy when they were 13 and 11. They went back on their own a couple of years later and have friends there to this day. No substitute for that kind of life experience. Don't think that because it's not a school building that it isn't education. My $.02.
Life moves very quickly.

The school part and attendance is now irrelevant.. I am just unable to go then..

I know that he will get education outside of school, no question, remember it is district U-46. Alex is proud of the fact that he has not missed, He is the one that is happy if he gets sick while on a holiday break so he won't miss school.. So it is he choice.

He swims competitively, started this year. We thought that 3 maybe 4 days of the 6 would be fine for practive, he goes 6 days a week, his choice, he is determined and dedicated.

Will he and I go to the museum, Absolutely, I had one tentatively scheduled on my calendar, but it is when we are both able to go.

in April soccer starts, I coach, that runs until June, If Alex joins summer club swimming then there may be a swim meet conflict as well, plus Park district swim starts end of may (I am on the board for that too). So he and I may go but it just may not be during the gathering week, which is okay by me, even if just the 2 of us going and there is no gathering, it still is that father/son bonding

Tripler
01-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Frank,

The hot LSx swap would be into an 84 Xfire w Z51. Lightest C4. Mine weighed
3200lbs. With an LSx down to maybe 3000. And then you have a narrow body for less drag and race suspension w quick steering.

When I drove a C4 in The Escort Endurance Series all the cars took out the fast rack and installed a slow rack steering box . The fast rack made the steering to sensitive at high speeds . Fast rack would work well for parking lot events but not for highspeed tracks :dancing

FU
01-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Drag Racing is on!

Fantastic Ron !!!

Tripler
01-19-2014, 03:20 PM
When will the official schedule for seminars and events be up and running ?

Also any idea as to how much the registration for the ZR-1/C4/BG gathering is going to cost ?. Just curious so as to budget for this event . We've got a room booked at the Holiday Inn under the group rate and I am so looking forward to seeing a large assembly of LT5 beast's just outside the hotel ,,,WooHoo !!! Our jouney to BG is to learn as much as possible about the C4 ZR-1 and it's amazing LT5 before we buy one . Maybe we'll buy one while we are there lol !!! ,,,

Schrade
01-22-2014, 08:05 PM

I agree WHOLEheartedly here. Wrenchfest.

Show n Shine is nice, but form usually FOLLOWS function.

And maybe coding parameters of ECM in depth...

Gunny
01-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Gunny, I look forward to chasing you through the mountains again.

It should be even better this year ... last year I couldn't see well enough to know where I was aiming the Z. Since then I've had eye surgery and now have two new lens implants ... wow, it's really fun to see where I'm driving now. Guess you didn't need to hear you were following a blind guy through the Dragon ;)

The Mountain Run is mapped out and includes a portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway, Diamondback, Six Gaps, Tail of the Dragon, and we'll finish with Devil's Triangle on our way to BG.

George

XfireZ51
01-23-2014, 09:06 AM
I agree WHOLEheartedly here. Wrenchfest.

Show n Shine is nice, but form usually FOLLOWS function.

And maybe coding parameters of ECM in depth...

Chuck,

I have suggested a "primer" session on tuning to Ron, but haven't heard back yet.

Schrade
01-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Chuck,

I have suggested a "primer" session on tuning to Ron, but haven't heard back yet.

Keep after him there Dominic - you got pull...

I'm not even a Member - not likely to be heard (haven't even made reservations yet).

RHanselman
02-08-2014, 11:56 AM
OK guys...

This years event is a little different. The NCM is hosting and we are working with other outside our Registry... The agenda is about 90% complete and we're tying up the loose ends this week.

The important items have been publicized: Everyone knows the dates (14-18 May) and everyone can make reservations under our block of rooms at the Holliday Inn U plaza. BTW - rooms are getting short for Wed evening so hurry and get your rooms if you haven't. Also, the Government rate is better so use it if you can. This may save some of our blocked rooms for others... Wednesday will still be a challenge if you don't hurry!

The ancillary information in the agenda will be posted soonest (It will be reviewed by the Board of Directors on the 12th of Feb) and Registration via the NCM website will be open within a week to two weeks.

This year in shaping up to be a great event with Drag Racing, Auto Cross, Car Show, Cruises, Tech Sessions, Board Meeting, Membership Meeting, BBQ's, Pizza and Beverages, Mountain Run, Vendor's area, C4 Merchandise, special Displays, Awards Banquet and much much more.

Mystic ZR-1
02-08-2014, 01:27 PM
You weren't kidding!
All they had left 10 minutes ago (Saturday 2/8)
at BG HI U Plaza is king bed with fold out couch rooms.

Steve: we'll flip a coin to see who gets the foldout...

