PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found at the Monterey Historics this weekend.

Z51JEFF
08-18-2013, 06:48 PM
1989 Pre-production ZR-1 #3.I talked to one of the G.M. reps about letting me get some pictures of the motor but the guy was about as enthusiastic as a lawnmower salesman,could have cared less about being there.The guy wanted to know what was the big deal about the car so I tell him about the early cars,no dice on the motor shots.The funny thing was,after I walked away from the car the guy slowly walks over to the car and reads the placard next to the car.Dont know why I didnt get any side porfile shots,might have been I was too busy pissing myself.This makes 2 pre production cars Ive seen,this and the 24 hour record car.http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/FLYTYM/DSCN0047_zpsc75c4e2c.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/FLYTYM/DSCN0048_zpsb173def6.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/FLYTYM/DSCN0045_zps76072767.jpg

scottfab
08-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Pretty cool. A pre production that was not scrapped from the crushed bottom of the barrel cars !!!

PhillipsLT5
08-18-2013, 09:36 PM
This info most likely belongs in the prototype section

Kevin
08-18-2013, 09:39 PM
did it have 89 or 90 wheels on it? looks like it was a pilot car, one that could have been given out for road tests since it has ZR-1 on the back

tomtom72
08-20-2013, 08:20 AM
:sign10: He probably had to go read the "placard" to find out what a ZR-1 was/is. To him it was probably just some old C4! :sign10:

Thanks for sharing the photos Jeff!:thumbsup:

Z51JEFF
08-20-2013, 12:39 PM
did it have 89 or 90 wheels on it? looks like it was a pilot car, one that could have been given out for road tests since it has ZR-1 on the back

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/FLYTYM/DSCN0049_zpsca4b5eff.jpg89 wheels,I wanted to get the miles but the car was covered in mist,I took my chances clearing the windshield to get a look at the VIN,unless there was somebody standing right there nothing was going to keep me from seeing what number car it was.

Blue Flame Restorations
08-24-2013, 10:07 AM
That car resides at the GM Heritage Museum

Vetman
09-18-2013, 01:02 PM
What number ended the pre production cars?

rockerarm
11-24-2014, 02:37 PM
1989 Pre-production ZR-1 #3.IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/FLYTYM/DSCN0047_zpsc75c4e2c.jpg[/IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/FLYTYM/DSCN0048_zpsb173def6.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/FLYTYM/DSCN0045_zps76072767.jpg

Hello, new guy here.

I remember this car. In 1987-88 I worked for a tech writing company in Southfield Mi that contracted to GM to do tech service procedure development and produce factory service manuals, bulletins and labor time studies. I was the machanic.

We developed approx 25 or 30 of the engine and powertrain service procedures on the ZR1 platform. This was the car we used to do that.
I worked on this car for almost a year and a half, dissembling, reassembling procedures like water pump, exhaust manifold, transmission, and several engine componant procedures.
We also did all the labor time studies for the flat rate schedule on this car.

What a surprise to see it, I figured it had been destroyed long ago.

An interesting fact....... the first five protoypes were badged with an "LT5" emblem on the rear facia where the ZR1 badge is.
On day a GM rep came in and I had to remove the LT5 badge from the car. I had thoughts of keeping it but he insisted he had to take it back with him..... Some sort of legal issue. I do have a picture of it still on the car though.
Will.

Dynomite
11-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Hello, new guy here.

I remember this car. In 1987-88 I worked for a tech writing company in Southfield Mi that contracted to GM to do tech service procedure development and produce factory service manuals, bulletins and labor time studies. I was the machanic.

We developed approx 25 or 30 of the engine and powertrain service procedures on the ZR1 platform. This was the car we used to do that.
I worked on this car for almost a year and a half, dissembling, reassembling procedures like water pump, exhaust manifold, transmission, and several engine componant procedures.
We also did all the labor time studies for the flat rate schedule on this car.

What a surprise to see it, I figured it had been destroyed long ago.

An interesting fact....... the first five protoypes were badged with an "LT5" emblem on the rear facia where the ZR1 badge is.
On day a GM rep came in and I had to remove the LT5 badge from the car. I had thoughts of keeping it but he insisted he had to tack it back with him..... Some sort of legal issue. I do have a picture of it still on the car though.

Welcome.....Very Interesting the Service Procedures Development :thumbsup:
Actually....that job sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of which some of us continue to do even today ;)

ghlkal
11-24-2014, 08:12 PM

Welcome Will.

I agree with Cliff, that job sounds like a lot of fun ... :)

rockerarm
11-25-2014, 12:45 AM
Thanks guys,
It was a fun job. We also had the prototype 1986 coupe with the 1st ZR1/LT5 conversion on it. It had a phase I engine and ran like a scalded rabbit. With the standard width 86 body the tires protruded from the openings and it looked like a hot rod.

