PDA

View Full Version : New member with new to me Z

ctbandhmb
08-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Hello all I just joined the forum and wanted to share the newest member of my family. Just picked up a 90 Z with 27k on the clock. Haven't even gotten to plates yet! I cant remember a more fun car to drive. It was a 1 owner car prior to me and is mostly stock however it does have a 4.10 rear end and a B&B cat back. I didnt see any info on the wheels in the paperwork however they appear to be CCW Classics. The rears are 335. I also suspect there is some type of chip in it because the CAGS does not engage and there is no light either. The CAGS is easy to defeat but my understanding is that the only way to stop the 1-4 shift light is through a chip. It seems to run like a monster however there are a couple of concerns that I am going to document and post in the tech forum.

Also, the prior owner was defintely a member of the registry. There were a bunch of ZR1 Registry stickers in the window ranging from about 99 - 08 or something like that. The guy lived in Michigan and I picked it up from a dealership in Jackson MI. Thanks!

1990 ZR1 New to Me!!! (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102195088726544076641/albums/5917743921660158129)

I also have a 95 LT1..... it is currently for sale....
1995 LT1 (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102195088726544076641/albums/5917738800077459953)

ScottZ95ZR1
08-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Beautiful car - welcome to the club and forum, Chris! :cheers:

Lots of knowledgeable guys here to help you sort those issues out.
Unfortunately for me, I'm not one of them - but you are definitely in the right place!

We Gone
08-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Congrats and Welcome. :cheers:

SteelBlueZR1
08-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Congrats on a beauty Z and great wheels to boot. Welcome to ZR1 Net Registry - the best group of car enthusiasts ever. When you become a member, you can view the registry and identify owner(s) by last 4 of vin in members only section: http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Information/HowtoJoin.aspx

scottfab
08-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Hello all I just joined the forum and wanted to share the newest member of my family. Just picked up a 90 Z with 27k on the clock. Haven't even gotten to plates yet! I cant remember a more fun car to drive. It was a 1 owner car prior to me and is mostly stock however it does have a 4.10 rear end and a B&B cat back. I didnt see any info on the wheels in the paperwork however they appear to be CCW Classics. The rears are 335. I also suspect there is some type of chip in it because the CAGS does not engage and there is no light either. The CAGS is easy to defeat but my understanding is that the only way to stop the 1-4 shift light is through a chip. It seems to run like a monster however there are a couple of concerns that I am going to document and post in the tech forum.

Also, the prior owner was defintely a member of the registry. There were a bunch of ZR1 Registry stickers in the window ranging from about 99 - 08 or something like that. The guy lived in Michigan and I picked it up from a dealership in Jackson MI. Thanks!

1990 ZR1 New to Me!!! (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102195088726544076641/albums/5917743921660158129)

I also have a 95 LT1..... it is currently for sale....
1995 LT1 (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102195088726544076641/albums/5917738800077459953)

What a great intro. Welcome to the group.
I like how you're doing your homework on what's what in the car. That's a great starting point. Many cars can get hacked up so much that you can't tell what's what and I feel for anyone buying one of these free spirited but undocumented highly modified cars. It creates a marvelous challenge for maintenance. Sounds like yours may be moderately modded. Hope it came with a set of manuals or what you'll see referred to as FSM here in the forum. If so perhaps the previous owner documented mods or had the mechanic do so.

You may want to take a look at this list of acronyms. They get used a lot here. Look to post #1 of this thread:
http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19226&highlight=acronym&page=3

FU
08-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Nice ! And welcome :cheers:

Kevin
08-30-2013, 11:10 AM
welcome tot he group. seems we're only about an hour away from each other

ctbandhmb
08-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I will say that I have had the opportunity to drive a variety of cars and though it isn't the flat out most powerful car I have driven (that would be my brother-in-laws built 03 Cobra that dynoed at 600+ rwhp), there is something just flat out exciting about driving the Z that I cant put my finger on.

My first project with it will be to break out the dual action polisher and work on the paint. There is some very evident swirling that I believe should clean up really nicely.

Kevin, you are correct we are less than an hour away. I actually work up in Cranberry when I have to go into the office and when my wife and I get away from the kids for an evening we normally head up to Robinson. I would love to meet up sometime if you would be up for that.

Kevin
08-30-2013, 12:13 PM
sounds great to me. i'm always up for a little z talk. I don't know if you do the whole cars and coffee thing but the pittsburgh one meets in warrandale. let me know when you're down this way next and we'll figure out a place to meet up

ZZZZZR1
08-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Congrats!!!!!

Sounds like you have a great car!!!

:cheers:

David

Dynomite
08-30-2013, 04:04 PM

Hi:
Nice ZR-1. And even nicer being Red on Red :thumbsup:
It appears the inlet Air Temp is modified a bit (with the Air Box also modified) and you do have after market Oil Cooler lines. But neither of those really qualify as a Documented Performance Modification :p

Change all the Fluids so you know where you are starting from as the first step :cheers:

I am much more concerned about undocumented maintenance and that is why I always start with complete fluid change with the proper fluids.

The Signature in this post consists of Fully Documented Performance Modifications accomplished by a Free Spirit with a great set of tools ;)

If you are not that free of a spirit the signature also contains complete Maintenance Information for those who want to start fresh on maintaining a New (Old Stock) ZR-1.

scottfab
08-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I will say that I have had the opportunity to drive a variety of cars and though it isn't the flat out most powerful car I have driven (that would be my brother-in-laws built 03 Cobra that dynoed at 600+ rwhp), there is something just flat out exciting about driving the Z that I cant put my finger on.

Try driving something like this below. It's a well documented car and all mods would be supportable. I was fortunate enough to see this car at Bowling Green a few years back and got some great pictures of the engine. Very well done. There was no "rattle can" approach to the paint on that engine. :dancing and it hammers out 850hp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSobioRXb_s

My first project with it will be to break out the dual action polisher and work on the paint. There is some very evident swirling that I believe should clean up really nicely.

Do NOT be tempted to wash the motor at all until you read up on it.
That can lead to big trouble.

There are plenty of threads on ways to spruce up your car. I notice you have a nice paved driveway so you don't have to worry about gravel or driving on dirt much. That's always nice to avoid. Think of all that dirt getting all over everything.

Here is another resource for info on the car in case you didn't know.
On that page look for INFORMATION and TECHNET for info on repairing the car.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Home.aspx

...snip...

alnukem
08-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Great looking car! I am in between you & Kevin...I live in Freedom, Pa & work in Rochester. Please let me know when you guys meet up, I did not know this cars & coffee thing existed. The thing I like about my ZR-1 is, it's "Rawer" than a C5Z06, but doesn't feel like a antique C3 (I dig on that feel too!) Get plates on it before it gets crappy outside! Tim

Kevin
08-31-2013, 10:48 PM
Great looking car! I am in between you & Kevin...I live in Freedom, Pa & work in Rochester. Please let me know when you guys meet up, I did not know this cars & coffee thing existed. The thing I like about my ZR-1 is, it's "Rawer" than a C5Z06, but doesn't feel like a antique C3 (I dig on that feel too!) Get plates on it before it gets crappy outside! Tim

Tim,
Cars and coffee should be next weekend. Check out pghcnc.com to make sure. When I find out ill send you a pm and we can meet up.

alnukem
08-31-2013, 11:13 PM
Tim,
Cars and coffee should be next weekend. Check out pghcnc.com to make sure. When I find out ill send you a pm and we can meet up.

Hey Kev, I just checked, it is this Saturday AM..... Saturday Morning is tough for me, I work 9-4, but, if I could pull it off @ 9AM, then head to work from there. Let me know.