PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Guide Halogen Lights Needed

Socalerv
04-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Looking for two GUIDE Halogen light for a 1990 ZR1. Anyone out there know someone or a vendor?

Thanks

gbrtng
10-06-2013, 01:20 PM
glass or plastic?

jrd1990zr1
12-21-2013, 05:38 PM
I believe the 1990s were plastic. I do not think they were made as a service replacement. Only on the car from the factory.

Did you ever find a pair?

swamp
01-14-2014, 10:51 PM
I am new to this Site but I am a long time NCRS and Corvette Forum member.
I have conducted a survey concerning the issue of Glass vs Plastic Headlamps on the ZR1. My survey has found that the initial 1990 ZR1 had Glass Headlamps. The last 1990 ZR1 that had Glass Headlamps that responded to my requests on the NCRS Technical Board and the Corvette Forum was VIN #1964 and 1990 with a build date of March/April 1990.
The first Wagner Plastic Headlamp response was VIN #2320 with a build date of May 1990.
I am trying to narrow down the change over and also to expand my data base for the 1990 model.
I have found that all ZR1's after 1990 VIN # 2320 that responded to my requests had Wagner Plastic Headlamps.
You can also contact me at fulassoc@comcast.net and I would be happy to provide details of the results of my survey.
Thanks in advance.

Kevin
01-14-2014, 10:55 PM
i have plastic in my 90, #1433. gordon told me they should be glass

swamp
01-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Kevin, this is why I am conducting this survey.
I have eight ZR1's before your VIN with Glass Headlamps and three more after your VIN with Glass Headlamps. I will add your response to my data base. Could you give my your approximate build date also. I do appreciate your time.
I have submitted my information to the National Judging Leader of NCRS for the 1990-96 Class.
I will be give him any additional information that I received next week at the NCRS Regional Meet in Kissimmee.

Kevin
01-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Kevin, this is why I am conducting this survey.
I have eight ZR1's before your VIN with Glass Headlamps and three more after your VIN with Glass Headlamps. I will add your response to my data base. Could you give my your approximate build date also. I do appreciate your time.
I have submitted my information to the National Judging Leader of NCRS for the 1990-96 Class.
I will be give him any additional information that I received next week at the NCRS Regional Meet in Kissimmee.

I have no idea how to find my build date, but i'd be happy to if someone told me how to find it...and once I pull the car out of storage.

jrd1990zr1
01-15-2014, 07:08 PM
I am new to this Site but I am a long time NCRS and Corvette Forum member.
I have conducted a survey concerning the issue of Glass vs Plastic Headlamps on the ZR1. My survey has found that the initial 1990 ZR1 had Glass Headlamps. The last 1990 ZR1 that had Glass Headlamps that responded to my requests on the NCRS Technical Board and the Corvette Forum was VIN #1964 and 1990 with a build date of March/April 1990.
The first Wagner Plastic Headlamp response was VIN #2320 with a build date of May 1990.
I am trying to narrow down the change over and also to expand my data base for the 1990 model.
I have found that all ZR1's after 1990 VIN # 2320 that responded to my requests had Wagner Plastic Headlamps.
You can also contact me at fulassoc@comcast.net and I would be happy to provide details of the results of my survey.
Thanks in advance.

I owned 1990 #2529, When I purchased it with 4,000 miles it had plastic headlights. I currently own #2124 which also had plastic lenses. Both were/are NCRS top flight cars. I'll check my build date and post it for you since it appears the change over occurred between VIN #1964 and #2124.

jrd1990zr1
01-15-2014, 07:16 PM
I have no idea how to find my build date, but i'd be happy to if someone told me how to find it...and once I pull the car out of storage.

Kevin,

Month/year will be in the sticker on the drivers door, Build sheet if you have it will show as a julian date upper right. Another way is to drop your spare tire, lay on your back with your head where the spare tire should be. There is an assembly date written upside down, typically in blue or green crayon on the aluminum rear bumper subframe. It may be a day or two before the actual build completion date. I have seen this date on all 1990 ZR1s I have judged. They show month/day/year.

Racinfan83
02-04-2014, 07:01 AM
I have 2093 - and I don't know which it has. If it would ever stop snowing here I will uncover it and post what I find...

