PDA

View Full Version : Newsletter poll

vilant
08-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I noticed a lot of ranting about the newsletter. Thought I post a poll to see who really wants one. If there's overwhelming response for it, then it should be made available. If a majority don't care, then why bother.

Z Factor
08-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Joe,

While it is fine for you to post this poll, I am first going to move it to the club section of the forum since it is a club related issue.

Second, what many people who frequent the forum probably do not consider is that many dues paying members are not regular participants here. Some use the listserver exclusively, some do not use the internet at all, and their only connection to the club is via the newsletter or attending events.

So while I am not going to get into the middle of this issue because I am not on the BOD and try to stay neutral, the poll will probably not be reflective of the membership for the aforementioned reasons.

:cheers:

vilant
08-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Joe,

While it is fine for you to post this poll, I am first going to move it to the club section of the forum since it is a club related issue.

Second, what many people who frequent the forum probably do not consider is that many dues paying members are not regular participants here. Some use the listserver exclusively, some do not use the internet at all, and their only connection to the club is via the newsletter or attending events.

So while I am not going to get into the middle of this issue because I am not on the BOD and try to stay neutral, the poll will probably not be reflective of the membership for the aforementioned reasons.

OK sorry, didn't realize. Just figured most of us were paying members, and participated somewhat regularly.

scottfab
08-11-2012, 10:37 PM
It would be instructive to have some numbers.
How many member only use the list server?
How many do not participate in the forum nor the list server?
Numbers in % of overall members.

Z Factor
08-11-2012, 11:05 PM
OK sorry, didn't realize. Just figured most of us were paying members, and participated somewhat regularly.

Hi Joe,

No need to apologize as I certainly understand your curiosity. It is just that over the years we have tried to gauge whether or not things were redundant or not, i.e. the forum vs the listserver. So MOM created a poll years ago here on the forum and announced it on the listserver as well. We actually had a few people registered here just to vote to keep the listserver, but it was not close to the number of people who actually used it(and presumably wanted to keep it).

So I strongly suspect the results will not be reflective of the majority of the membership. Still the is no problem with you trying.

Z Factor
08-11-2012, 11:26 PM
It would be instructive to have some numbers.
How many member only use the list server?
How many do not participate in the forum nor the list server?
Numbers in % of overall members.

Hi Scott,

I believe it would be great to know also. That said, it would be incredibly difficult to gauge how accurate the figures were. Considering some only use one or the other, that alone would pose certain impediments. What further complicates the issue is a decent amount probably do not frequent either, some not at all.
I also suspect that the ones who want a hard-copy are the most likely to want to keep a newsletter, but some of them might not even use/have a computer.
This has always posed a quandary, so Dave Bright(aka Mom) chose to continue to provide as many avenues/connections to the ZR-1 community as possible.

vilant
08-12-2012, 12:15 AM
I also suspect that the ones who want a hard-copy are the most likely to want to keep a newsletter, but some of them might not even use/have a computer.

I'm also a member of the Corvette Club of Delaware Valley, they have a newsletter (the Gascap) that is online. If you want a hard copy you have to specifically ask for it, otherwise it's accessible online. Not sure how the newsletter works here.
It would cut down on costs just to mail it to the few that want it in hard copy, the rest would be happy just to read it online. I personally wouldn't want a hard copy (waste of resources), and really could care less if either club had a newsletter. It's not the reason I'm a paying member of either club.

Z Factor
08-12-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm also a member of the Corvette Club of Delaware Valley, they have a newsletter (the Gascap) that is online. If you want a hard copy you have to specifically ask for it, otherwise it's accessible online. Not sure how the newsletter works here.
It would cut down on costs just to mail it to the few that want it in hard copy, the rest would be happy just to read it online. I personally wouldn't want a hard copy (waste of resources), and really could care less if either club had a newsletter. It's not the reason I'm a paying member of either club.

I think most publications future lies with being published online. While I personally did not always read the club newsletter, it was nice to perusal from time to time. Still there are others unlike ourselves who really enjoyed every newsletter, and miss it being published(online or otherwise).

