PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise at start

richie
08-10-2012, 04:21 PM
HI All, I have a 90 I got a few months ago. Whenever it's sits and is started the top of the motor is noisy just for a second, until the oil gets up. I was told it could be the timing chain or the tensioner. Any ideas?

efnfast
08-10-2012, 05:21 PM
richie, pretty typical for these motors for the reasons Cliff (Dynomite) stated.

richie
08-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks, so it doesn't really lead to something down the road? the motor has 39k...Richie

efnfast
08-10-2012, 06:16 PM
No, other than looks from people. "Oh, listen to that thing 'bout ready to blow up." Between chain rattle and the looks from the puff of smoke when you start. The 90's don't have exhaust valve seals and tend to smoke on start up.

efnfast
08-10-2012, 06:42 PM
BTW richie, how do you like 'er? Details and pics? -Steve

richie
08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Hi Steve, found the z in upstate NY. Needed a few things (radio repair, sleepy head light door, ant. mast and tires, a bent wheel and a good clean. Also lost a fuel pump the first hundred miles. I know welcome to the club) It is blk on blk. Drives great and runs strong. I have a 68 conv. 327/350 in pristine condition and prefer to drive the z most of the time. No Pics yet but soon...I guess I will get use to the noise wasn't looking foward to a tear down anyway...Richie

scottfab
08-10-2012, 11:48 PM
HI All, I have a 90 I got a few months ago. Whenever it's sits and is started the top of the motor is noisy just for a second, until the oil gets up. I was told it could be the timing chain or the tensioner. Any ideas?

It is in fact the CCT but there is an improved design out that quiets this.