John Boothby
02-04-2014, 09:53 AM
My 1990 Vin 148 born on Sept 01, 1989 has glass headlamps. Guide Halogen.

scottfab
02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
My 90 SN 00064 (part of first production batch) is not plastic like
later years. They're glass.:-D
I did replace them. Might have kept one of the originals. Will look.

swamp
02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks for your response. You are right at the cut off point between Glass and Plastic Headlamps on the 1990 ZR1. The Glass Headlamps should have Guide on the front. If they are Plastic you should have either Wagner or Sylvania on the front. If it is also no problem, when you get a chance could you look on the driver's side door jam and get the build date. It will be on the top label, second line and look like 6/90.

Thanks again and I do appreciate your time and effort. Hope it stops snowing soon.

Pat

swamp
02-04-2014, 02:40 PM
I should have looked at my data base before I asked you for the Build Date.

In my data base right around your VIN # of 2093 I have April 4/90 and May 5/90 Build Dates. Your 1990 ZR1 probably has one of those Build Dates. However, if you get a chance could you confirm this.

Thanks again.

Pat

Z06scentair
02-04-2014, 06:24 PM
I should have looked at my data base before I asked you for the Build Date.

In my data base right around your VIN # of 2093 I have April 4/90 and May 5/90 Build Dates. Your 1990 ZR1 probably has one of those Build Dates. However, if you get a chance could you confirm this.

Thanks again.

Pat

I own the car now of the orginal OP 90 #1964. The car has Wagner plastic lights which according to the NCRS technical manual are correct.

swamp
02-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks for your response. In my data base, which is limited, I have your VIN #1964 as Plastic, VIN #1990 (After your VIN) as Glass and VIN #1996 as Wagner Plastic. It looks like this is somewhere around the change over period from Glass to Plastic. Everyone (20) who responded with the ZR1 Headlamps after VIN #1996 had Wagner Plastic Headlamps.

I will take any and all information concerning this matter. I am making no judgements, just gathering this information for everyone to review. Happy to share my results.

I have forwarded all the responses that I have received from this survey to the NCRS National Team Leader for the 1990-96 Class for his review.

Thanks again for your help.:flag:

Z06scentair
02-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks for your response. In my data base, which is limited, I have your VIN #1964 as Plastic, VIN #1990 (After your VIN) as Glass and VIN #1996 as Wagner Plastic. It looks like this is somewhere around the change over period from Glass to Plastic. Everyone (20) who responded with the ZR1 Headlamps after VIN #1996 had Wagner Plastic Headlamps.

I will take any and all information concerning this matter. I am making no judgements, just gathering this information for everyone to review. Happy to share my results.

I have forwarded all the responses that I have received from this survey to the NCRS National Team Leader for the 1990-96 Class for his review.

Thanks again for your help.:flag:

Well for NCRS sake I have both, Guide glass as well as Wagner Plastic.

Wonder if extra points are awarded for one of each installed?:p

swamp
02-04-2014, 09:58 PM
We might have now determined the cut off point. They put the last Glass Guide Headlamp on first and then they ran out of them and then the UAW Worker went to the other side of your 1990 ZR1 and put on the first Plastic Wagner Headlamp.

I am just joking, but I am glad that you mentioned that to me as I will adjust my data base for that interesting fact. I have heard of such things in the past where two items that were suppose to be for one year but the parts was from two different years on an original Corvette.

I am not kidding about the notation, if you say so, then I will record it as one of each. Yeah I know someone will ask me later, what side was the Glass Guide on and what side was the Wagner Plastic one on. That is when I leave the building. I will also be asked if the Plastic Wagner was possibly a replacement for a burned out Glass Guide Headlamp. That is when I leave all together.

I do appreciate you time and effort.
Pat

Z06scentair
02-04-2014, 10:18 PM
We might have now determined the cut off point. They put the last Glass Guide Headlamp on first and then they ran out of them and then the UAW Worker went to the other side of your 1990 ZR1 and put on the first Plastic Wagner Headlamp.

I am just joking, but I am glad that you mentioned that to me as I will adjust my data base for that interesting fact. I have heard of such things in the past where two items that were suppose to be for one year but the parts was from two different years on an original Corvette.

I am not kidding about the notation, if you say so, then I will record it as one of each. Yeah I know someone will ask me later, what side was the Glass Guide on and what side was the Wagner Plastic one on. That is when I leave the building. I will also be asked if the Plastic Wagner was possibly a replacement for a burned out Glass Guide Headlamp. That is when I leave all together.