I would certainly not presume to tell them my view is more valid than theirs when it comes to things they enjoy.

scottfab
08-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Hi Scott,

I believe it would be great to know also. That said, it would be incredibly difficult to gauge how accurate the figures were. Considering some only use one or the other, that alone would pose certain impediments. What further complicates the issue is a decent amount probably do not frequent either, some not at all.
This has always posed a quandary, so Dave Bright(aka Mom) chose to continue to provide as many avenues/connections to the ZR-1 community as possible.

Thank you for the reply. I recall having this same exchange with mom about 6yrs ago. And I certainly understand the difficulty in gathering the real numbers. However, as then I still feel an effort should go to this, perhaps a 3 or 4 question questionnaire that would happen at re-registration time? How can informed decisions happen otherwise? I think we all know as time goes by fewer and fewer will insist on paper only. It's just a matter of how quickly.

Imagine how simplifying the publishing of the KOTH would make things. Then the biggest difficulty would be satisfying all members and non members about some thing else.:p

zr1mom
08-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Joe we have both as well. When we were publishing the newsletter the member had the option of accessing it on line for free thru the "Members Only" section of the web site or for a fee have a hard cover copy delivered to their house.

vilant
08-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I think most publications future lies with being published online.

I would certainly not presume to tell them my view is more valid than theirs when it comes to things they enjoy.

I agree. And I wasn't. Just throwing my 2 cents out there, though it's probably not worth that much;).

vilant
08-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Thank you for the reply. I recall having this same exchange with mom about 6yrs ago. And I certainly understand the difficulty in gathering the real numbers. However, as then I still feel an effort should go to this, perhaps a 3 or 4 question questionnaire that would happen at re-registration time? How can informed decisions happen otherwise? I think we all know as time goes by fewer and fewer will insist on paper only. It's just a matter of how quickly.

Imagine how simplifying the publishing of the KOTH would make things. Then the biggest difficulty would be satisfying all members and non members about some thing else.:p
Great Idea. Would solve problems.:cheers:

Z Factor
08-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I agree. And I wasn't. Just throwing my 2 cents out there, though it's probably not worth that much;).

I hope I did not come across in a flippant way, as that was not my intent, nor did I think you felt that way either.
So there is nothing wrong with you expressing your thoughts and I would encourage you to continue to do so.

gbrtng
08-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Let's move this poll and discussion to the members only section. Please?

efnfast
08-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Let's move this poll and discussion to the members only section. Please?

Why, I paid my dues, but don't belong to the "members only" section. Not sure why, not even sure what it is. But all this talk certainly has my attention.

I started a thread about our illustrious president and found it got quite heated. I stopped reading it because I was affraid I was going to start disliking people I came here to befriend. Seems like that is where this is going.-Steve

gbrtng
08-12-2012, 07:16 PM
If you paid, you should be able to access the members only section. Maybe an officer can help.

efnfast
08-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I kinda' like only coming to one forum, guess if I'm missing much there I should find out how to access it.

jimmy b.
08-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I like having a newsletter, for one not all of us have jobs where we can take our computers or have them at work for our use so having a printed one works for me. Second I'm a crane operator and I have to sit there for long periods of time just holding on to something while contractors work on it. So the newsletter comes in real handy for me.

A couple of years ago I paid for a subscription but never received a single copy that year, but I was so busy that year with my daughter and moving her from one college to another and it was my fault for not checking into it. Now I'm not
sure if I will pay for it again with hopes somebody will produce one, but I still am in favor of having one...jim

Aurora40
08-13-2012, 09:30 AM
I kinda' like only coming to one forum, guess if I'm missing much there I should find out how to access it.

There is only one forum. It's a section available to member's only. Sort of like how there is "ZR-1 General" and "ZR-1 Technical" and such. There's one that is "Registry Members Only" or something similar. It doesn't show up if you don't have access. They put stuff like financials, etc, there. Things that don't belong in public, along with some discussions of registry matters.

scottfab
08-13-2012, 10:17 AM
There is only one forum. It's a section available to member's only. Sort of like how there is "ZR-1 General" and "ZR-1 Technical" and such. There's one that is "Registry Members Only" or something similar. It doesn't show up if you don't have access. They put stuff like financials, etc, there. Things that don't belong in public, along with some discussions of registry matters.

