PDA

View Full Version : OH NO, GRAYISH EXHAUST SMOKE!

HAWAIIZR-1
03-28-2004, 01:47 PM
I was doing mild accelerating last night and noticed smoke coming from exhaust in the rear view mirror. I am hoping this is not something serious. I spent the morning in the factory service manual to see what I could find and not much. I have noticed strong odor from exhaust when idling also like it is running rich. I hope not burning oil. I can't remember the differences between color of smoke i.e. blue versus white or gray and any help would be appreciated. I'm going to pull the spark plugs today and change it and the fuel filter.

I have been going through the car maintenance wise and trying to learn all about the ZR-1. Yesterday was first oil change for engine, trans and differential and replaced master cylinder. PCV valve were also replaced.

Thanks for tips in advance.

rkreigh
03-29-2004, 07:05 AM
don't sweat it too much. the 90's don't have exh seals and tend to burn a little bit of oil.

it's normal.

HAWAIIZR-1
03-29-2004, 12:28 PM
rkreigh,

Thanks for that tip, I had no idea. I did remove the plugs and notice there is quite of bit of carbon build up from what I can see. The plugs aren 't burning as clean as I would like also. I will have to troubleshoot all the other area that are causing this since I have to do a full tune up anyway.

One major mistake was putting in too much oil and I guess it takes alot longer to get a good reading and I know for the future now. I'm 1/2 quart over and need to remove the excess oil which is bad for all the other reasons.

Thanks again and this site is awesome for newbies like me to get help for all the subject matter experts here. I don't think I would have gotten this ZR-1 if not for the help of these type of websites.