I do appreciate you time and effort.
Pat

I was actually just joking above. Maybe I should have clarified, the car has a set of plastic wagner lights in it now and they appear to have never been changed.

I had purchased a set of Guide glass just to have in case the NCRS decides the start of plastic was after my vin 1964.

Best Regards,

Brad

swamp
02-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Brad, I was not actually joking in total. You are at just about the cut off point where the Glass Guide Headlamps in my survey stop and the Plastic Wagner Headlamps begin for the 1990 ZR1 model. I would not change anything and keep the Glass Guide Headlamps as they might be worth something.

I have been passing along this information to the NCRS National Team Leader for the 1990-96 Class in hopes of correcting the Judging Manuals.
I do appreciate your time and if you come across any more 1990 ZR1's, keep me in mind.

Thanks again for all your help.

gbrtng
02-05-2014, 06:31 PM
What do the NCRS guys say about the base C4's headlights?

Z06scentair
02-05-2014, 07:35 PM
What do the NCRS guys say about the base C4's headlights?

Well its vague to say the least.

"The 1990 L98 and B2K Corvette, as well as ZR-1, headlights have "Guide" and "HALOGEN" on the center and "2B1" and "SEALED BEAM" on the top. These Guide headlights are made of glass."

swamp
02-05-2014, 09:19 PM
I don't speak for NCRS, nor do I have all the Judging Manuals to look up your question.
I take the data and forward it to the NCRS National Judging Team Leader for his review.
I only send him informtion that I receive and I make no determination on how it is used.
However, as I stated before, I will share any information that I have.
Concerning Non ZR1 C4's Corvettes I have some responses.
I will try and make this as clear as I can because it can be confusing.
From the responses:
1987-One response-Glass-Sylvania Silver Star
1991-One response-Glass
1992-This appears to be the year of the change over from Glass to Plastic.
1992-Until February 1992 all responses were for Glass.
May 1992 first reported Sylvania Plastic.
One late 1992 response for Wagner Plastic
1993-One response for Wagner Plastic
1994-One response for Wagner Plastic
One response for Glass. This response may be out of sequence, however this is what I was furnished.
1995-Three responses for Wagner Plastic
1996-Three responses for Wagner Plastic

I hope this helps.

swamp
02-06-2014, 10:43 AM
John, thanks for the information on VIN #148.

Also want to thank the rest of the group on this registry for helping out. You have provided a great deal of information and I do appreciate all your time and effort.
If any new information is found, please let me know as this is a running survey.

Once again, thank you all.

Pat

8cam
03-11-2014, 09:56 AM
FWIW my '90 has glass headlights and given the very stock condition of the rest of the car, I bet they are original.

Racinfan83
03-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Looked at mine yesterday. #2093 has plastic Wagner headlights. 19k miles - I would guess original...

swamp
03-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the input, I have some 1990 ZR1's with prior VINs to yours with Wagner Plastic Headlamps.

The early 1990 ZR1's had Glass.

Again, thank you very much your information is a great hep. It shows more of a consistent pattern of the Wagner Plastic Headlamps that replaced the Glass Headlamps.

If there are any questions about the survey I would be happy to answer them.

Anyone else is more than welcome to send me their information.

jrd1990zr1
03-16-2014, 04:20 PM
I don't speak for NCRS, nor do I have all the Judging Manuals to look up your question.
I take the data and forward it to the NCRS National Judging Team Leader for his review.
I only send him informtion that I receive and I make no determination on how it is used.
However, as I stated before, I will share any information that I have.
Concerning Non ZR1 C4's Corvettes I have some responses.
I will try and make this as clear as I can because it can be confusing.
From the responses:
1987-One response-Glass-Sylvania Silver Star
1991-One response-Glass
1992-This appears to be the year of the change over from Glass to Plastic.
1992-Until February 1992 all responses were for Glass.
May 1992 first reported Sylvania Plastic.
One late 1992 response for Wagner Plastic
1993-One response for Wagner Plastic
1994-One response for Wagner Plastic
One response for Glass. This response may be out of sequence, however this is what I was furnished.
1995-Three responses for Wagner Plastic
1996-Three responses for Wagner Plastic

I hope this helps.

First let me say your research is to be commended. Thank you for taking the time to conduct this research.

But, your post above leaves me a bit confused. When I look over the NCRS judging guide for the 1990/1991 MY it says that 1990 ZR1 with serial # over 2000 must have Wagner (plastic) headlights. All 1991 ZR1s should have plastic lenses.