Just a point of clarification.
This does not read right. There is only one forum and the definition of what it is, is correct later in the paragraph but the first two sentences lead one to believe that, "There is only one forum. It's a section available to member's only."
For clarification, it is my understanding, there is only one ZR-1 Net Registry forum site but there are many "forums" under it. Some of these forums are "member only"

Aurora40
08-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Yes, the "It's" in "It's a section available to members only" refers to the Members Only section the quoted poster asked about. You are right, the wording implies the only forum is a member's only forum. Sorry about that.

There is only one Registry-sponsored forum: http://zr1.net/forum There are many sub-forums on that, one of which is available only to active Registry members.

gbrtng
08-13-2012, 01:48 PM
efnfast:

If you are a paid member click here:

http://www.zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

and you will see 5 sub-forums, the second one is "Registry Members Only".

efnfast
08-13-2012, 04:19 PM
efnfast:

I see four sub-forums.

FU
08-13-2012, 04:50 PM
I see four sub-forums.

Steve ,You should see 6. Jim is on Vaca. and he's usually the fastest to fix this problem.Contact one of the other Mod's they will give you the key's.

efnfast
08-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks Frank.

vilant
08-13-2012, 05:07 PM
I see four sub-forums.
Lol, I only see 4 too. I paid my dues, got my shirt and sticker. I was thinking I had full access this whole time. What's strange is I can access the parts list, financial reports, and store discounts. Are you sure there's suppose to be 6? I guess I don't have access to the Members Only section on the forum yet.

Z Factor
08-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Guys, as paid members you are entitled access to the members only area in the general section which means you should see 5 sub-sections.

Normally we'd wait to hear from the membership director to confirm your memberships are up to date. However in this instance I will assume you are both paid up this year and active your forum ID's so you can have access now. I will follow up with George Jones to confirm, and if there is any issue I will ask him to contact you.

If you have a problem in the mean time please feel free to PM me.

vilant
08-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Guys, as paid members you are entitled access to the members only area in the general section which means you should see 5 sub-sections.

Normally we'd wait to hear from the membership director to confirm your memberships are up to date. However in this instance I will assume you are both paid up this year and active your forum ID's so you can have access now. I will follow up with George Jones to confirm, and if there is any issue I will ask him to contact you.

Ahh, I see it now. Thanks.:cheers:

Hammer
08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
I see 4 sub-forums too.

scottfab
08-14-2012, 06:03 AM
I see 4 until I log in then I see 5

efnfast
08-14-2012, 07:15 AM

Thansk Z Factor:cheers:

Paul in SC
08-16-2012, 08:11 AM
efnfast:

I just tried the link and only see 4 as well.

Can anyone check this out for me?

Thanks, :handshak:
Paul

vilant
08-16-2012, 05:56 PM
I just tried the link and only see 4 as well.

Can anyone check this out for me?

Thanks, :handshak:
Paul
Hi Paul, try PMing Z Factor. He was able to help me.

Paul in SC
08-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi Paul, try PMing Z Factor. He was able to help me.

Thanks, Joe. :handshak:

Just sent PM.

Paul

tf95ZR1
10-09-2012, 12:37 AM
I noticed a lot of ranting about the newsletter. Thought I post a poll to see who really wants one. If there's overwhelming response for it, then it should be made available. If a majority don't care, then why bother.

I always enjoyed the old newsletter. From ZR-1 events to articles by our Gurus, it was something to look forward to.
Evidently NOBODY realized what it took to put a newsletter together. I paid my dues this year mainly to get the newsletter: NOT!
Especially if you don't live on the east coast, why bother?

DDSLT5
10-09-2012, 01:51 AM
I always enjoyed the old newsletter. From ZR-1 events to articles by our Gurus, it was something to look forward to.
Evidently NOBODY realized what it took to put a newsletter together. I paid my dues this year mainly to get the newsletter: NOT!
Especially if you don't live on the east coast, why bother?

