PDA

View Full Version : If anyone's in central NH Saturday

batchman
04-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Looks like I'm running the New England Region SCCA autocross in the front parking lot at NHMS. We're there for the day and spectating is free through the fence but I think there's a cost if you go in. I like this site as it's a first gear romp in a fishbowl. Too bad my tires are on their last legs but I'll still be having fun as long as I don't go over sound limits...

In fact I'll probably be working sound (I'm the chief, it's a fox/henhouse thing) so I'll be near the entrance corner when not running - I'm the bald guy with the beard and ponytail LOL.

Cheerio,
- Jeff

efnfast
04-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Jeff, what time? I'm just outside Concord, with no major plans today. HMMM.

tomtom72
04-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Soooo Jeff, how did it go? I know you had fun.:thumbsup:

:cheers:
Tom

batchman
04-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Jeff, what time? I'm just outside Concord, with no major plans today. HMMM.

Sorry I didn't see this until now, was kind of tied up yesterday ;). It's an all day event, I think first car off was maybe 9:30, and beyond a 1/2 hr lunch break I think we ran until 5 or so.

Soooo Jeff, how did it go? I know you had fun.

I sure did have some fun! I was sweating sound limits so I wimped out and shifted to 2nd through the uphill segment past the sound meter and down through a pretty quick crossover, the hill there actually helps more than you'd think. Made a bunch of mistakes, different ones each run. Finally in the 2nd heat after missing the shift to 2nd on my first run I said screw it and stuck with first for my remaining 3 runs. Oh yeah. Marched my times down and was OK with the sound limits. Not enough to catch my pesky class leaders but this one I can chalk up to old tires - if I hadn't cheaped out and tried for the one more event on these I woulda had him. Might have had 'em if I'd just run 1st all day.

My 99 Cobra was good training for the Z on this sort of site. Both are a real hoot in the small parking lots but with the tire footprint, lower CG and better suspension (you didn't hear me say this) the Z is even more so.

Best,
- Jeff

batchman
04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
By the looks of this shot I was finding more grip than I thought!!!

Cheerio,
- Jeff

tomtom72
05-04-2012, 11:02 AM
can you say Porsche! That is dramatic!

Tom

batchman
08-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Well New England SCCA's Race-Against-Lukemia weekend is almost here. I'll be doing the 1st gear romp in a fishbowl again on Sunday. Lots else to see as well since club racing and rallycross folks are busy all weekend too.

At least this time I have good tires. Still waiting on VB&P for my front spring so I can move to Penskes. They're now weeks overdue.

Cheers,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
When and where Jeff? I went last year, but went inside. Guess I don't read well. I'm still just outside Concord, so maybe I'll take a blast over again. -Steve

batchman
08-02-2012, 03:30 PM
When and where Jeff?

NHMS on Sunday is when I'm running, we're in the front parking lot. First car off is usually around 9:30 or so, I don't know which heat I'll be running in. There'll probably be 3 or maybe 4 heats.

So, if I'm not running, I will be (as long as I don't break, mechanically or sound limits)!

on edit I wish I could offer a ride, as I'm probably not contending it'd be fine from a performance perspective, but this club has insurance restrictions that keep non-members out of the seat. Sorry to say.

Cheers,
- Jeff

FU
08-02-2012, 04:43 PM
By the looks of this shot I was finding more grip than I thought!!!

Cheerio,
- Jeff

Nice driving too ! :cheers:

efnfast
08-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Jeff, you looked great today, and the car sounded great. Sorry I didn't have the opertunity to meet you. _-Steve

batchman
08-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi Steve, real sorry I couldn't get out there to meet you. Before that new building went in we would grid in that lot too so it'd be a lot more opportunity to interact. Gridding in the back is just plain isolating. I got word that you were out there but couldn't get out to check until shutdown, and by then the show was over and you'd already left.

I had a ball, couldn't quite catch that pesky 8 but at least I split the two drivers - first time this year. Made the top 10 overall too!

I loved the pivot, that club doesn't usually do that element but a bunch of my former clubs always did. Hope it was near as fun to watch as it was to do! Thanks for coming by and hope to catch you sometime somewhere!