Although there is a potential for anomalies on any corvette, it seems like your information prior to your 2/5/14 post generally agrees with the NCRS Tech manual, the change on 1990 ZR1s from glass to plastic was around VIN 2000, Serial 1964 by the postings in this thread.

You stated above;
"1991-One response-Glass
1992-This appears to be the year of the change over from Glass to Plastic."

If the 1991 you are mentioning above is a ZR1 and it has glass lenses it is contrary to the 1990/91 judging manual. If the owner is the original ower of the car and did not change the headlights, it appears to be an anomalily. I would check again with the owner of this car for clarity and more information.

I do not think from the limited data you have presented above you can say that MY 1992 appears to be "the change from glass to plastic", since plastic seems to be proper for the 1991 MY ZR1 based on the NCRS manual.

Keep up the good work. :handshak:

Mystic ZR-1
03-16-2014, 04:52 PM
John
Maybe "they" will answer my ongoing question if I ask how many Top Flight ZR-1s
have glass lites and how many have plastic...? :)
D
BG?

swamp
03-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the response and I hope that I can clear up your questions. I really do appreciate your time as this is the only way we can come up with an answer.

You are correct that I have a limited data base. But I have some information that I am happy to share. This following information is what folks who responded to my requests furnished:

1990 ZR1- 11 VINS prior to VIN 1389 all had Glass
1990 ZR1 -VINS 1422 and 1433 -Plastic
1990 ZR1- VINS 1755 and 1786-Glass
1990 ZR1- VIN 1964-Plastic
1990 ZR1- VIN 1990-Glass
1990 ZR1- VIN 1996-Plastic
I had 7 1990 ZR1 VINS after 1996 and they were all Plastic.

I can not say for sure that the early plastic headlamps were original, only that is what the responses indicated. Were they replacements, the responding individuals did not provide me with enough information to indicate that they were the original owners and know for sure they were never changed.

1991 ZR1- I had 14 responses in this group and they were all Plastic.

The change over from Glass to Plastic in non-ZR1 models, according to information furnished me occurred between Feb 1992 to May 1992. I do not have any information that would narrow the change over point down.

Referring to the statement that the you must have plastic headlamps in the ZR1 after 1990 VIN 2000, I would never change anything that you feel is correct and can show that it is original. The Judging Manual may say that is the change over, but that does not mean that Glass Headlamps were installed at Bowling Green after that point.

The Judging Manual is in a constant state of updating and information like this is a great help.

As I stated before, I am not a spokesman for NCRS, only a individual who is trying to help out fellow Corvette owners.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide your input.

If I have failed to answer your questions, please let me know and I will be happy to try and provide you with what information I have. I do not express opinions, only what is give to me.

From my own personal experiences in having my Corvette Flight Judged at a Chapter and Regional setting, I have parts on it that do not agree with the current manual. I have substantiaed they they were correct and prodivded that information to the Judges. Did I change it for Flight Judging? No I did not and I was able to explain the differences to the Judges who were very gracious and understanding and I did not take any deductions for the items in question.

Once again, thanks for your help.

jrd1990zr1
03-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Swamp,

Thanks for the clarification. Don't get me wrong, I was not critquing your work, just looking for a clarification.

Your data appears consistant wth the judging manual for the 1990 MY based on you explanation. If you have the ability to talk with the owner of VIN 1990 I would ask about the originality of the car and ownership history.

You're statement is right on the mark regarding revision. The 1990/1991 MY judging manual was revised only a couple years after it came out.

Hey Doug, don't hold your breath! :) Doubtful on BG.

swamp
03-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the response and I do appreciate your time and input.

Without dialog like this, nothing will be settled.

I will attempt to get back with the owner of 1990. Some of the respondents were very reluctant to give me any information at all. Not that I blame them with all the scams artist out there.

Again, I appreciate you time and input.

As a side note, After your Corvette

swamp
03-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the response and I do appreciate your time and input.

Without dialog like this, nothing will be settled.

I will attempt to get back with the owner of 1990. Some of the respondents were very reluctant to give me any information at all. Not that I blame them with all the scams artist out there.

Again, I appreciate you time and input.

scottfab
03-18-2014, 08:28 AM
You're welcome !

scottfab
03-18-2014, 08:29 AM
You are welcome :p