Funny you mention this Ted. Yep, putting together a newsletter is a lot of hard work! I find it very interesting to look back on the things said two years ago. There were those who didn't like my convictions and wanted somebody more pliable to put together the newsletter (to their liking), however a pliable individual isn't likely to put in the effort to assemble a newsletter. I had some ideas to take the newsletter to the next level, and I had every intention of doing so. Anybody that knows me, knows that my word is my bond.

IMO - a man's word is his reputation, and his most valuable asset. If he can't stand by his word, he will fall for anything. :cheers:

1990 415
10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
In the last 2 years there should have been 8 newsletters published and I believe there were only 2 of the 8 completed. Will the Registry be refunding dues to the members who joined this club expecting to receive a newsletter on a quarterly basis? I just received a complete collection of the newsletters from the old ZR-1 Registry. The old newsletters were published 6 times a year and they were always over 50 pages long, with an abundance of information. In the last 2 years the newsletter has gone from a regularly published (quarterly under Dwight's care) newsletter to an almost non-existent entity. I recall all sorts of promises made in the Fall of 2010 that the new editor would take the newsletter to a better and loftier plateau. The current shuffling of editors in the last 2 years and the virtual non-publishing of the newsletter make me wish the first editor of the ZR-1 Net Registry hadn't been voted out of his position. Now it appears that the Board intends to remove the editor position entirely, thereby killing the newsletter. What a shame.

4CAM LT5
10-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Now it appears that the Board intends to remove the editor position entirely, thereby killing the newsletter. What a shame.

Sorry to see the newsletter go....but, "the times they are a 'changin'....

A26B
10-09-2012, 10:01 AM

There are no plans to cancel the newsletter/HOTB magazine. Such statements are rumors with no foundation in fact.

DaveK
10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Please edit or delete all posts with political opinions and stay on topic.

Thanks

Dave

tf95ZR1
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM

How is a ZR-1 newsletter "old school"? For the newbe's who have NEVER received a copy,
it was great reading about and seeing pictures of events I couldn't make it to, or were too far away.
The tech articles were invaluable, and travel and race reports were fun. Even the Chumpvette events
made me laugh. They (the newsletter, not the Chumpvette) enticed me to TWICE fly from Los Angeles
to Kentucky (really Nashville.TN & drive a PT cruiser to BG) for GREAT Gatherings. And to Washington
(Portland, OR and again drive a PT Cruiser) to PNW Gatherings. I wouldn't mind if the newsletter
was electronic or e-mail only. I also understand that the newsletter hasn't been officially cancelled,
but I also haven't heard that the next issue is on its way. SO WHAT'S HAPPENING?

Now I will agree that those were "the good old days"!

:saluting:

DDSLT5
10-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Lets try to stay on topic.

Ted - I have always said that one of the most important elements of the club is the production of a quality newsletter on a regular basis. This is what attracted me to the original ZR-1 Registry. I wrote articles for Clint for the LT5 Registry, & this is what motivated me to try to produce a topical production with good entertainment value. Short of a t-shirt that can be bought separately, what other benefit does membership offer? (Frankie - I'm not knocking your sweet *** shirts!)

Simple answer : not much.

tf95ZR1
10-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Wouldn't a newsletter be a GREAT lure for membership?
Notice the BOLD, DYNO!

FU
10-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Notice the BOLD, DYNO!

It would be great for all and we are trying , but need some help from everyone to pitch in. This has become the biggest and most burdensome thing that the board has faced. And trust me when I say that this board had to face lot's. The last editor did a fantastic job. Made it look easy. And it's too bad that the membership voted the way they did. That was a loss for us all.

vilant
10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
It would be great for all and we are trying , but need some help from everyone to pitch in. This has become the biggest and most burdensome thing that the board has faced. And trust me when I say that this board had to face lot's. The last editor did a fantastic job. Made it look easy. And it's too bad that the membership voted the way they did. That was a loss for us all.
What kind of help do you need? Don't have a whole lot of technical expertise but I'm learning quick and can lend a hand if needed.:cheers:

FU
10-09-2012, 06:43 PM
A few picture's and a little history on how you found the car etc. That would be great Joe :cheers:

Dynomite
10-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Notice the BOLD, DYNO!

