PDA

View Full Version : Cammed my Z06 this past weekend

Alberta_ZR1
06-18-2012, 11:52 PM
I know there are some who don't like the Z06 because they bleed ZR1 through and through, which is awesome:handshak:.....but seeing how my ZR1 has Z06 sibling, I decided to drop a cam into her this past weekend...let me know what you think.

If all goes well with the tune, I should be pulling around 500 or so at the wheels...I'll post dyno sheets once I get that finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAstM_eV0O0&feature=youtu.be

LGAFF
06-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice!

FU
06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
It'll be all in the tune. And it will be good. Livernois put's out some real nice products !

mgg
06-19-2012, 06:01 PM
You are killing me!!! I really want a yellow C6 Z06. I just love these cars. They are truly fantastic. I love my ZR-1 but I want a C6 Z06 badly. Good luck with the tune. Car sound great!

Alberta_ZR1
06-19-2012, 08:16 PM
It'll be all in the tune. And it will be good. Livernois put's out some real nice products !

Yeah I looked at piles and piles of camshafts and after the sound and spec's, definitely decided to go with Livernois. The only struggle now is finding a reputable tuner, the company I had wanted to get the tune done with, who is suppose to be one of the best in Western Canada, doesn't know how to return emails or phone calls I guess.

I was debating on going down the HP Tuners (http://www.hptuners.com/) route...anybody have any experience with their product? Seems like you can get in there and play with all the parameters.

You are killing me!!! I really want a yellow C6 Z06. I just love these cars. They are truly fantastic. I love my ZR-1 but I want a C6 Z06 badly. Good luck with the tune. Car sound great!

Thanks for the compliments mgg and everyone else. I'm definitely satisfied with the end result. Only took about 1.5 days of leisure work to put it in, which was the most satisfying. Most shops quoted me 28 hours labor to do it...said the motor had to come out...

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk135/tbishup/IMG_12923332.jpg

FU
06-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Just for starters why not pull the ECM and send it to Livernois ? At worst you will have a great baseline. They will get you real close with an excellent tune. If not close to spot on. No one know's Livernois cam tuning like Livernois. Food for thought.

I had a ZO with a mild Stalker Ragin Racin cam West coast cyl. heads and headers on stock exhaust. Went 10.30 at 133+. I miss that car.

Kevin
06-19-2012, 10:17 PM
friend of mine bought a red one to use as a track car, that way she doens't have to worry about stuffing her lambo into the tires

Alberta_ZR1
06-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Just for starters why not pull the ECM and send it to Livernois ? At worst you will have a great baseline. They will get you real close with an excellent tune. If not close to spot on. No one know's Livernois cam tuning like Livernois. Food for thought. .

I had contemplated that idea too. They're just so far away and the summer months are so short up here, would hate to sacrifice 2-3 weeks waiting on the tune. I'll have to call them and see how long if we expedited the package each way...good suggestion though :cheers:

FU
07-30-2012, 12:20 PM
How'd it all work out Tyler ??

Alberta_ZR1
07-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Oh thanks for asking!! and as always, the easy things always turn into a major pain in the a$s.

I originally drove the car 2.5 hours out to Tilley, Alberta where there is a tuning shop who comes highly recommended throughout the industry as one of the best GM tuning guru’s in the West. Personally, he may have been good back when, but I think he is just coasting off his past reputation now. I arrive, he connects up the car, downloads a tune (I'm assuming a previously built one for a similar set up because he never started or even ran the car), after a 20 minute download tells me to take the car for a burn. I come back, he asks how it is, I say it feels fine. "That'll be $520.00".

Have the car home for about 2 weeks and I start getting some driveability concerns that progressively get worse. Two fail-to-starts, and then some serious erratic idling (not the good kind) and surging at low RPM's. I email him and say "ahh the car is acting up here and it getting progressively worse". I get the usual excuses "must be bad fuel or the hot temperatures lately" – Yep bad fuel after a third tank, nobody else apparently runs a Z06 in the Southern states and I think the lunar pull might be having an effect too

I was put in contact with an amazing retired software guy who does tunes as a past time. We do some data logging or at least try to because my computer was locked. But from what we could see, there wasn't too much done and the motor was really struggling with timing, AFR, knock issues and there was even a DTC for mis-fire detection.

