PDA

View Full Version : GM recalls 2005, 2006 Corvettes after roofs fly off

WB9MCW
05-28-2006, 12:02 AM
General Motors Corp. will recall more than 30,000 Corvettes after customers complained that the roof flew off while driving the $45,000 sports car.

The automaker received 21 reports of roofs detaching from 2005 and 2006 model-year Chevrolet Corvettes coupes, spokesman Alan Adler said today. The problem didn't cause any accidents or injuries, he said.

GM, the world's largest automaker, asked owners of 2005 models to bring their cars into dealerships last year to fix the problem. The company issued a formal recall today after learning roofs also flew off 2006 models, Adler said.

``It's a good thing that GM is doing this recall finally, because no roof is worse than a weak roof,'' said Joan Claybrook, president of the Washington-based consumer group Public Citizen. ``The roof endangers other highway users as it flies off.''

The recall applies only to 2005 and 2006 vehicles with roofs that are designed to be detachable by releasing latches. The unintentional separation occurs when adhesive that holds the base of the roof to the car frame weakens and fails, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said today on its Web site.

Owners with problem roofs may notice water leaks or a snapping noise when going over a bump, Adler said. GM received 395 reports of partial separating of the roof, in addition to the 21 cases of it flying off.

The Corvette roof weighs less than 10 pounds and is made of plastic that is molded into a magnesium frame, he said. The base price of a 2006 Corvette is about $45,000, according to Detroit- based GM's Web site.

Aurora40
05-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Why would they bother to include a quote from Joan Claybrook??

WB9MCW
05-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Why would they bother to include a quote from Joan Claybrook??

Because is was an Blomburg ap news post!!!!:eusa_shhh

Corvette95
09-09-2006, 11:08 PM
I buddy of mine has a 06 Z06 (not supposed to be affected by the recall - roof not removable) well his seperated and almost flew off, so look for more recalls soon,.

WB9MCW
09-10-2006, 06:59 PM
The saga continues....

Jeffvette
09-10-2006, 07:13 PM
I buddy of mine has a 06 Z06 (not supposed to be affected by the recall - roof not removable) well his seperated and almost flew off, so look for more recalls soon,.

Roof panel fixture is the same for Coupe/Z06. Z06 has the magnesium housing affixed permamently, while the coupe is removable. The Z06/Coupe roof outer panel (the one that sperates) is exactly the same. So if it effects the base coupe, it will also effect the Z06.

WB9MCW
09-11-2006, 12:40 AM
so a fixed roof coupe is really a removable one that has now been permentally attached? how is this very safe and rigid? some special process of affixing for corvettes? does it hold up on a rollover? how about compared to c4 and 5 is the new design on the c6?

Jeffvette
09-11-2006, 02:27 AM
so a fixed roof coupe is really a removable one that has now been permentally attached? how is this very safe and rigid? some special process of affixing for corvettes? does it hold up on a rollover? how about compared to c4 and 5 is the new design on the c6?

Z06 with the roof panel removed. See the additional brackets that take place of the lock spots for the coupe on the B pillar?

http://www.pnwzr1.net/Jeff/Z06.jpg

Shot showing a bare frame for display. They tow this around to all the ALMS events and push it out at some of the BG events. You can see the magnesium roof panel in place.

http://www.pnwzr1.net/Jeff/Z06_frame.jpg

WB9MCW
09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Most interesting Jeff..thnx for the detailed response!

Jim Jones
10-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Put screws in the roof so they can have a nifty ratchet like I have for mine! :D

Jim

Z51JEFF
04-30-2008, 03:29 AM
Z06 with the roof panel removed. See the additional brackets that take place of the lock spots for the coupe on the B pillar?

http://www.pnwzr1.net/Jeff/Z06.jpg

Shot showing a bare frame for display. They tow this around to all the ALMS events and push it out at some of the BG events. You can see the magnesium roof panel in place.

http://www.pnwzr1.net/Jeff/Z06_frame.jpg
Is this Z06 one of the converted cars or is this one that is waiting for the top repair?