PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! NEED 91 ZR1 EXHAUST RESONATOR

BROOMRIDER1991ZR1
08-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Hello..I am new to the Forum and the ZR1 world. I have a set of Power Effects Exhaust on my ZR1 and the resonator is missing. This is one loud car. I would like to tone it down and have the proper back pressure as well. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Aurora40
08-26-2006, 12:21 PM
I'd suggest looking at a '93-95 LT5 resonator, or an LT1 or LT4 resonator. The LT1/4 will be easier to find. All of them are wider than the '90 - '92 resonator.

My '90 res (which is in the trash somewhere, sorry):
http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/exhaust/90res.jpg

'96 LT4 res:
http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/exhaust/lt4.jpg

BROOMRIDER1991ZR1
08-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Sgreg
08-26-2006, 06:48 PM
I hate to rain on anybody's thread but I kind of doubt any resonator will quiet down that exhaust much. The resonator is designed as a straight through pipe with baffles and will only absorb a little of the sound. That's primarily the job of the mufflers which are in place and pretty noisy.

blackjack
08-26-2006, 10:39 PM
i never quite understood the exact job of the resonator.....since it doesnt muffle much anyway...i have a borla system,and i removed that resonator...put in an x pipe....the sound did not seem to change much,although i felt an improvement with the power...maybe because i removed a couple of restrictions in the borla system...as per al rondeau's suggestion...too bad i threw the resonator away...
blackjack

Z Factor
08-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Hello..I am new to the Forum and the ZR1 world. I have a set of Power Effects Exhaust on my ZR1 and the resonator is missing. This is one loud car. I would like to tone it down and have the proper back pressure as well. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum.:handshak:

Do you have stock manifolds/cats or are you running headers, no cats, etc.?

:cheers:

evl_twn
08-27-2006, 04:07 PM
i never quite understood the exact job of the resonator.....since it doesnt muffle much anyway...i have a borla system,and i removed that resonator...put in an x pipe....the sound did not seem to change much,although i felt an improvement with the power...maybe because i removed a couple of restrictions in the borla system...as per al rondeau's suggestion...too bad i threw the resonator away...
blackjack

My car is basically stock except DRM chip, open airbox with K&N, and the Borla cat back. I'd like to try the same thing with mine. Do you have more info on this? What brand X pipe, where did you get it, or did you have one custom made? I also have a Borla pipe on mine, and I was talking to Marc Haibeck about the car and he told me the Borla can actually decrease power from stock. I was looking at the info on his website and saw that there was pretty much no restriction at all on the 93-95 stock resonator when he measured the pressure drop in different stages along the exhaust on a car he was testing. If I still have the stock exhaust I'd probably try to put it back on the car and try different mufflers, but I did not get the original exhaust with the car.

Aurora40
08-27-2006, 07:23 PM
blackjack
Well, it's still pipe with glasspacking. That's all some mufflers are. Since they are perforated pipes into the same packing, it would also serve as a crossover to a degree, as it connects both sides. I imagine a car with no resonator would be louder than one with one. My car currently has the LT4 resonator and straight-through mufflers, I'm sure it's quieter than if it was all straight pipe with nothing. :)

BROOMRIDER1991ZR1
08-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I was at Carlisle today and had a Bassani tech look at my Z and he suggested an X pipe and they could custom make for a reasonable price. I am going to think it over and hopefully get somemore feedback for the forum. I was excited to sign up as a new member of the site as well. :handshak: