PDA

View Full Version : How about fine scratches and swirl marks?

GTOger
05-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Being that the car is 23 years old and has been driven as a "real car" (not a fully functioning 1:1 scale model), we've accumulated our share of little scratches, swirls and the like.

The shine is fine. Nothing is (visibly) faded and the clear coat is well intact.

I've seen / heard about the color-matching polishes and so forth, but never used one.

So now... let your wisdom flow forth upon me. :)

Mystic ZR-1
05-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Get yourself a Porter-Cable buffer, some Adams products and have at it!

efnfast
05-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Like Doug said.

For small chips, "Dr. Color Chip" - better than touch up paint.

Paul Workman
07-21-2013, 03:25 PM
I like the nano technology of the Zaino stuff, so PC Fusion and buffer, coupled with a pitch dark garage and a light bulb to check the finish for swirls, etc, worked good, and didn't require more than an afternoon's worth of effort (on mine). YMMV.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x220/6PPC_bucket/Vettes/10-17-10008.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/6PPC_bucket/media/Vettes/10-17-10008.jpg.html)

The Porter Cable 7424 orbital buffer makes it almost impossible to burn the paint or an edge, as doe the very gentle PC Fusion stuff from Zaino.

Kevin
07-21-2013, 05:01 PM
I can't tell you how jealous i am that you live in Dallas and can use http://www.scottwax.com/ he's the absolute best and wish I could get him to come to do my cars.

zanio is re-branded duragloss if you want to save yourself some money

FU
07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Check this link out. Worked fantastic.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-958-adams-basic-microfiber-machine-polishing-kit.aspx

Tripler
08-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Have any of your ever tried Collonite Car Wax ? . A friend of mine uses it and he said a house fly slid off the car as it was that slippery . I used it on my 2003 Kawaksi Concours . Rode in the rain recently and the rain drops were barely visible on my gas tank . Can't wait to get a ZR1 next spring and try this wax on it .

Hammer
08-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Have any of your ever tried Collonite Car Wax ? . A friend of mine uses it and he said a house fly slid off the car as it was that slippery . I used it on my 2003 Kawaksi Concours . Rode in the rain recently and the rain drops were barely visible on my gas tank . Can't wait to get a ZR1 next spring and try this wax on it .

Which one did you use? Is it one step and done?

Tripler
08-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Which one did you use? Is it one step and done?

http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/insulator-wax/

Just the one step . They do have other products from what I see on there web site .

TomZR1
02-22-2014, 10:01 PM
zaino is the best,blows adams away the shine of zaino is unbeleivable the pc fusion takes swirles wright out folowed by z-5 then z-2 o my goodness:-D

Konrad
02-23-2014, 04:53 PM
collnite insulatowa wax is the best :)

scottfab
02-24-2014, 11:57 AM
zaino is the best,blows adams away the shine of zaino is unbeleivable the pc fusion takes swirles wright out folowed by z-5 then z-2 o my goodness:-D

I agree nothing even comes close to zaino and I have tried many

Kevin
02-24-2014, 06:17 PM
In the discussions i've had with pro detailers, no zanio isn't even close to the best. But as long as you like it, keep using it. If you want to save yourself some money, buy duragloss, it's the same stuff

scottfab
02-24-2014, 07:14 PM
In the discussions i've had with pro detailers, no zanio isn't even close to the best. But as long as you like it, keep using it. If you want to save yourself some money, buy duragloss, it's the same stuff

Why thanks. I believe I will keep using it.
If I want to go cheaper I'd go with Mother's.

One of the 6 or 7 part process of Zaino's smell like bubble gum instead of sewer water or plastic chemicals.
When I smell that bubble gum smell I know it's spring time. :icon_boun
COME ON SPRING TIME.

Oh, if you google "problems with duragloss" there's stuff to be learned.

Paul Workman
02-26-2014, 05:30 PM

My idea of the perfect shine product is once it is applied, I never have to fuss with it again, except to wash the road grime off now and then.

I've tried dozens of products, but stopped when I hit my car with Zaino. Bingo! Its almost my ideal polish. A wash and a quick buff with their "Z8", and after several driving seasons never having to do more than that.

But! Just to be fair, I still have my old hood. I've always wanted to do a comparison test. Maybe this would be the time to test some different products maybe?

Kevin
02-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Why thanks. I believe I will keep using it.
If I want to go cheaper I'd go with Mother's.

One of the 6 or 7 part process of Zaino's smell like bubble gum instead of sewer water or plastic chemicals.
When I smell that bubble gum smell I know it's spring time. :icon_boun
COME ON SPRING TIME.

Oh, if you google "problems with duragloss" there's stuff to be learned.

nothing to be learned here, I'm happy with what I use

scottfab
02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
My idea of the perfect shine product is once it is applied, I never have to fuss with it again, except to wash the road grime off now and then.

I've tried dozens of products, but stopped when I hit my car with Zaino. Bingo! Its almost my ideal polish. A wash and a quick buff with their "Z8", and after several driving seasons never having to do more than that.

But! Just to be fair, I still have my old hood. I've always wanted to do a comparison test. Maybe this would be the time to test some different products maybe?

Yes, that quick spray-on Zaino touch up "Z8" is great for the in-between times. Great stuff. I picked up another bottle of it last year at an estate sale for 50cents.
Talk about "learn something". I missed a spot with it last year and it sat almost a month while I was traveling. BIG MISTAKE but.... after spraying more Z8 on it I was able to get it off ok.

edram454
09-28-2014, 01:03 PM

yes I have used it on my black zr1. the finish is the slickest one I have ever used. I have tons of different products from adams, zaino and a stealthy product that is hard to find called satin gloss. This is a sun activated cleaner non abrasive wax and protector. Leave literally no dust and has filler glaze with blend of carnuba was and uv inhibitors. Living in south florida it is important that this should be applied in the direct sunlight. A chemist invented satin gloss in weaverville, north caroline USA made. He chose a red c4 convertible as his image car on the front of all his bottles. One bottle $30.00. If you buy bulk much better. Collinite 845 gives the car that extra burst of shine. the classic wet look and so slick nothing will stick to your car. fantastic product. Not many know about it but the few that do cant do without it. its almost like cheating.

mike100
09-28-2014, 01:26 PM
A friend down the street bought some Collinite wax/sealer (whatever it is) and it works well. There's a handful of other products I also use- just depends what I have learned through experience that has good durability, is $20-something dollars rather than $50, easy to remove, and is closest to my hand at the time. No huge preference as the last step product is not of the greatest importance imo.

To me the effort is in the compound and polish- the last step wax is just there to seal out the air, dust, bird poop, and bug guts. Mainly I'm looking for durability and ease of application. I love free samples you get from cars shows and the like too.

mike100
09-28-2014, 01:29 PM
...and a stealthy product that is hard to find called satin gloss... .

I'll have to look it up and see what people are saying. I haven't found anything that lasts longer than Rejex (which is a good sealer for the money). Sometimes it's hard to get it removed and easy to miss a spot though.

Franke
09-28-2014, 02:29 PM
3M finessit followed by a good wax. No more fine scratches and swirls.

Being that the car is 23 years old and has been driven as a "real car" (not a fully functioning 1:1 scale model), we've accumulated our share of little scratches, swirls and the like.

The shine is fine. Nothing is (visibly) faded and the clear coat is well intact.

I've seen / heard about the color-matching polishes and so forth, but never used one.

So now... let your wisdom flow forth upon me. :)