Stiff and sore as hell,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Looked like a ball Jeff. Rough on the car?
I bet 8 or so vettes came cruising through the parking lot. Had a couplel guys stop and talk for a while.

batchman
08-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Rough on the car?

Not particularly, beyond hubs as a wear item. And big $ tires (crack addiction). I probably put more wear on starter, door hardware, seat and ignition than most daily drives as I'm into/out of/starting the car once a 1/2 or full mile on race days, but beyond that with good oil discipline it seems a whole lot easier on the hardware than 1/4mi racing.

The other site I frequent is an obsolete airstrip (Devens), those courses are 2-3x longer and that's where the hub wear really kicks in. There's a club, SCCNH, that runs the NHMS lot pretty regularly. The bumps there are getting a little tough but that's probably because I've doubled the spring rates. Getting ready to do that again, may make that site a little less fun next year...

I bet 8 or so vettes came cruising through the parking lot. Had a couplel guys stop and talk for a while.

I think there were 4 other C4s and a C5Z running that day, there's a couple others that come out and play. With me stuck in the back 40, glad you found some company out there.. LOL!

Best,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-06-2012, 06:20 PM
I talked to lady that was running the open wheel cars. She said you guys had a real noise issue at Devens.

Guy in the C5 seemed to get quit a bit better as the day progressed.

Wife came along for the ride, I think she had a good time also.-Steve

batchman
08-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I talked to lady that was running the open wheel cars. She said you guys had a real noise issue at Devens.

Guy in the C5 seemed to get quit a bit better as the day progressed.

Wife came along for the ride, I think she had a good time also.-Steve

Ayup, they built some McMansions and there's someone there who objects. I still think we're a big improvement over the c130s and helicopters, never mind the artillery practice I could hear two towns away when the base was active, but what do I know...

The guy in the C5Z is amazing, last year's driver of the year. It was his fiance that was running in my heat - she's getting pretty darn good too...

Hope to catch you another time. The Devens events aren't as easy to watch but are more access friendly. I'm told with a $15 weekend membership rides become possible ;), but for a few bucks more you can run yourself - here, try this crack pipe! Just watch out, my wife has become an addict now too...

Best,
- Jeff

batchman
08-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Well it's that time again, the SCCA's Race Against Leukemia weekend at NHMS. There's all manner of stuff going on through both days, for me it's an Autocross event in the front parking lot on Sunday. My favorite event, a 1st gear romp in a fishbowl. Might even get my wife (the car owner) to co-drive her car this time!

I haven't managed to change anything on the car, and it's only my 3rd event this season, but I know I'll have fun and hope if anyone swings by that they do too!

Cheers,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-05-2013, 06:12 PM
When is it Jeff, this coming weekend? -Steve

batchman
08-05-2013, 06:51 PM
When is it Jeff, this coming weekend? -Steve

Doh! Yes, why yes it is. Just testing to see if you're awake, Steve!

And despite the thread title my event is on Sunday. There's stuff happening all through the facility all weekend though - plenty to see. I think if you get there early you can sign the waiver and get a spectator wristband at the Solo window that's good for the weekend, it's either free or very cheap. After the Solo registration closes (either day) though it's the track's standard charge to enter, and I'm not sure what that is...

In the past I thought I might be able to offer rides to anyone who bought a $15 weekend membership but given that my wife is likely to co-drive I probably need to save the seat for her.

Best,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Got company, might be able to talk him into coming.

batchman
08-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Wish I had video...

Launch hard through slight kick right, stay matted through not-quite-slalom left.

Pulling hard to big brakes, wide-in for clamshell right.

Nail it and wriggle over the bumps to skim the cone wall, modulate.
Hard right then hard throttle unwinding through the box to big brakes.

Pivot left, entering just wide enough to threaten it with rear wheel.

Hard throttle drifting rear to the right (saving the pivot cone) thread between two clamshells tracking just a little outside the gap between their outside cone walls, lift and launch, a tight exit aligns the uphill slalom into a straight with manic wiggles.

