PDA

View Full Version : Anyone yet figure a way to clean stains on engine?

WARP TEN
05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
I have not been watching the forums for a long time and I wondered if anyone has come up with a safe and effective way to clean the stains that can appear on our engines due to use of cleaning fludis or other reasons. Mine is not terrible but it would be nice to be able to get the car looking new again. Or is refnishing really the only way to go? Thanks--Bob

Kevin
05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
i've had some success with a colinite product that Gordon told me about. i'll have to check on it this week, can't remember the number

John Boothby
05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Your "new" polo green '95 sounds like the one that lived around the corner from me. It had around 14K on the od in '05 then he sold it. I do not know to whom he sold it, but there were only 31 polo green ZR-1's in 95. And the milage would be about right. Did your's once reside in Las Vegas? Anyway, you have a nice car there!!

XfireZ51
05-21-2012, 01:08 PM
I have not been watching the forums for a long time and I wondered if anyone has come up with a safe and effective way to clean the stains that can appear on our engines due to use of cleaning fludis or other reasons. Mine is not terrible but it would be nice to be able to get the car looking new again. Or is refnishing really the only way to go? Thanks--Bob

Bob,

If you're interested in refinishing, let me know. Got a great paint guy who did mine.

SteelBlueZR1
05-21-2012, 11:34 PM
I just spent a few hours with Meguiar's Ultimate (liquid) Compound and microfiber cloths, followed by polishing with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and the engine paint stains were removed, and the paint become shiny and deep in appearance, but even with a 6k mile car, it took many applications to remove all the stains and dirt.
I followed the recommendations of Jim Voter, except used different products. His full write up is at: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10039&highlight=engine+clean

WARP TEN
05-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Your "new" polo green '95 sounds like the one that lived around the corner from me. It had around 14K on the od in '05 then he sold it. I do not know to whom he sold it, but there were only 31 polo green ZR-1's in 95. And the milage would be about right. Did your's once reside in Las Vegas? Anyway, you have a nice car there!!

According to the Auto Check it was a So Cal car all its life and it belonged to the last owner since 1998. Seems like an OK car and runs well but Marc will get it as soon as he can take it to go over it.

WARP TEN
05-22-2012, 10:51 AM
I just spent a few hours with Meguiar's Ultimate (liquid) Compound and microfiber cloths, followed by polishing with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and the engine paint stains were removed, and the paint become shiny and deep in appearance, but even with a 6k mile car, it took many applications to remove all the stains and dirt.
I followed the recommendations of Jim Voter, except used different products. His full write up is at: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10039&highlight=engine+clean

Thanks Bert--I read that series of posts and will try Jim's recommendations.-Bob

randy ransome
06-09-2012, 11:23 PM
I used a Mr. Clean Magic eraser and had Good results. It surprised me how good it worked.