PDA

View Full Version : First Vette and First ZR1 in Alberta, Canada.

Rusty
06-04-2012, 04:06 PM
I purchased my first Corvette, a 1994 black/black ZR1, last week. It's far from pristine at ~140,000 km and some non-stock parts here and there, but what I really want from it is to have fun with it (as in going for drives and making the drive to work more entertaining as opposed to racing/showing).

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed now that I'm beginning to figure out what work needs to be done... brakes right away and maybe fuel injectors (still figuring out if those are the cause of a problem). Plus some "should be done soon" projects... mufflers, speedometer correction (reading incorrectly because of changed gear ratio), wheels, suspension. Not to mention I need to adjust the grade of the entrance to my garage before I can get it in/out to drive it! Just hope it's all worth it...

Looking forward to reading here to help figure out the technical ins-and-outs of these cars.

efnfast
06-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I've only been at this a year and can't believe the amount of help available here. Good luck.
Steve

tomcat
06-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I purchased my first Corvette, a 1994 black/black ZR1, last week. It's far from pristine at ~140,000 km and some non-stock parts here and there, but what I really want from it is to have fun with it (as in going for drives and making the drive to work more entertaining as opposed to racing/showing).

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed now that I'm beginning to figure out what work needs to be done... brakes right away and maybe fuel injectors (still figuring out if those are the cause of a problem). Plus some "should be done soon" projects... mufflers, speedometer correction (reading incorrectly because of changed gear ratio), wheels, suspension. Not to mention I need to adjust the grade of the entrance to my garage before I can get it in/out to drive it! Just hope it's all worth it...

Looking forward to reading here to help figure out the technical ins-and-outs of these cars.

Welcome to the BrotherHood.
Manfred E............
91 ZR1 #906
http://pnwzr1.net

hiperf406
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Welcome to the madness - from Spruce Grove. lorne

DaveK
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Great to have another Canadian ZR-1 on board. Welcome to the gang, hope you get lots of smiles out of your new purchase and don't be shy about asking questions!

Cheers :cheers:

Dave

Alberta_ZR1
06-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Hey Rusty,

Glad to see another ZR1 in these woods.

Did you happen to purchase the black 94 that was on kijiji here in Calgary? It had the black grand sport wheels etc?

I'm in Calgary, got a 93 and just finished completely "restoring" the motor two winters ago. I've got all the GM tech manuals and could lend a hand if you're in the area. PM me if you're interested. :cheers:

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14663

Rusty
06-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks all for the welcome! I've already been discovering that there's lots of information here, and I'm sure I'll be asking questions as I get into things.

Alberta_ZR1... yes, that was the '94 Vette on Kijiji. I'd seen the ad there for over a month as I've been looking at used Vettes, and kept coming back to it... a ZR1 in an affordable price range ended up being too tempting! Of course, with the "affordable" price comes some maintenance/repair requirements, and I really appreciate the offer of help. I'm in Lethbridge, which isn't too far. Where did you get the tech manuals?

Alberta_ZR1
06-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Yeah that 94 was a decent looking car and for the money it's a ton of fun, even if it needs a little TLC off the start. Did you ever get a chance to see the black 1990 that has been on there for a while? The owner of it used to work for GM back in the day and it is a very clean example of a ZR1 too

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1990-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR-1-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ377557614

You can get tech manuals off of ebay for around $100.00 + shipping usually. I found this ad just looking quickly and it looks like they deliver to Canada.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Corvette-and-ZR1-Original-Shop-Manual-Set-94-ZR-1-OEM-Chevrolet-Service-/360453907833?hash=item53ecba2579&item=360453907833&pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr

Lethbridge isn't too far. I'll probably be down that way in July for Street Wheelers.

flyin ryan
06-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Welcome Rusty :handshak:

ZZZZZR1
06-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Congrats on your 1994!!!

What are the last 3 of your vin?

I have #150 (1994)

Cheers

David

scottfab
06-27-2012, 10:25 AM
I looked at the Black 90.
Says it has 89000 kilometers.
What's a kilometer.

SteelBlueZR1
06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood. I purchased my car a year ago, and after fixing all the niggling issues, she is as good as new, and has been very reliable... I feel for you about regrading your driveway, as I could not get my lowered Z up my driveway, and had to fabricate new spring wedges from urethane to raise it for realistic ground clearance.
Trust me, it will be worth it, and ZR-1 Net is the best and most encouraging/helpful online community bar none!

scottfab
06-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood. I purchased my car a year ago, and after fixing all the niggling issues, she is as good as new, and has been very reliable... I feel for you about regrading your driveway, as I could not get my lowered Z up my driveway, and had to fabricate new spring wedges from urethane to raise it for realistic ground clearance.
Trust me, it will be worth it, and ZR-1 Net is the best and most encouraging/helpful online community bar none!

I've often thought some aftermarket vendor would have made an on demand lift kit for just this by now. A one button affair that could lift 2in to get over speed bumps and driveways.

Crusin
09-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Welcome Rusty, great forum if one needs info for ZR-1. I also am Canadian and live in Ontario.