Threaten outside cone wall to wide arc 180 right, wait for it, exit WOT downhill, take distance out big brake then nail directly through left kick, modulate, watch that pinched exit cone and nail throttle as soon as car is almost settled. 26.140 seconds, good for 9th on the day. Bwahooo!

The Course (2nd line from yesterday too) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96970921@N03/9497939651/in/set-72157635052295470)

I just have too much fun in that little parking lot. Had a great day, my wife didn't do quite as well but not badly at all considering how differently this car works than her L98/Z51. Of course, after her first run she was firmly hating the car, then she got closer to my time and inclined, "Maybe I hate it a little less". By the end of the day she was admitting "horsepower doesn't s*ck!".

More pics from Sunday here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96970921@N03/sets/72157635052295470/

I have to clean that car up sometime, and even though I intentionally waited to put in the stiffer springs (bumpy site!) the proof is there I need more spring rate!

Cheers,
- Jeff

efnfast
08-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Nice Jeff. I should have come over.....I forgot. -Steve

batchman
08-14-2013, 04:14 PM
One of these days I'll get there Saturday afternoon and do the warm laps....

Cheers,
- Jeff

tomtom72
08-16-2013, 09:13 AM
I envy you so very much Jeff! Glad you & your wife had a great time.

Tom

batchman
08-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Tom,

Clearly we should held off and done Bob's injectors this past Saturday, then you'd already be in the neighborhood for the Sunday event.

If you ever get the itch to try a Devens event drop me a PM.

These cars are fun to flog!
- Jeff

tomtom72
08-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Tom,

Clearly we should held off and done Bob's injectors this past Saturday, then you'd already be in the neighborhood for the Sunday event.

If you ever get the itch to try a Devens event drop me a PM.

These cars are fun to flog!
- Jeff

:sign10: I doubt that Bob would go along with having a sick Z till now! :sign10:

I will drop a PM Jeff.....the itch I have....I'm just scared to scratch it! LOL Hey man you guys have a great outing this weekend! Turn & burn Brother!

Tom

batchman
08-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Here - take a little pull off this crack pipe - it'll be OK after a second or two....

Best,
- Jeff
Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague desire for something salty...

tomtom72
08-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Here - take a little pull off this crack pipe - it'll be OK after a second or two....

Best,
- Jeff
Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague desire for something salty...

:sign10: Oh, how apt a description! :angel12:

Now that I have crossed the 60k barrier I start to re-evaluate my stock ZR-1, and the pleasure I derive from keeping Her that way. I also start to question the validity of my decision to not go to an HPDE, or better yet enroll up at LRP's driving school....do you think I can get one of those "education loans" from the G? :redface:

Tom

batchman
08-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Tom, you've loved your '90 too much - and it is too nice - to be so merciless. The 60k mile mark means nothing, the car is almost 25 years old.

The only real answer is to buy another one as a track day toy...

Ain't I a stinker?
- Jeff

tomtom72
08-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Jeff, your logic is inescapable and flawless. :sign10: Okay, well it makes sense to me! :-D

A question, in a serious vein if you would be so kind. I noticed when doing the dragon that all I was doing was sliding the front thru the corners. I could hear & feel my front tires just scuffing across the apexes. Truly a new sensation to me, and I didn't think we were going all that fast. That's not to imply that I felt confident in trying to go any faster either! I went into one bend at what I thought was a reasonable pace, and the back end said "No Dummy!" and promptly left the parade. A bit of counter steer and dumping the clutch set things right quick enough. However I was rather red faced for awhile! LOL :o

I figured that this was a function of the total weight and the % over the front and too much torque and possibly being in the wrong gear? I resigned myself to that fact that in close quarters combat the C4 will never be a car you can toss around, or change your line in the middle of a corner. Fairly unforgiving of the dumb? Then I thought that I just don't know all that much about how to use the car's systems. I didn't feel the chassis jack up from the rear, like I do in a downhill off chamber corner....that's not a pleasant feeling at all! I figured I just don't know how to drive....a ZR-1 anyway. I was certain I could at least equal the velocity in my SS/NA 'balt in the same corner and at worst use the throttle to steer? Ah, confessions & ruminations of a novice!:sign10:

I need to go to driving school!
Tom

batchman
08-20-2013, 12:53 PM
My first question and related rant is about alignment. Much to my surprise when my wife dusted off her Z51 to try autocrossing the thing was just about undrivable. Factory alignment settings are presumably lawyer induced, set for understeer, but with power on tap the rear can become just as, if not more, evil.

