PDA

View Full Version : ZR-1 Purchasing Advice

thxalot
06-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Hello ZR-1 fanatics,

I am considering the opportunity to join your illustrious ranks, but would like some of your advice first.

Although new to the forums here, I am an old Vette fan who loved the C4 when it first came out. I remember hanging the 4 page C&D foldout on my wall as a kid. Now a friend of a friend is selling a '90 ZR-1 with 28k and red on red coloring. No mods. One accident - low speed truck hit the Vette's door when making a left turn from a stop. Both tops. Supposedly runs well and looks good, but it's across the country, so I won't get to see it.

The owner wants $22k delivered to CA, or $20k if I make my own arrangements. I don't relish the $1-2k cost of transporting it and could drive it, but that's putting a quick 3000 miles on this baby. I also don't care for red. I would much rather have a more subtle color. I'll take dash over flash every day.

My wife is ready to kill me, but has relented to giving up $15k and I think I can talk her into $18. Now for the questions:

Have any of you brought a ZR-1 into California? What's involved in passing smog? or registering it?

Should I drive it or truck it? How much is the 3k miles worth?

What do you think of the price? I've been doing a lot of research. KBB is $17.8-$21k depending on how you get it (I prefer wholesale ;-). ZR-1's on Ebay almost never reach their reserve price. When they do it's usually for a price below blue book. NADA prices are similar to KBB, and the few other ZR-1 owners I've contacted, who are looking to sell, tell me it is very definitely a buyers market.

What can I expect to pay for insurance and up keep? This will be a 3rd car (making the $$ justification tougher) and not a daily driver. I'll probably drive ~3000 miles a year and only when the sun is out.
Lastly, the baited question . . .

A friend ('71 350 drop-top) suggests skipping the ZR-1 and putting the same money into an older C5. "Almost just as fast, better appointments, more comfortable, more space, nicer ride," etc. etc. he says. What do you guys think? Which is the better car and why?

Sorry for running on a bit. This is a sizeable chunk of change to spend on a toy, and I want to have my ducks in a row. But in the end, what a great toy to have, right ?!?

Thanks for any help and advice,

-Burt

Z Factor
06-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Hello Burt, and welcome to the forum.

I only have a moment so I will be brief for now.

The price isn't bad although the accident sends up a red flag. You should have it checked out by a vette person who knows what to look for. If the KOTH is near a fellow forum member, they would probably be willing to check it out for you.

I wasn't a big fan of red either, but it has grown on me since getting my Z 1 1/2 years ago. I flew out to CA and drove mine back cross country with fewer miles than the one you are interested in. I loved every minute of it, and got to open it up on rural roads. Life does begin at 180mph. ;)

It is certainly a buyers market, so offer low, and see what he is willing to take(just not insulting low because we ZR-1 owners have a lot of pride in our cars).

You can get insurance pretty low if it is not a daily driver and upkeep is not expensive considering it is a vette.

As to your "baited question", it is very easy to answer. While C-5's are nice, they are not unique like the ZR-1. If you are only interested in speed, then mod a Supra with the bottle and have fun. However, if you want a Vette that still turns heads both from the outside, as well as when you open the hood, then a ZR-1 might be the vette for you. The King Of The Hill has stood as a benchmark for American Sports Cars, and is still one of the fastest production cars, period. The great thing is that you can now get one at a great price, as opposed to the people that shelled out 60k-70k when they were new.

Good luck, and I hope to hear that you have joined the ranks of ZR-1 owners soon.

WB9MCW
06-06-2004, 02:07 AM
here is a link to your same ? u posted in cf and my answer.... heart of the beast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

read "heart of the beast" then u will understand why we zr-1ers are so passionate abt the zr-1. she is a true racer the lt5 is in my view the best ever engine out in an amer.car bar none...a true race motor...none other incld. the ls2 comes close....factoid..the lt5 can rev. out to 10,000 rpm if it were not 4 the access. limiting the rev's to 7500!!! this is why she was the "darkhorse" of the chev. brass.. an english motor design built by a motorboat engine co. with a german tranny....only the body/frame was chev...a bit of an embar.. for chev. brass... the king of the hill---international sportscar they they could not build themselves....till now the c-6 and still it uses "stinkin pushrod tech."!!! Then a fellow named Brett made a comment and I answered with...
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50098&page=2&pp=15 :pc:

thxalot
06-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't think you can get a Supra that will go 170MPH for $20k. As far as I can tell, it's almost impossible to beat the ZR-1 right now in the $$$/HP category. Granted nitrous is cheap horsepower, but it runs so hot, you will seriously compromise the internals. No sale!

What should I look for, with regards to the accident? The owner faxed me all the receipts including the body shop's. Doesn't really look too bad.

-Burt

WB9MCW
06-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Burt, If the photo's of the accident do not look to bad then I would not worry too much! I would check it out before I took receipt of the car or if doing a shipment deal put in a clause that inspection is part of the sale. That way if is was a burn you would still have a recourse. If the owner balks at any of these suggestions I would run, :!: not walk away!!! gud luck!!