PDA

View Full Version : Ressurection - Dip Stick

Corvettes White
04-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Been taking the motor apart cleaning it up. And thought I would share a small bit with all. This is the dip stick. The “ADD” mark is hand scratched. The other stick is production.

And a question. The cats appear to be made of a low grade stainless steel. I have a brand new pair and the option of reinstalling the originals. I am inclined to reinstall the originals. But they are rusty as hell. Is their a good way to clean them, up? Thoughts?

Thanks George

Scrrem
04-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Been taking the motor apart cleaning it up. And thought I would share a small bit with all. This is the dip stick. The “ADD” mark is hand scratched. The other stick is production.

And a question. The cats appear to be made of a low grade stainless steel. I have a brand new pair and the option of reinstalling the originals. I am inclined to reinstall the originals. But they are rusty as hell. Is their a good way to clean them, up? Thoughts?

Thanks George

George,
The stock manifolds all look like that after a while. The heat shields are not shown in the picture,do you have them. They will hide a good bid of the rusty header, but they are a PITA to install/remove! You could have them media blasted and hit with some header paint. Have you considered headers? I added them to my car a year ago, and they really wake your Z up.

Corvettes White
04-30-2013, 10:05 PM
I thought about going in this direction, modifying the car beyond what it could have been back in 1989. But I am going to stick with as many 1989 part number parts as I can find. I do have the ’89 shields, they look worse than the cats. GM drove the **** out of the car I am sure. I also have a second set of shields that look only slightly used from a newer Z. I cannot tell the difference in stampings, so these will be the ones I install. However, the exhaust/cat manifolds are slightly different from ’89 to ’90. That is why I was keeping the ’89 ones on the car. I also need to pass smog out here in California, the car is not exempt.

LGAFF
05-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Where did you get all the parts? Interesting.....did you get the map cover yet?

Blue Flame Restorations
05-05-2013, 05:46 PM
George, that dipstick handle is some neat stuff.

Corvettes White
05-05-2013, 10:03 PM
None of it is life changing. Just fun. Lee, not yet. May be tomorrow.

As for the parts, it has taken a while. A little bit from all over. Example. One guy worked for the printer doing work for Chevy. He thought it would be nice to take a souvenir home. He had it for twenty years before he put it on eBay. I now have a NOS 1989 Z smog sticker. Living in California the most important part of the project. The swap itself is no problem. GM had published the certifications so the J motor is in the smog books right after the L98. George.