It was also interesting driving "either of them" around the streets of Southfield and Dearborn. This red car drew a lot of attention. In 88 most folks had only heard about the ZR1.

I'll dig up some pictures from that time and post them sometime soon.

Will.

GOLDCYLON
11-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Welcome aboard Will. If you do please post them up. GC :handshak:

RyanChappel
11-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Especially the peek into the inner sanctum of how the automobile industry worked, 'back in the day'. Please share more....

rockerarm
11-25-2014, 01:14 PM
[B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][QUOTE]The company was a automotive technical service company that was contracted by GM, and I contracted my services as a protoype mechanic to them.

The primary object was to develope service procedures from scratch and translate them to a segmented procedure to be converted to a service manual. It included development of many of the special tools needed for spicific procedures, so I got to work closely with a Kent Moore rep also.
Once a procedure was developed and approved by GM, we would then establish the labor times based on the procedure.
It was very interesting and I had access to the Milford Mich advance product facilities. I attended many advance product seminars there. We also developed many procedures and time studies for Cadillac and Pontiac ..... (remember the Fiero's), fun little cars.

Heres a couple pictures I dug up..................[/ This is the red 0003 VIN car..... norice the "LT5" emblem on the rear facia.

GOLDCYLON
11-25-2014, 02:42 PM
[B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][QUOTE]The company was a automotive technical service company that was contracted by GM, and I contracted my services as a protoype mechanic to them.

The primary object was to develope service procedures from scratch and translate them to a segmented procedure to be converted to a service manual. It included development of many of the special tools needed for spicific procedures, so I got to work closely with a Kent Moore rep also.
Once a procedure was developed and approved by GM, we would then establish the labor times based on the procedure.
It was very interesting and I had access to the Milford Mich advance product facilities. I attended many advance product seminars there. We also developed many procedures and time studies for Cadillac and Pontiac ..... (remember the Fiero's), fun little cars.

Heres a couple pictures I dug up..................[/ This is the red 0003 VIN car..... norice the "LT5" emblem on the rear facia.

Very kueal

Blue Flame Restorations
11-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Neat stuff!

FU
11-26-2014, 03:39 PM
We love to hear history related to these cars . Thanks' !

ZR1North
12-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks for this, Will. Love to have you come talk to us at an event this year - The Gathering in Bowling Green, Back to the Bricks in Flint, Carlisle...

rockerarm
12-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks for this, Will. Love to have you come talk to us at an event this year - The Gathering in Bowling Green, Back to the Bricks in Flint, Carlisle...

That might be interesting. I have a long standing desire to visit the Corvette museum in Bowling Green. Something to think about.

What would be the dates of your meet there....?

Will.

ZR1North
12-21-2014, 06:02 PM
That might be interesting. I have a long standing desire to visit the Corvette museum in Bowling Green. Something to think about.

What would be the dates of your meet there....?

Will.

For 2015, it's May 13-16. If your time is limited, I expect the 14-16 will be most engaging. The Gathering should be extra special this year with it being the 25th anniversary of the ZR-1.

rockerarm
02-02-2015, 06:40 PM
For 2015, it's May 13-16. If your time is limited, I expect the 14-16 will be most engaging. The Gathering should be extra special this year with it being the 25th anniversary of the ZR-1.

As much fun as that should be it's a conflicting date for me.

For what it's worth, I have a collection of documents, manuals, photos and even a VHS video tape from 1987-88 all pertaining to the development of the ZR1 from the period I was involved. I would be willing to offer the items to anyone who is interested.

Although I was so involved in the program, I am not really a enthusiast about the ZR1, or Corvettes in general. This material would better serve your community then stored in my closet.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Will. rockerarm@juno.com (rockerarm@juno.com)

Z51JEFF
02-02-2015, 06:43 PM

For what it's worth, I have a collection of documents, manuals, photos and even a VHS video tape from 1987-88 all pertaining to the development of the ZR1 from the period I was involved. I would be willing to offer the items to anyone who is interested.

Although I was so involved in the program, I am not really a enthusiast about the ZR1, or Corvettes in general. This material would better serve your community then stored in my closet.

Will. rockerarm@juno.com (rockerarm@juno.com)
I would be interested in anything you might have.

Tyler Townsley
02-02-2015, 08:00 PM

Will.rockerarm@juno.com (Will.rockerarm@juno.com)

Definitely. It would be posted here:

http://thepandatrap.com/gallery/ZR-1s

The EX5014 88 King of the Hill car in these shots is mine.

Tyler

Call 863-428-1410 or email me tyler@townsley.com

Tyler