I go back and forth through email with my original tuner and it eventually results in me driving back out there and having him unlock my computer, reflash to factory and refund me my $520.00. I then drive home, with my retired software tuner in the passenger seat laptop connected. After $100.00 for the tuning license, we spent about 8 hours total tuning this car in (cold starts to temp, WOT tuning, and around town tuning!)

He was my saving grace!! So now the car runs AWESOME!! For example, under WOT there is an error rating of 0.03% for what the computer is demanding for AFR and what the motor is actually doing...that’s pretty damn good to me.:dancing

Best part, he has a line on a dyno that will probably be free to do a few pulls.

Sorry for the lengthy story, but just the reminder of this fiasco makes me mad...10 hours worth of fuel down the drain.

FU
08-12-2012, 09:09 AM
There's nothing like a well tuned car Tyler. Nice pair of Z's there :cheers:

vilant
08-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Sweet ride, I'm jealous. At least the tuner was reputable enough to refund your money, although expecting what you paid for would of been better.

Alberta_ZR1
03-12-2013, 01:13 AM
So feeding off the cam I installed last spring, I've since upgraded my Z06 even further this past month.

To compliment my cam, I stuck on a new set of PRC 265cc CNC'd heads with titanium intake and stainless steel valves, Kooks 1-7/8 long tube headers, Kooks 3" x-pipe, and topped it all off with a Akrapovic stainless steel slip-on (axle back exhaust).

Exhaust clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEwF73OUbE)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk135/tbishup/image1_zpsd438822a.jpeg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk135/tbishup/image3_zpsccd3c6e8.jpeg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk135/tbishup/image4_zps5a2c02f7.jpeg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk135/tbishup/image5_zpscded9bca.jpeg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk135/tbishup/image6_zps69401645.jpeg

Hog
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Thats disappointing about the western tuner. Ive dealt with him before, he would do a up a calibration, email it to me and I would test it in the vehicle. We did about 7 or 8 calibrations. I have heard good and bad things about them.

I'm glad you got your money back, but you did spend a lot of time/money on the commute. I'm also surprised he locked the PCM, I didnt realize he did that. He has had some serious issues with people ripping off his work. So much so that the diesel tuning setup for the old GM 6.5 turbo diesel trucks that he sells, will only allow for changing the calibration and flash that calibration into the PCM. He wont allow the tuning to READ a PCM.
Did you not want him to do a dyno tune on your Vette? He got a new Superflow a couple years ago, just curious why he didnt dyno tune it?

In your video above titled "Exhaust Clip", is the car warm or cold in the vid? Just wondered if it was on fast idle or not. What does your car idle at when hot?

Those headers and exhaust look like very high quality pieces. Good work, I bet its a blast to drive.

peace
Hog

Fully Vetted
03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I def think we need a new sound bite with the new headers and exhaust!

FU
03-12-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm liking those heads. Who will be doing the tuning ?

Alberta_ZR1
03-13-2013, 12:14 AM
...Did you not want him to do a dyno tune on your Vette? He got a new Superflow a couple years ago, just curious why he didnt dyno tune it?...In your video above titled "Exhaust Clip", is the car warm or cold in the vid? Just wondered if it was on fast idle or not. What does your car idle at when hot?

Those headers and exhaust look like very high quality pieces. Good work, I bet its a blast to drive.

peace
Hog

I sure did want him to dyno tune it. It was discussed both in emails and on the phone. Funny enough, when I got there he was working on a 6.5L that he limped out of the shop long enough for me to pull in and for him to give a 5 minute tune job. When I had inquired about the dyno tune & run, he basically blew it off like he wasn't interested in the work of hooking it up, etc. I mean he didn't even run the car to see what all was going on after fact...[-X

In the video the car wasn't quite to operating temperature. That and it needs a new tune..the PCM probably doesn't know what to do with this new found airflow...the idle is set at 750rpm

All of the parts were spectacular...I can't wait to drive it. Only another 2.5 months. I still have 2 feet of snow on the front lawn and they're calling for more snow this weekend.

-Tyler

Alberta_ZR1
03-13-2013, 12:17 AM
I def think we need a new sound bite with the new headers and exhaust!

You're in luck. There is one in my post from yesterday...a link is imbedded within the words "Exhaust Clip".

I'm liking those heads. Who will be doing the tuning ?

I was put into contact with a very knowledgeable local tuner from another Corvette Forum. He and I spent about 6.5 hours last summer dialing the car in on the street, with the wide band and all. He's already agreed to help again this spring.