Where is the BOLD? I missed something? :cheers:

I think there is lots to attract membership to this Forum and yes a newsletter would be nice. I do not think this site is attractive because of its politics :D

Internal and/or External :sign10:

Paul would like some assistance and deserves input with nice photos of projects. A technical discusson would also be attractive in the Newsletter.

I am out combining corn and soybeans so am tied up for a while with breakdowns, repairs, welding, and you name it. But after I get the corn and beans out I would be glad to help Paul any way I can :handshak:

Cliff

DDSLT5
10-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey Cliff - hows your yield buddy? I had soya beans on this year - yields are epic!

Farmers feed cities!! Keep up the good work!

Dwight

Dynomite
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Hey Cliff - hows your yield buddy? I had soya beans on this year - yields are epic!

Farmers feed cities!! Keep up the good work!

Dwight

Well...you know about the drought....very tough for some and kind of spotty to good around here. 44 bu on beans and 140 bu corn which is good for around here especially since we had very little rain July and August. In Ill they look for 60 or better bu beans and 200 bu corn. We definitely cannot complain with a little better than average yield and corn over $7 and beans over $16. Crop report comes out Thur morning. It is all dry land farming around here so if no rain...no crop. Then there is hail, early frost, late frost, early snow, wind, bugs, fuel costs, fertilizer costs, herbicide costs, and well...you get the picture. Los Vegas is much more predictable :D

Parts of Ill and even southern Dakotas the guys just disked the corn and beans under it was so bad.

I think the Newsletter issue will sort itself out as Paul is a great writer and stand up technical guru.....Paul knows stuff ;)

Cliff

vilant
10-09-2012, 09:15 PM
A few picture's and a little history on how you found the car etc. That would be great Joe :cheers:
Ok, I'll do a write-up. Where do I send it or should I just post it?:cheers:

scottfab
10-09-2012, 09:22 PM
That would make a great article for the News rag. =D>
An LT5 in a John Deer tractor or combine.
Farming the :usa: way.
:-D :cheers: :o :blahblah:
http://gifs.gifbin.com/092012/1348245247_funny_silo_demolition.gif

Dynomite
10-09-2012, 09:44 PM
That would make a great article for the News rag. =D>
An LT5 in a John Deer tractor or combine.
Farming the :usa: way.
:-D :cheers: :o

Scott.....I like your spiced up texting :handshak:

For you city folks John Deere S690 Combine with 16-30 inch Row Corn Head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PqL-iAfXk8)

Notice the American Flag :thumbsup:
Cliff

DDSLT5
10-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Ontario yields are double that - no drought up here - Canada feeds the USA! You're welcome!

scottfab
10-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Ontario yields are double that - no drought up here - Canada feeds the USA! You're welcome!

Sorry, a distant 6th place.
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-agricultural-exporters-map.html

DDSLT5
10-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Scott - you're such an expert on crop yields in other countries (which are currently being harvested as we speak), I yield to your knowledge base.

How do you explain this one? Sound fiscal policy?

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-most-in-debt-map.html

Dynomite
10-09-2012, 11:03 PM

Not exactly ;) Ontario corn yield is expected to be 137 bu and I got 140 bu. Ontario soybean yield is expected to be 39 bu and I got 44 bu.

Since August, Statistics Canada has chimed in with their yield expectations for Ontario. They are projecting Ontario corn to yield 136.7 bushels per acre on 2.15 million acres. This is down from 151.6 bushels per acre last year and 164 bushels per acre in 2010. They are projecting Ontario soybeans to yield 39.4 bushels per acre on 2.64 million acres, down from 44.9 bushels per acre last year and 46 bushels per acre in 2010. The 2012 Ontario wheat yield was set at 79 bushels per acre on 810,000 acres.

http://www.gfo.ca/Marketing/MarketTrendsCommentary.aspx

This is NOT politics....this is Farming :D
Check out those Futures Prices.

Kind of a fun way to distract ourselves from the News Letter which will be just fine sooner or later.

