PDA

View Full Version : Getting Overspray Off?

Racinfan83
08-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Thoroughly cleaned and waxed the car yesterday, getting ready for two shows this weekend. It has some white paint overspray on the hood and front bumper. You can get some off with a fingernail, but that leaves fine scratches in an otherwise mirror finish. Stuff does not rub off easily at all. I don't have a buffer or anything like that. Don't want to mess up the mirror finish I have - but the white overspray on black paint bugs the heck outta me. Ideas?

Kevin
08-20-2013, 11:51 AM
clay bar

FU
08-20-2013, 12:24 PM
clay bar

Racinfan83
08-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Ok thanks!!! I never tried one of those - but was wondering if it would work....

oricale
08-20-2013, 04:00 PM
X3.....I had a ton of red overspray on my white '91 and I clay bar'd and waxed the while car..worked great!..:fahne:

Racinfan83
08-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Well I picked up a Meguiars Clay bar kit on the way home today and tried it out. Got a lot of the spots off. Not all - but most. Considering I had never used a clay bar before - and really had no clue what to do with it other then reading the directions on the box - not too bad. I'm thinkin I kinda screwed myself when I waxed over the overspray with poly wax on Monday. :confused:
I used the spray detailer that came in the kit for lube. Is the clay supposed to move freely over the surface like on ice (super wet) - or should it be a bit "sticky" in order to work the best? It got NO black residue on the clay - so I assume the finish is really good - or did I do something wrong? I only did the hood where the worst of it was - after all the cleaning/waxing I've done the last week my hands and arms are SHOT...:cry:
Any hints for next time would be appreciated....

Kevin
08-21-2013, 09:22 PM
super wet, if it's stickey it's grabbing the paint and will mar it. i can try to find a detailer around you area if you tell us where you live

Racinfan83
08-22-2013, 07:20 AM
I live in St Charles County, about 25 miles West of St Louis, Mo. Zip here is 63376. Thanks!

FU
08-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Wash the car well with dish soap.....yes Dawn etc. Leave the car wet. With another bucket of very soapy water clay bar the overspray area's clean. You will know when all the overspray etc. are out. The clay bar will glide easily across the paint. Wash again with car wash soap dry and then start your wax regimen. It's an easy process really. Don't worry you won't screw up anything. Just make sure the clay bar is lubed well.

randy ransome
08-22-2013, 10:47 AM
This my sound unbelievable but you can also use lacquer thinner on a rag.

It won't hurt factory paint as long as you just wipe then clean it off.

I've used it hundreds of times.

RICHARD TILL
08-23-2013, 08:27 PM
X 2 on the lacquer thinner. It won`t hurt clear coat paint at all. Don`t let it get on any plastic lenses or the clear roof. Bout 5 years ago i was at a Hot Springs motel and they were painting the other end of it from where i was parked. About a week later when i was washing, i felt an overspray. I was nearly having to ride a buffer with compound to do any good. I wiped every painted surface and the windows with lacquer thinner. Then washed twice with Dawn dishwash, buffed again, then polished. Turned out fine and i cussed those painters from 300 miles away.

Schrade
02-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Usually, overspray spots weren't prepped for good bonding. Try polishing compound...

Racinfan83
02-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I got most of it off with clay bar. I think the rest will come off with another clay bar treatment. When I get her out of hibernation I will go over it again. I have some real fine scratches I want polished out of it too so when I get that all done it should be all good...

RedRiderZR1
12-31-2014, 07:14 PM
I have some over spray on mine as well. Lacquer Thinner I know about. Never thought of clay bar. Good to know.