If I recall correctly (and I may not), the by-the-book alignment includes positive front camber. That's just nuts. And many places won't vary from the book....

Best,
- Jeff

tomtom72
08-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Now see, I knew I joined up for a reason! LOL I just never thought about alignment...well, not seriously anyway.:o Thanks Jeff! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna dig out my results sheets and the FSM and look to see what are the settings. Then I'm going to get the book from the pizza box as I remember there are suggested alignment settings for track days in there. I also think that Dick Gulstrand's site has some suggestions also....if I remember right?:o

I don't know why I didn't expect the car to slide the front now that I think about it. I think, all things considered, I should have expected that to happen in very tight ( hair pins or switch backs ) corners. I guess I never spent too much time doing really tight stuff.

Tom

batchman
08-21-2013, 05:05 PM
CJ's* alignment for C4 "spirited driving":

(* = ol' Crazy Jeffrey)

- most negative camber you can get in front with both wheels the same
(probably -1.25 to -1.5 degrees)
- 0 toe in front
(this may be a little darty on rutted highway, if so crank toe in yourself, in half-turn
increments, until it behaves)
- caster as you like it, with both wheels about the same
(more caster = more effort, more return force, more neg camber gain in roll)
- twice as much negative camber in rear
(1.5x for zr-1)
- 1/4" total toe-in in rear
(1/8" for zr-1)

Your mileage may vary, and for gosh sakes find a parking lot to try these settings before any shenanigans on the street!

A good setup will give you neutral handling and allow either end to give up first depending on whether the deranged monkey is flailing the steering wheel or the throttle.

I find no matter what I do with ZR-1 stock brake setup I get big understeer under braking. That might be part of what caught you out also. The car really needs more rear bias, but the big thing to me is long pedal syndrome. Makes me very hesitant to change master cylinder (to fix the pedal) fearing I'll make bias problem worse...

Good luck!
- Jeff

tomtom72
08-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Brakes? Oh, that's the pedal in the middle....I always wondered what that did....:hal: I prefer my braking just like fine spirits...straight only. No Jeff, JMHO but the loose nut behind the wheel has to take full responsibility...I went to roll thru with to much...err, ahem, too much roll & proly the wrong line for my amount of roll; add in not enough tire temp too. The D3's need a lot of heat. One of these days I will buy a few books and try to learn useful stuff about car control...like trail braking! I have a feeling that might have been useful in this circumstance? :icon_stud

I still haven't dug out my alignment sheets....yea :redface: I save every one of them. I know, I know...I need help.

Oh about those ruts....very common where I live, and yes I do fight with them even now. LOL Although I hear the D3's are particularly adverse to ruts. I should ask my buddies who run PS2's about that?

Tom

efnfast
08-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Tom, my PS2's don't seem to follow ruts to bad, but keep talking, I'm learning a lot.

tomtom72
08-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Tom, my PS2's don't seem to follow ruts to bad, but keep talking, I'm learning a lot.

Not from me! :sign10: But yes Jeff, keep talking! :thumbsup:

Steve, you can ask Doug and Lou for for an evaluation of the depth of my ( I'm loath to use words like 'talent' or 'knowledge', but I ain't got no choice LOL ) knowledge and or talent.

Oh, you should see some of the ruts we have down here. My Cobalt almost gets lost in them! Summer heat + trucks + asphalt = 2' sea state....:sign10:

batchman
08-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Keep talking? But what if I run out of smart sounding things to say? Come to think of it, that's never stopped me before!

If you want a handful try giant sticky slicks plus an aggressive alignment on truck ruts. Now that's exciting!

Best,
- Jeff

tomtom72
08-23-2013, 07:44 AM
Chit! I can't find my alignment sheets. :censored: I knew I should have fixed my filing system...or cleaned my apartment. :sign10:

Jeff, you just keep teaching and Steve and I will just listen. :thumbsup:

Tom