So....Scott......you think I should install my LT5 crate Engine in my John Deere (NOT Deer) Tractor? I could think of all sorts of projects in that regard. I think I will install my LT5 crate engine in my Toyota Tacoma :D

I will propose to Paul an article on how to use the LT5 engine on the Farm :thumbsup:

Or better yet....How a Farmer built a 500 hp ZR-1 :sign10:

The 500 hp LT5 Rebuild (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-zr-1-discussion/3005470-tech-info-lt5-modifications-rebuild-tricks-500-hp.html)

Scott......Just had to borrow your gif

scottfab
10-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Scott - you're such an expert on crop yields in other countries (which are currently being harvested as we speak), I yield to your knowledge base.

How do you explain this one? Sound fiscal policy?

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-most-in-debt-map.html

Well you see it's like this. Google is like the old six-shooter of yesteryear. It is an "equalizer" for knowledge as the six-shooter was an equalizer for physical stature. I try to not make up stuff without checking a bit.
Of course one has to compare sources and see if there is controversy but in this case I didn't find any.
It's pretty cut and dried.
USA = #1
Canada = #6

But never fear according to Answers.com
Canada is best known for their maple syrup, the Canadian goose, the beaver, having the most freshwater in the world, multiculturalism, free health care
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Canada_best_known_for#ixzz28rYVJPdz

DDSLT5
10-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Scott,

In typical self centered fashion, you've discussed your rhetoric instead of referencing the link I posted (which is from the page you posted originally).

I'm sure this is simply an unfortunate error on your part (likely attributed to your iPhone or dependence on indoor urination) & truly you meant to comment on the link I referenced.

Please........continue!

1990 415
10-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Not exactly ;) Ontario corn yield is expected to be 137 bu and I got 140 bu. Ontario soybean yield is expected to be 39 bu and I got 44 bu.

Since August, Statistics Canada has chimed in with their yield expectations for Ontario. They are projecting Ontario corn to yield 136.7 bushels per acre on 2.15 million acres. This is down from 151.6 bushels per acre last year and 164 bushels per acre in 2010. They are projecting Ontario soybeans to yield 39.4 bushels per acre on 2.64 million acres, down from 44.9 bushels per acre last year and 46 bushels per acre in 2010. The 2012 Ontario wheat yield was set at 79 bushels per acre on 810,000 acres.

http://www.gfo.ca/Marketing/MarketTrendsCommentary.aspx

This is NOT politics....this is Farming :D
Check out those Futures Prices.

Kind of a fun way to distract ourselves from the News Letter which will be just fine sooner or later.

So....Scott......you think I should install my LT5 crate Engine in my John Deere (NOT Deer) Tractor? I could think of all sorts of projects in that regard. I think I will install my LT5 crate engine in my Toyota Tacoma :D

I will propose to Paul an article on how to use the LT5 engine on the Farm :thumbsup:

Or better yet....How a Farmer built a 500 hp ZR-1 :sign10:

The 500 hp LT5 Rebuild (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-zr-1-discussion/3005470-tech-info-lt5-modifications-rebuild-tricks-500-hp.html)

Scott......Just had to borrow your gif
Cliff, nice yields you are producing with the lack of precipitation this growing season. I'm a farmer like you. My soybeans came off 2 weeks ago and the yield was an impressive 59 bushels per acre. One of my neighbors pulled 77 bushels per acre out of his best field, but that is pretty rare. We were fortunate enough to get rain at just the right times this summer, resulting in formidable yields. I hate to see when crops are ploughed under due to a pathetic growing season, but that unfortunately happens. We are at the mercy of Mother Nature and she can be a cruel temptress. If the rain would stay away for a week, the rest of the white beans might be salvaged. But I digress, how can you seriously take the opinion of someone who can't even spell John Deere properly? Your patience with Scott's insults is amazing. Keep feeding cities, regardless of what country they are in.