Mountain Run 2 still has rooms at all 3 locations.
5 had already made reservations!

vandornjim
04-15-2014, 02:47 PM

I am all with Frank. Drag racing if possible, auto X and party at JVD's. Let's support JVDs and not split the group.
--Bob

When I look back at one of the first Gatherings after we made the move from California. I remember the many old friends came over to see us and it was great to once again meet those who were separated by great distances. During the good ‘ol days we met people from all over we went to Carlisle with or the many races we participated in with Pirate Racing. Well, we couldn’t get rid of a few and ended up cooking a steak or two, and they liked it enough some ate 2 and even 3 steaks! So, every year afterwards we were “forced” to cook for our annual visitors. J Well, one year we decided to cook for the group if anyone was interested and the turnout was incredible. It took a lot of work, an auto shop is not a usual place for a cookout . Having people walk around the equipment, stepping over things is not a good idea so a complete “safetyizing” took a few days. A day or two of cleanup wasn’t too much of a problem because early arrivals came over and grabbed a rag or mop and went at it. It is always fun watching people get involved.
:)
Well, over the next few years we had a blast! If someone needed help, we made it a “seminar” and allowed people to get right up front and personal as we fixed whatever problems they had. We came up with the famous “Bow Tie Burger”, using a Slim Jim formed into a Chevy emblem shape as a mold. We did some smoked meats and ribs, pepper & potatoes, and whatever else we could think of, and we never got tired of the compliments on the food. We had lots of locals who volunteered their help and who were darn good at what they did. And it showed.

One year I had a broken ankle but I couldn’t help it. I’m paying for that now but it didn’t matter because of what you folks said. One guy came up and asked how I cooked that BT Burger. He said it was the best hamburger he’d ever had. Really!? (Just good meat, plenty of garlic pepper and don’t squeeze the juice out of it!). One time a guy came up to me later and apologized for coming back for fourths of our smoked Boston butt! I guess the ultimate compliment was how many of you came up and said our BBQ was the highlight of your visit to the Bowling Green event. I never dreamed we could actually put on a complete dinner and presentation in this little place for over 200, but that’s what we did in 2010. People were eating off the forklift! But this popularity also made someone very jealous....
:(
At some point, we were approached by the Registry’s (then) leadership and asked if we would officially make our BBQ part of the ZR-1 Net Registry’s schedule. We were again told it was one of the highlights of the Gathering and they would really like to offer their assistance and even offered $300 to help out. Well, in case anyone needs to know, the BBQ had costs of approx. $2,000 depending on attendance, drink, employee wages, loss of revenue, table & chairs rental, and of course the food. (We don’t serve Chicken Masala) J Ironically, the rental of the tables and chairs alone was about $300 so we accepted the Registry’s donation. We also asked that in the future, we would appreciate putting us on the Registry’s registration form so we could get a more accurate count.

The night before the 2012 BBQ, the Registry Events Director gave us a number of 50-60 and said that the Gathering attendance was really down and not to expect much more. So, we decided to cook for 80, then 120 showed up. Many of our guests that had RSVP’d, made donations, etc., didn’t get a plate. Worse yet, some of the un-registered walk-ins went for seconds before others even got their first. We were blamed immediately and I didn’t see any real need to tell what really happened…until now. That really pissed me off.

Under new management, it was also voted not to contribute to a “vendor’s” event, and at last year’s gathering, some of the leadership group pitted against our BBQ for whatever reason(s) and were obviously absent. This year it looks like more of the same on the current schedule. Now please understand, it’s not like we couldn’t continue to host all of you here for your annual trek to Bowling Green but I said long ago, once you take the fun out of something, well, it ain’t fun anymore.

Many of our friends do not attend the Gathering anymore for their own reasons, but I’ll bet the loss of the fun factor is a major reason for their decision. We did this for you and we hope you enjoyed the company. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the scheduled “Parking Lot BBQ” just as well. :-)

(Just note: We don't consider ourselves a "vendor" and never have. We offer a safe haven when away from home when the unexpected happens. Many of you have enjoyed the use of our tools, equipment, knowledge and hopefully our hospitality. I consider us a participant in the ZR-1 hobby and will continue to be in whatever capacity that is positive and productive.)

I do sincerely want to say how much we truly enjoyed hosting you all when you visited Bowling Green in these years past. We made a lot of friends and helped a few of you get your ZR-1’s fixed or had other stuff done while you were here. In some cases we did those things for a drink at the banquet or a donation to the NCM. We helped some needy people, and some very appreciative troops in Harm’s Way. Your contributions made it possible for us to send some comfort and support to some very appreciative troops. I thank you and they Thank You!

BTW. Army First Sgt Eric Egelstad is still on this list and is teaching officer candidates in WA and Donna retired from the Army not long ago. Eric still remembers his guys anxiously greeting him when he returned from patrol and the mail had been delivered (by the Air Force of course). J Me? I’ll never forget the look on all of your moist eyes when we did the surprise video slide show and ended it with a voicemail from Eric to his family who were in attendance and completely stunned. Remember when his daughter, little Jordyn, yelled out “IS THAT MY DADDY!?!?” Yeah, it got to me too….
:cry:
Those are real moments folks. Real moments that some remember for their lifetimes. Moments that are real, not imagined by someone’s ego or imagination.
:fahne:
AND WE ARE STILL HERE FOR YOU! Maybe we just don’t have to let Strowbridge clean the shop for 2 days. Maybe we can get some work done! J If you need something done, we can handle that too. Or, if you any other ideas just let us know! J

Rex Ruby
04-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Ashame BS gets in the way.
Going to miss the JVD BBQ this time.
JVD I'm sure the membership would have paid per head to attend to cover your costs.