Dynomite
10-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Cliff, nice yields you are producing with the lack of precipitation this growing season. I'm a farmer like you. My soybeans came off 2 weeks ago and the yield was an impressive 59 bushels per acre. One of my neighbors pulled 77 bushels per acre out of his best field, but that is pretty rare. We were fortunate enough to get rain at just the right times this summer, resulting in formidable yields. I hate to see when crops are ploughed under due to a pathetic growing season, but that unfortunately happens. We are at the mercy of Mother Nature and she can be a cruel temptress. If the rain would stay away for a week, the rest of the white beans might be salvaged. But I digress, how can you seriously take the opinion of someone who can't even spell John Deere properly? Your patience with Scott's insults is amazing. Keep feeding cities, regardless of what country they are in.

Yep....same here. One neighbor only 6 miles away got 60 bu on a couple fields of beans as they had showers that just missed us in July and August. I also heard of some neighbors to the east a few miles getting 200 bu corn as they got the showers also in July. That is rare but the growing season started early this year with some corn in the ground mid April and some beans in the ground first week in May (lucky on that as we were watching the frost in mid May which would set that early planting back considerably). I got caught on early beans and did not count on the 3 inch rain we got a day after I planted (followed the next three days by record setting temperatures) which crusted the emergence (cutting emergence in half) but still ending up with 44 bu beans.

I do not think some city folks have the patience we learn early dry land farming. Our gross income can actually be close to zero some years and better than normal if we get a normal crop with high grain prices like this year as a result of the unfortunate Ill drought.

As for Scott........he has amazing LT5 and ZR-1 technical knowledge and has contributed in an awesome way to this Forum and Registry on technical issues. I kind of fell for his silo gif as my sidewalk is made from exaclty those silo interlocking tiles after we fell a neighbors silo a few years ago exaclty as the gif depicts.
This Forum is sometimes not so friendly (I was recently called a wise-*** on this Forum by an Administrator in e-mail) as the folks around here in rural South Dakota. When you dry land farm your worldy perspective and personality becomes considerably different than the normal person. And when you live in this rural environment you tend to use smilies and joke around a bit more taking life a bit less seriously. But then when you live around here you never have to lock your shed or house doors either and you can still carry your rifle or shotgun visible in your Toyota Tacoma :D

I will have some time to help out Paul as winter approaches (as he likes) with technical articles and photos. My new IPhone 4s is just waiting to take some more photos of The 500 hp LT5 Rebuild (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-zr-1-discussion/3005470-tech-info-lt5-modifications-rebuild-tricks-500-hp.html)

I have "projects" including -Solutions- (http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16778) on both Forums as well as the 100 post sticky The 500 hp LT5 Rebuild (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-zr-1-discussion/3005470-tech-info-lt5-modifications-rebuild-tricks-500-hp.html) over on CF for winter "projects". Both require maintenance which is a lot of fun keeping up with new technical information presented by Forum members (paying or not paying). Many Forum members take the time (out of pure hobby enjoyment) to document their own technical knowledge and experiences maintaining/modifying the ZR-1 (LT5) and Corvette (L98) on both Forums. Both Forums now often overlook cross referencing to individual technical threads/posts as long as you do not over do it chasing folks away from one Forum to the other :thumbsup:

You will be amazed that the guys/gals here on this Forum also participate with identical contributions (and IDs) on the other Forum as well. My wife (Dynamite) has her Corvette (L98) which I modified and I am trying to get her involved at least on CF as she does assist me considerably when modifying both the LT5 and L98 :)

I think there are some gals on this Forum as well but some of the language kind of keeps the gals at bay (Dynamite is banned here but not because of my wifes language more because she defends me) :handshak:

My wife is a CA gal and..........that is her license plate in my Avatar :sign10:

Now if we could only get some gals to get together with a nice News Letter article regarding corvette gals who also take great pride in the corvette hobby. I know Jim's wife is definitley a contributing partner as shown in the many great photos of Jim's Alaska trip. Just another idea for a News Letter contribution.

A Gift.......I mean gif from Scott

QB93Z
10-10-2012, 08:52 AM
The posts in this thread have gotten way off track from the original topic. I have locked this thread because it has become a sparring match that is not in keeping with the guidelines for the Registry Forum.

Jim Voter